The Hawaii Channel

Ken Smith

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98

I've reposted an earlier message under a new heading in the hopes this
string can be kept alive...

From: kty...@aol.com (Ktynew)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.hawaii
Subject: Re: Wind on Water
Date: 21 Oct 1998 02:05:02 GMT

k...@ideasmith.com (Ken Smith) wrote:
>In article <nortle-908...@news.lava.net>, sue...@pobox.com (Sue
>Larkin) wrote:
>
>> For years I've dreamed of THC...The Hawaii Channel...a cable channel with
>> 24 hour programming by and about Hawaii...travelogue shows...independent,
>> locally produced programs (ie: Tradewinds, Moonglow, Hulamooners)...music
>> videos...cooking shows...old series reruns...cultural programming (history,
>> olelo, song contests, hula, including lessons, Merrie Monarch, keiki hula,
>> music instruction, ie: ukulele, slack key and steel)...sporting
>> events...oceanography...boating...fishing...etc., etc., etc. Maybe even do
>> a special about SCH, li'dat!!! <g> I don't know the dynamics of a cable
>> channel but it's fun dreaming about it!
>
>This may actually not be a bad idea, especially since financing during the
>critical "seed" period could conceivably be obtaind from tourism promotion
>funds.

May be the right time for innovative ideas. The state's tourism
promotion/advertising budget is going to be directed by the newly created
tourism board beginning on January 1, 1999. They are expected to have double
the amount of funding which went to the HVB /HVCB. Unlike the situation now
where all the state government's tourism funding was funnelled through
HVB/HVCB, the new board has the authority to let contracts on a competitive
basis. HVCB is still expected to get the lion's share initially. But the
board is expected to have a $60 million per year marketing budget, leaving a
lot of room for new marketing expertise.

Sue Larkin

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98

I'd be very surprised if I was the first/only person to have this
idea...one that's been swimming around in my head for about 16 years!!!
I've received several emails expressing interest in the idea of THC. I'd
love to see more contributions here or thru email on programming content
and, especially, the start-up and operation of a cable channel. Has anyone
in this ng had _any_ experience working at one?

Aloha from Kakaako...Sue

Mel

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98

A Hawaii only cable channel is a good idea ONLY if it is PRIVATELY funded
by a corporation that wants to take such a risk. Have it support itself
with advertisements and infomercials during off hours.

I would be opposed to it if we had to fund something like this with
taxpayer money. The State government should NOT be going into the
broadcasting or cable business.

Mel
http://www.lava.net/~macpro
Take the Hawaii Radio & Television Guide 3rd Annual Poll

Sue Larkin

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98

In article <nortle-909...@news.lava.net>, nos...@nospam.net (Mel) wrote:

: A Hawaii only cable channel is a good idea ONLY if it is PRIVATELY funded

: by a corporation that wants to take such a risk.

Ah yes...the "r" word! I feel that risk is one of the major, if not THE
major, reasons a Hawaii channel doesn't already exist.

WANTED: major corporation or wealthy individual(s) looking for great tax
deduction! Screen credit provided!! <g>

Still dreaming in Kakaako...Sue

***Talent Search***:
http://film-hawaii.com/ReelServices/workshops.html

Ken Smith

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98

> A Hawaii only cable channel is a good idea ONLY if it is PRIVATELY funded

> by a corporation that wants to take such a risk. Have it support itself
> with advertisements and infomercials during off hours.
>
> I would be opposed to it if we had to fund something like this with
> taxpayer money. The State government should NOT be going into the
> broadcasting or cable business.

Quite correct, Mel. Absolutely.

But starting a company is a difficult thing, unless you've got millions in
cash sitting in a bank. The way you do it is you convince somebody to
provide what is called "seed capital," which you use to prepare a
prospectus and go around seeking startup capital. Startup capital usually
comes from deep-pockets investors who can afford the risk and venture
capital funds. Then you get the company started and get some product out
and some sales and after you have proof of concept, raising other capital
becomes easier, eventually possibly including a private or public stock
offering.

I was proposing that the tourism influence in Hawaii, such as the new
replacement for HVB, could conceivably provide seed capital to help start
such a venture. Often the seen capital provider is "cashed out" at the
next stage and has no further involvement. Another entity which could,
under ideal conditions, provide critical seed capital would be the Bishop
Estate.

But I agree 100 per cent that the network would have to be incorporated as
a for-profit private venture, and that the major start-up and growth
capital should come from investors who are seeking to make a profit on
their investments. Only then will the thing be run right (hungry and
scared).

People to talk to to get such a venture going: owners of Hawaii TV
stations, if local; Ted Turner (founder of CNN and many other cable
networks); Hawaii cable system owners if local; local deep-pockets
investors; wealthy mainlanders with vacation homes in the Islands; movie
stars with the same; Paul Allen, a microsoft mililonaire who has such
interests, and similar people. Ideally you get a list of recognizable and
informed and or wealthy investors and you use some of their name-clout to
help raise funds. You hire a very skilled television person with cable
channel development experience, using the seed capital, and develop a
funding proposal that can be shopped around to appropriate financers.

Another category of show which could be included and which Sue did not
mention would be shows like Jakes's exercise show, which I enjoy watching
because he produces it outdoors on the beach.

gi...@lava.net

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98

:wrote:

:: A Hawaii only cable channel is a good idea ONLY if it is PRIVATELY funded
:: by a corporation that wants to take such a risk.

:Ah yes...the "r" word! I feel that risk is one of the major, if not THE

:major, reasons a Hawaii channel doesn't already exist.

I would think that SHORTAGE OF MATERIAL would be a large factor. But the
largest factor in ANY television endeavor is RATINGS. How many people would
watch a Hawaii Channel? Hawaii is not for everyone.

gi...@lava.net

Open the Gates. Close the Windows.

Sue Larkin

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98

In article <nortle-909...@news.lava.net>, k...@ideasmith.com (Ken
Smith) wrote:
[...]
: Another category of show which could be included and which Sue did not

: mention would be shows like Jakes's exercise show, which I enjoy watching
: because he produces it outdoors on the beach.

Exercise show(s) are part of the "etc., etc., etc."!!! <g> As are shows
involving scuba diving, hiking <wave to Nathan and Dayle!>, artists of
Hawaii, marathon/triathlon/paddling events, agriculture, quilting, marine
biology, geology, local concerts, etc., etc., etc...ah heck, maybe even a
mini-QVC type show featuring nothing but made in Hawaii products.

The whole concept sounds _very_ expensive! But, the dream is fun!

BTW, does Gil Janklowicz (sp???) still do his exercise show?

Aloha from Kakaako...Sue

Talent Search:
http://film-hawaii.com/ReelServices/workshops.html

Kalani Mondoy

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98

Shortage of Material? Perhaps not. There are many things they can touch on.
If it's not catered towards tourist, and I'm assuming it's only to be shown in
HI, there's always your typical cultural thing that many people don't get to
learn in school that could benefit from television. I've seen it done with
Spanish channels, Vietnamese, Armenian, Persian, Indian, and of course Korean,
Japanese & Chinese. They're still going as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps it
might work. I'm sure it'll cost. But I don't think they can easily run out of
material.

Mel

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98

For what it's worth, here are my further thoughts on a Hawaii Channel:

>From: sue...@pobox.com (Sue Larkin)

>Ah yes...the "r" word! I feel that risk is one of the major, if not THE
>major, reasons a Hawaii channel doesn't already exist.

Yep. That is one of the major factors. I would assume that your concept of
a Hawaii Channel would be a nationally televised cable network with the
possibility of also going global via satellite.

Such a venture would be too expensive for the state to fund in its
entirety or even partially. And as I stated later I would be opposed using
any taxpayer funds for such a venture.

That said though, I know through the HVCB or whatever is succeeding it,
the state does pump in some money (through the TAT) and perhaps those
organizations could funnel some money into the development of a show or
advertising campaign on such a channel. Probably best to coordinate with a
private entity on this or better, if possible use only private funding.

>WANTED: major corporation or wealthy individual(s) looking for great tax
>deduction! Screen credit provided!! <g>

Try Bill Gates, Microsoft Network.. he likes Lanai..haha.

Or whoever owns the Travel Channel.. maybe they could make offshoot
networks of which the Hawaii Channel would be one.. I dunno.. I don;t know
who owns the Travel Channel.. probably Discovery Networks which is
probably owned by a larger entity.. Time Warner???

>From: k...@ideasmith.com (Ken Smith)

>But starting a company is a difficult thing, unless you've got millions in
>cash sitting in a bank.

Yep. I agree. Probably no one here in Hawaii could start a channel. Not
enough capital.

>I was proposing that the tourism influence in Hawaii, such as the new
>replacement for HVB, could conceivably provide seed capital to help start
>such a venture.

Is the replacement entity for the HVB going to be PRIVATE and NOT funded
with taxpayer money??? (Sorry I haven;t been paying attention much to this
new board or whatever it is.. what is it BTW?)

>Another entity which could, under ideal conditions, provide critical seed
capital would be the Bishop Estate.

Probably not at this time. The estate has too much problems now and can't
really afford to venture into something totally new.

>But I agree 100 per cent that the network would have to be incorporated as
>a for-profit private venture, and that the major start-up and growth
>capital should come from investors who are seeking to make a profit on
>their investments. Only then will the thing be run right (hungry and
>scared).

Yes!

>People to talk to to get such a venture going: owners of Hawaii TV
>stations, if local; Ted Turner (founder of CNN and many other cable
>networks);

I would assume some entity with national ties and experience would be the
best to undertake such a venture. You need a lot of money to start up a
whole new network, though along the way they would need to involve some of
the local broadcast/cable firms/talent in order to develop new program
content with the aim to market Hawaii for a broad, though more than
likely, upscale audience.

>From: gi...@lava.net

>I would think that SHORTAGE OF MATERIAL would be a large factor. But the
>largest factor in ANY television endeavor is RATINGS. How many people
would watch a Hawaii Channel? Hawaii is not for everyone.

True Gino.. Hawaii is NOT for everyone.. a Hawaii channel would probably
cater to a somewhat niche audience... All of the programs shown on such a
channel would have to be supported by advertising or be informercials
about the islands in and of themselves.

However I don't see any shortage for content.... Such a network could
probably carry first run travelogue and documentary types of shows during
some dayparts, and also air re-runs of off network shows (subject to
availability of course) like "Hawaii Five-0" and "Magnum" during other,
slower dayparts... Plus it could showcase past shows from the vaults of
Hawaii's TV and cable operations (if available) such as "Hawaiian Moving
Company", "Hawaii Stars", "Emme's Island Moments," "Pamela Young's Mixed
Plates", reruns during certain hours..... the cooking, fishing shows,
etc... There is a ton of content out there, and it would be kind of neat
having it all on one channel/network... of course financed only with
private dollars.

And if the thing proved to be successful (ratings wise that is), perhaps
in the long run programs created in Hawaii about Hawaii specifically for
the network could also be aired during prime time.....

The key to the content would be to make it appeal to the larger national
and international audiences.

>From: sue...@pobox.com (Sue Larkin)

>Exercise show(s) are part of the "etc., etc., etc."!!! <g> As are shows
>involving scuba diving, hiking <wave to Nathan and Dayle!>, artists of
>Hawaii, marathon/triathlon/paddling events, agriculture, quilting, marine
>biology, geology, local concerts, etc., etc., etc...ah heck, maybe even a
>mini-QVC type show featuring nothing but made in Hawaii products.

Yep. All of the above could be put into the programming mix... There is no
shortage of local TV program content here.. its just that we don't see it
all at once with the present system we have... so we may not be aware of
it all.

>The whole concept sounds _very_ expensive! But, the dream is fun!

It would be!

>BTW, does Gil Janklowicz (sp???) still do his exercise show?

I saw it one morning on KHON TV. Could be the guy is just selling the
reruns now.

MEL
Vote in the Hawaii Radio & Television Guide 3rd Annual Poll
http://www.lava.net/~macpro/HIRadioTVhomepage.html

Sue Larkin

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98

In article <nortle-909...@news.lava.net>, Kalani Mondoy
<motu...@earthlink.net> wrote:

: Shortage of Material? Perhaps not. There are many things they can touch on.

: If it's not catered towards tourist, and I'm assuming it's only to be
shown in
: HI, there's always your typical cultural thing that many people don't get to
: learn in school that could benefit from television. I've seen it done with
: Spanish channels, Vietnamese, Armenian, Persian, Indian, and of course
Korean,
: Japanese & Chinese. They're still going as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps it
: might work. I'm sure it'll cost. But I don't think they can easily run
out of
: material.

I, too, don't see a shortage of material as a problem. The cost of
producing the plethora of material is a costly problem. The grandiose dream
does include a national and, possibly, an Asian audience.(Does Asia have
cable channels?!) Enter the travelogue type shows featuring the various
islands and various activities (ie: Sea Life Park, Waimea Falls Park, the
aquarium, Kodak Hula Show, the zoo, Neiman Marcus <ggg>, etc.).

One fact Hawaii's film industry is keenly aware of is that every
photograph, every frame of film and every second of video tape that's
broadcast benefits our state's major industry...tourism. (And, yes, I
understand that not everyone is in favor of tourism.). However, the fact
remains that our economy is in the doldrums. Ditto tourism. Reservations
increase after events such as the Hawaiian Open, the Hula Bowl and the Pro
Bowl...all broadcast nationwide. Not everyone loves Hawaii but I feel there
is a sufficient audience base to support it. I loooooove Animal Planet and
I don't even own an animal...or care to! <g>

There's Animal Planet for those who are interested in animals...Discovery
Channel for those who are interested in nature...The Food Channel (or is it
Network?) for those interested in food and cooking...Court TV for legal
buffs...A&E and E! for those interested in arts and entertainment...the
Home Shopping Club and QVC for those interested in shopping...not to
mention all the movie, sports and news channels...etc., etc., etc...and, as
you state, Kalani, the various cultural channels.

Who knows...maybe Dancing Cat would start producing slack key music
videos!!! <g>

Fueling the dream in Kakaako!...Sue

Judy Barrett

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98

gi...@lava.net wrote:

> I would think that SHORTAGE OF MATERIAL would be a large factor. But the
> largest factor in ANY television endeavor is RATINGS. How many people would
> watch a Hawaii Channel? Hawaii is not for everyone.

Gino, Gino, Gino.....

You haven't been surfing the TUBE lately. Lordy, they have umpteen animal
channels including a specialty PET channel, there's an interior decorating
channel that costs EXTRA on Oceanic, a history channel, a travel channel, a
"fashion" channel, a bazillion music channels, a country western channel, I
don't know how many shopping channels PLUS all the endless infomercials.
(Hawaii must win the prize for running the greatest number of infomercials on
the planet.)

There have GOT to be enough people interested in Hawaii or old Hawaii TV shows
or Hawaii travel shows or Hawaiian history shows or Hawaiian music shows
or......

Or at least it sure seems that way in California! <g>

Judy

Judy Barrett

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98

Mel wrote:

> Is the replacement entity for the HVB going to be PRIVATE and NOT funded
> with taxpayer money??? (Sorry I haven;t been paying attention much to this
> new board or whatever it is.. what is it BTW?)

Actually, it's not a "replacement" but an additional layer of bureaucracy.
Instead of having HVCB lobby the legislature for funds, they set up a new
commission and funded that. The old HVCB will be one of the contenders for the
funds and will have to convince the new commission (whose name I cannot recall)
that they are the best qualified to carry out the job. Other organizations,
some private, will also be competing for the job.

I'm not quite clear on the concept of how this is supposed to save big $$$.

Judy

gi...@lava.net

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98

In <nortle-909...@news.lava.net>, on 10/23/98
at 10:50 AM, Judy Barrett <j-ba...@worldnet.att.net> said:

:gi...@lava.net wrote:

:> I would think that SHORTAGE OF MATERIAL would be a large factor. But the
:> largest factor in ANY television endeavor is RATINGS. How many people would
:> watch a Hawaii Channel? Hawaii is not for everyone.

:Gino, Gino, Gino.....

:You haven't been surfing the TUBE lately.

Nope, don't watch television much at all. Mostly, only during football
season...

Lordy, they have umpteen
:animal channels including a specialty PET channel, there's an interior
:decorating channel that costs EXTRA on Oceanic, a history channel, a
:travel channel, a "fashion" channel, a bazillion music channels, a
:country western channel, I don't know how many shopping channels PLUS
:all the endless infomercials. (Hawaii must win the prize for running the
:greatest number of infomercials on the planet.)

Fashion, pets, interior decorating have extremely wide bases of appeal.
Does the programming in Hawaii that is available have such a wide appeal?
And is there enough to fill the airwaves 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?

Fishing programs have broad appeal, but there are fishing shows that in-
clude Hawaii already. The same is true with other sporting events. Those
that get national coverage are the ones the nation is interested in.

:There have GOT to be enough people interested in Hawaii or old Hawaii TV

:shows or Hawaii travel shows or Hawaiian history shows or Hawaiian music
:shows or......

Are there any other States or Countries that have their own channel???

And remember Hawaii is one of the LEAST populated states in the country.
That is one of the reasons we are overlooked by many businesses. Cost
vs. customer base...

I think it is great to get more of the culture out to the world. I think
it would be more practical to get more of such programming to channels
that already exist.

Maybe if it was a Polynesian Channel, including all of the Polynesian
Countries and Cultures???

:Or at least it sure seems that way in California! <g>

California is a special case...

gi...@lava.net

Rather than make one woman miserable,
I'd rather try make a lot of them happy...

TikiRoom18

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98

>Are there any other States or Countries that have their own channel???

Yep.. the NASHVILLE Network. Its even a city, not a state. I would think the
population of Nashville is probably smaller than the state of Hawaii. i do
understand the push they have with Country music tho.

With all the mentions of cable channels.. here we have a 24 hour(when they
arent running infomercials in the middle of the night...) GOLF channel, a
RACING channel, an all-Spanish channel (its a national network out of Miami...)
COURT TV (arghhhh). These channels are definately special interest but as long
as they can get sponsors to pay promo time they will be on...

Ktynew

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98

It's not an additional layer of bureaucracy. Instead of having the legislature
and the governor make the funding decisions, the tourism board will. People in
the industry (the board members) should have more expertise in targeting how
and where the public marketing dollars are allocated than the politicians. The
process will still be political to some degree. There is always politics when
public funds are involved. But the decisions should be more rational. The
first year should be a good indicator. Will they change direction or will they
stay on the current course? Tourism in Hawaii isn't exactly going gangbusters
right now.

Makani

Oct 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/26/98

Sue Larkin wrote:

> In article <nortle-909...@news.lava.net>, nos...@nospam.net (Mel)
>wrote:
>
> : A Hawaii only cable channel is a good idea ONLY if it is PRIVATELY funded
> : by a corporation that wants to take such a risk.
>

> Ah yes...the "r" word! I feel that risk is one of the major, if not THE
> major, reasons a Hawaii channel doesn't already exist.
>

> WANTED: major corporation or wealthy individual(s) looking for great tax
> deduction! Screen credit provided!! <g>
>

> Still dreaming in Kakaako...Sue

Try OHA!

Kalani Mondoy

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98

Ooh, forgot about the Nashville Network. But yes you're right, it does have the
country music scene which is very widespread, so I can see why that station still
thrives. I forgot about Court TV as well. And yeah, I guess if you have sponsors,
it can survive.

Mel

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98

<motu...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Ooh, forgot about the Nashville Network. But yes you're right, it does
>have the country music scene which is very widespread, so I can see why
>that station still thrives. I forgot about Court TV as well. And yeah,
I >guess if you have sponsors, it can survive.

This is what is known as "narrowcasting" with networks targeted for a
certain segment of the viewing audience.... There are about 200 or so
cable networks, of which in Hawaii we get close to 100. A good stop on the
web would be to visit UltimateTV.com. Click on cable networks and you'll
find a long list of cable networks available, many of which aren't here in
Hawaii yet. And I have to assume that as more channel space opens up, more
networks with specific focus will be created to lure in some niche
audience, which the theoretical Hawaii Channel could be one.

Mel
http://www.lava.net/~macpro/HIRadioTVhomepage.html
Take the 3rd Annual Hawaii Radio & Television Guide Reader's Poll

push.tv

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98

Hello everyone

I wondered if anyone knew of any ancient sites located on the seaward
side of the wedding chapel area of the Turtle Bay, Kahuku. We stayed
there in November 1996 and picked up a very strange (negative/sad)
feeling from that area and the hotel rooms overlooking that area. We
thought perhaps there had been a religious site there. Any ideas?

Many thanks
Louise

Judy Barrett

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98

Louise,

The following are excerpts from "Sites of Oahu," by Sterling & Summers:

During World War II, the Army threw up an airfield at Kahuku, Oahu, and
built barracks.....

Boys recruited and drafted in Hawaii were placed in the barracks along
with Mainland soldiers. The Hawaii Nisei were soon dissatisfied and
asked their captain to be moved out of the main barracks into smaller
barracks off to one side. The captain asked why they were dissatisfied.
The boys said they were being disturbed in their sleep. Some said they
were choked in their sleep. Others said they had bad dreams. .....

The Hawaii soldiers persuaded a group of haoles who lived in a smaller
barracks to change places with them. The captain had no objection. Soon
the haole boys were complaining to the captain of being choked in their
sleep....

An old Hawaiian who had lived all his life in the community [explained]

It seems that the airfield runways had been constructed right over the
path Marchers in the Night took when going to the ruins of an old heiau
in the mountains. These marchers were dead chiefs and their retinues who
most often gathered on the nights of Ku, Akua, Lono and Kane for the
reunions in their old heiau.

To make matters worse, the door of the barracks was right on the path of
the marchers. The Hawaiian advised the captain to close that door and to
open another at the side of the building.

--------------

Site 260. Puuala Heiau, said to have been located on the ridge
overlooking Kahuku ranch. There is now no evidence of any type of a
structure on this bare hill.

Site 266. Kalaewila heiau, on a slight elevation at Kahuku Point.

A foundation of large coral rocks, 1 ft. to 1 ft. in size, can still be
traced, marking off a rectangle 42 ft. by 44 ft. A low line of coral
stones 20 ft. from the sea end endicates an interior division. From its
small size and location one would assume that it was a fishing shrine,
but Mrs. Kaleo emphatically states it to be a heiau, the drums of which
she has heard many times.

Carol Asher

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98

Forgive my ignorance but can you explain what a heiau is?

Has anyone taken photos of it?

Carol

Judy Barrett wrote:

--
Carol Asher
Collaboration Project Leader

Alkahuna

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98

> Forgive my ignorance but can you explain what a heiau is?

Ancient temple and worship site

> > > I wondered if anyone knew of any ancient sites located on the seaward
> > > side of the wedding chapel area of the Turtle Bay, Kahuku. We stayed
> > > there in November 1996 and picked up a very strange (negative/sad)
> > > feeling from that area and the hotel rooms overlooking that area. We
> > > thought perhaps there had been a religious site there. Any ideas?

I felt that too, when I was there visting friends...
Anytime a hotel is constructed on Hawaiian ground, (which to some minds,
is all sacred, no matter where you build), there may be some "negative
vibes". ..the Hawaii of old being destroyed is not something that feels
good to kama'aina or na kupuna...

--
#####################################
TikiTrader's Hawaii Shop

Judy Barrett

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98

Carol Asher wrote:

> Forgive my ignorance but can you explain what a heiau is?
>

> Has anyone taken photos of it?

It's a religious site, something like a temple. There are many, and many have
been photographed.

Judy

> Judy Barrett wrote:
>
> > > Hello everyone
> > >

> > > I wondered if anyone knew of any ancient sites located on the seaward
> > > side of the wedding chapel area of the Turtle Bay, Kahuku. We stayed
> > > there in November 1996 and picked up a very strange (negative/sad)
> > > feeling from that area and the hotel rooms overlooking that area. We
> > > thought perhaps there had been a religious site there. Any ideas?

dani...@unidirect.com

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98

Aloha!
I just returned from nine wonderful days on Maui...
I know what a heiau is, but I am curious how it is pronounced.
Can anyone sound it out for me?
Mahalo,
Danielle
PS: anyone in the islands right now: I am envious!!

> Carol Asher wrote:
>
> Forgive my ignorance but can you explain what a heiau is?
>
> Has anyone taken photos of it?
>

> Carol

Mr. William D. Gladden

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98

hayeeOW I think

Bill in Michigan 3:49 PM <--- subtract 5 hours for Hawaii time

Helen Rapozo

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98

On 30 Oct 1998, Mr. William D. Gladden wrote:

> Bill in Michigan 3:49 PM <--- subtract 5 hours for Hawaii time

Psst, Daylight savings time is over so it's now only 4 hours to
subtract for Hawaiian Standard Time.

I must be getting old, I can't remember any cute sayings from recent
movies or sci-fi TV shows to place here.

BAYCITVIDGRP

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98

I thought that TOURISTS
are the Sacred Sights on Oahu!

bill conduit
etc.

Helen Rapozo

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98

On 31 Oct 1998, Helen Rapozo wrote:

> On 30 Oct 1998, Mr. William D. Gladden wrote:
>
> > Bill in Michigan 3:49 PM <--- subtract 5 hours for Hawaii time
> >
> Psst, Daylight savings time is over so it's now only 4 hours to
> subtract for Hawaiian Standard Time.

My mistake, I had the impression that Michigan was in the Central
Time Zone it's actually in the Eastern Time Zone. Sorry about that.

Judy Barrett

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98

Helen Rapozo wrote:

> On 30 Oct 1998, Mr. William D. Gladden wrote:
>
> > Bill in Michigan 3:49 PM <--- subtract 5 hours for Hawaii time
> >
> Psst, Daylight savings time is over so it's now only 4 hours to
> subtract for Hawaiian Standard Time.

Nah, nah, nah....he's finally on time, Helen! Michigan voted to put
itself in the Eastern time zone instead of the Central, where anyone else
would think it belonged. When they go on daylight, it's like double
daylight. Around 4th of July, it's light so late they don't set off
fireworks until after 10 PM!

Judy

Judy Barrett

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98

Mr. William D. Gladden wrote:

> hayeeOW I think

> Bill in Michigan 3:49 PM <--- subtract 5 hours for Hawaii time

The general rule is that in words of fewer than four syllables, the
emphasis is on the next-to-last syllable. I think HEY-au is closer
to it, with the y sound gliding into the "ow." The "au" sounds a
lot like the way a midwesterner would say the "ow" in cow, same as
the "au" in Maui. The "a" is toward the a in "all", not the one in
"at."

Judy
getting picky max here!

Alkahuna

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98

In article <nortle-909...@news.lava.net>, my...@ix.netcom.com
(BAYCITVIDGRP) wrote:

No, brah: Tourons are the SCARED sights of Hawaii.

cwm...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98

In article <nortle-909...@news.lava.net>,

-- First of all, this is so great to be back into the flow, so to speak,
about local stuffs...I've been away from home such a long time. I really
enjoyed the Sacred Sites info. I've always held a respect for ancient
beliefs. I especially find myself fascinated by stories of Pele. Thanks for
helping me feel closer to home. 13th VA, Co A

Jon K. Yim

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98

As everyone has previously pointed out, many obstacles would face the
launch of "The Hawaii Channel." An ambitious project, to say the
least...

Having worked in & around the broadcast & cable industries for a number
years, I might be able to offer an insight:

- First there should be a defined NEED for this NICHE programming. Who
will it be aimed at??? Locals?? Tourists?? Ex-pats?? Audience
surveys will have to be conducted to determine WHO will be the primary
target of THC's programs.

- Who will be the major corporate advertisers?? Airlines, cruises,
resorts & hotels??? Sure...they have deep advertising pockets, but will
they stay with THC for the long haul?? Will THC deliver the Nielsen
numbers necessary for continued revenue??? Can THC sell the concept of
Hawaii along with Burger King, Pepcid AC, 1-800-COLLECT, Ford cars, Meow
Mix & Depends undergarments??

- For the tech-heads (like myself), is there transponder space available
on a telecom satellite?? It's gotta get carried somehow...and can that
space be purchased (full-time) at a reasonable rate??

- Where will the channel get its "marching orders" from?? Who will
determine programming?? Who will procure, develop & produce these
shows?? What will be the mix of programs??

Some points to ponder from an Ewa Beach boy in the TV biz working on the
Mainland.

Jon
San Diego

King Pineapple

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98

I thought it was "hay-ow". My favorite was Ulu Po in Kailua.

Mr. William D. Gladden <QFR...@prodigy.com> wrote in article
<nortle-909...@news.lava.net>...

Kalani Mondoy

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98

`Ae! Pololei `oe.

Judy Barrett wrote:

> Mr. William D. Gladden wrote:
>

> > hayeeOW I think
> >
> > Bill in Michigan 3:49 PM <--- subtract 5 hours for Hawaii time

Mel

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98

In article <nortle-909...@news.lava.net>, "Jon K. Yim"
<jy...@san.rr.com> wrote:

> As everyone has previously pointed out, many obstacles would face the
> launch of "The Hawaii Channel." An ambitious project, to say the
> least...

> Some points to ponder from an Ewa Beach boy in the TV biz working on the
> Mainland.

Very good and practical points brought out. I agree such a channel would
be very ambitious and all of the stuff you and others have mentioned would
be needed to be carried out in order for such a channel to even get
launched...

MEL
http://www.lava.net/~macpro

Geoffrey

Nov 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/2/98

I think the idea of a Hawaii Channel is a terrific one. Is it that
expensive? You need a studio and a place to generate the feed. Well,
there are plenty of those in Hawaii. You need uplink to the satelite
service... There are plenty of those in Hawaii, it's the comm hub for the
pacific basin.

That still leaves some expense to be sure. There is also promotion as well.

HOWEVER, there are plenty of big businesses hotels, airlines and so on who
would love a Hawaii channel once it was going.

The sell for the money people is that the more information information there
is = the more motivation people have to go and the more ways they can plan
to spend their money there.

Material? Again, if there is no limit on what is acceptable material,
everything from Hula Kahiko to some old Elvis movies are about Hawaii.

I think it is a really good idea.

Geoffrey

jy...@san.rr.com

Nov 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/2/98

This thread has really got my "production brain" going...

As I mentioned earlier, THC would go through a lot of "growing pains"
from inception to actual launch.

First, THC would have to have a strong "position statement"
(catchphrase or "tag line") that the audience will identify with when
they channel-surf by. Something along the lines of what the Discovery
Channel ("Explore your world") or The Learning Channel ("Adventures
for your mind").

Couple of ideas:

- "Here is paradise!"
- "A journey to paradise"
- "Islands for your eyes"
- "E komo mai...welcome!" (a little hesitant on this one...but it
makes great copy)

If I was in charge of development, I'd mix the programming to capture
"eyeballs & wallets" (exactly what any programmer would do). Promote
tourism, culture and history through independent productions. Develop
new shows that are Hawaii-themed (including movies-of-the-week and
series dramas).

Get national & international advertisers aboard (would also help to
have a multi-lingual sales staff to beat the street for clients).
Nothing helps sales more than hearing someone say, "I saw your ad for
________ on The Hawaii Channel..."

I'd ask for HVCB's help in the smallest sense...I want to promote the
state, but not have THC be a "free ride" for the organization.
They've got bills to pay, and so does "my" network.

Who will be the "faces" of this network?? Local personalities or
fresh faces??? Where will they host their shows?? I like the idea
that the original FX channel had: a fully-functioning NYC loft
apartment that doubled as segment set, morning show set and news room.
Maybe a nice beach house somewhere (it's almost too MTV-ish...but hey,
it worked for them!).

Will it include a (non-tourism) news department that will present
Hawaii's news stories to the world?? The Filipino Channel & The
International Channel airs ABS/CBN newscasts from Manila, showing the
good and bad of that nation. THC's news department should focus on
all issues that affect visitors and locals.

As to finding studio & master control space, that shouldn't be a
problem on Oahu or Maui. Uplinking via a Hawaii-based teleport
shouldn't be a problem, either. I'd also have a fiber-optic link to a
Mainland teleport (Denver), just in case something gets "cockaroached"
at home.

I'll stop here...I feel like getting on my cel phone & cutting deals
in LA now to roll a live truck...

Jon
San Diego

Geoffrey

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98

>First, THC would have to have a strong "position statement"
>(catchphrase or "tag line") that the audience will identify with when
>they channel-surf by. Something along the lines of what the Discovery
>Channel ("Explore your world") or The Learning Channel ("Adventures
>for your mind").
>
>Couple of ideas:
>
>- "Here is paradise!"
>- "A journey to paradise"
>- "Islands for your eyes"
>- "E komo mai...welcome!" (a little hesitant on this one...but it
>makes great copy)

One suggestion might be to broaden it a bit. I continue to be amazed how
people here in Haole Aina do not understand what the polynesian culture is
about. They do not understand the amazing facts such as the people of
Aotearoa speak a language much closer to Hawaiian than say German is to
French. In some ways, the division between Hawaii, Tahiti and Aotearoa
etc. is kind of artificial. Broaden the scope and you broaden the market,
with it the funding.

How about "Heart of the Pacific". It would still be about Hawaii, but
Hawaii as the centre of Pacific Island culture.

>Who will be the "faces" of this network?? Local personalities or
>fresh faces???

A few days ago we were wondering where we would get the material... Let's
get everyone involved then look at what's popular.

I think there is a certain "critical mass" of people being informed enough
to want more. Hula is not so exciting for someone fed incorrect
information and presented with a watered down hotel show. Give 'em a
little more info, a short lecture on Kaona and you will have a sell out
audience. That has been my experience anyway.

People like novelty. Thanks to three centuries of dis-information, the real
story is still fresh.

>Will it include a (non-tourism) news department that will present
>Hawaii's news stories to the world??

Yeah, Look at what is happening in this news group. Whatever your opinion
on the matter, Hawaii is setting the tone for North American culture
regarding Sex and Marriage. That's wonderful. Whatever the outcome, it is
wonderful, fitting and proper that Hawaiian debate is going to help the
entire country decide how it feels about love and family! That is just
amazing if you stop to think about it. Hawaiian news is and can be
national news. Environmental issues? Pacific Nuclear issues? People
from different cultures and races living together issues? Hawaii is the
leader on many of these kinds of discussion.

Awhile back, I set out to find out what Hawaii has to do with my own state,
Massachussets. You would not believe the list! Some of it approaches the
supernatural actually. Well ... my point is that Hawaii is about more than
Hawaii.

Geoffrey

Judy Barrett

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98

Kalani Mondoy wrote:

> `Ae! Pololei `oe.

(blush) Mahalo!
Judy

Mel

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98

In article <nortle-910...@news.lava.net>, "Geoffrey"
<ge...@NOT.FOR.SPAM.tiac.net> wrote:

>Broaden the scope and you broaden the market, with it the funding.

And lets hope that if such a channel were to occur, all funding for its
start-up and operations come from a private corporation that's in it to
make money and not from taxpayer subsidies.

> A few days ago we were wondering where we would get the material... Let's
> get everyone involved then look at what's popular.

Whatever is popular that can get decent ratings which in turn get
advertisers to stick it out in the long term.

> >Will it include a (non-tourism) news department that will present
> >Hawaii's news stories to the world??

A simpler solution would be to strike a deal with one of the local TV
stations and have them feed local news content to the Hawaii Channel.

MEL
http://www.lava.net/~macpro