Learning German

Michael D. Henderson

May 26, 2003, 9:04:49 AM5/26/03
Any ideas on the easiest way to learn German? I plan to take it next
term in University.

mdh

Scott Erb

May 26, 2003, 10:38:16 AM5/26/03

"Michael D. Henderson" <mhend...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> Any ideas on the easiest way to learn German? I plan to take it next
> term in University.
>
> mdh

Ultimately you have to go there. I minored in German in college (only took
it because my advisor told me I should have a foreign language and my
Grandfather was from Germany, then when I started studying it I really
enjoyed it), but it wasn't until I spent time there that I felt like I
really learned the language. If you get a chance while you're in school,
try to find a study abroad program, or even a summer immersion program. If
you can't, what I did was really focused on grammar and vocabulary when I
studied it at school. When I got to Germany the first time everyone spoke
too fast and I found my ability to formulate sentences slow...but I
impressed everyone with my grammar, and didn't end up doing like some
Americans do (slur articles to hide not knowing what gender or case
something is, etc.) and the grammar knowledge (though I still make a lot of
errors, especially when I'm away from the language awhile) helped with later
language study. So -- in the classroom, focus on grammar and vocabularly,
but the only way to really know how to understand and use it is to travel
there. And, at least, you can practice reading via on line resources --
that is something I didn't have.

Sigmund

May 26, 2003, 11:31:11 AM5/26/03

A German girlfriend. Of the strict sort :-)

Ingeborg Denner

May 26, 2003, 11:59:20 AM5/26/03

"Michael D. Henderson" wrote:

> Any ideas on the easiest way to learn German? I plan to take it next
> term in University.

See that you get to listen to German as much as possible. Find a radio
or TV-program in German and listen in. As soon as you can read it a
little, try reading easy stuff.

Prepare to learn a lot of grammar. BTW, German has no '-ing' form, save
in dialects. Some linguists will try to tell you that that's impossible.
It isn't.

I always found it extremely difficult to learn foreign languages. The
only reason I did half OK with English was Star Trek ;-) If you can find
anything in German to be a fan of, by all means, do so!

If you get to actually speaking German, it's far more important to get
the rhythm and melody of the language right than to remember a word's
grammatical gender, the correct time form of a verb, or how to form that
darned "ch". Statistically, you'll do best with regarding nouns as
grammatically female until proven otherwise (you'll sound foreign, but
you'll be understood), and consider the present and the present perfect
the only time forms worth bothering with (most Germans do so). While
long sentences are a German speciality, feel free to speak in short
ones. (Note: This info *won't* help you to pass tests! ;-)

inge

--
It is easier to stay out than get out.
- Mark Twain

Christian Roessler

May 26, 2003, 4:42:48 PM5/26/03
Vorher schrieb Ingeborg Denner:

> See that you get to listen to German as much as possible. Find a radio
> or TV-program in German and listen in. As soon as you can read it a
> little, try reading easy stuff.

And hear some german music, that helps, too.

Viele Grüße,
Christian

Scott Erb

May 26, 2003, 8:54:09 PM5/26/03

"Christian Roessler" <chr_...@web.de> wrote in message

Actually, I built my vocabulary by reading Asterix and Obelix comics (in
German), writing down each word I didn't understand, and looking it up,
forming a long list of words. Whatever works. Nowadays it's pretty easy to
get German music and films, even if you have to order from amazon.de (high
shipping costs). I liked music that was heavily into lyrics -- when I was
learning I found Udo Lindenberg, Georg Danzer, Konstantin Wecker, and later
erste allgemeine Verunsicherung really good. But that's all very out of
date now!

Michael D. Henderson

May 26, 2003, 8:58:15 PM5/26/03

I like the comic book idea. I think I will invest in some stuff.
Thanks for the amazon.de suggestion, that is a great place to start.
Michael D. Henderson
mhend...@verizon.net

Michael D. Henderson

May 26, 2003, 8:58:29 PM5/26/03

I will try that too.
Michael D. Henderson
mhend...@verizon.net

Michael D. Henderson

May 26, 2003, 8:59:31 PM5/26/03
On Mon, 26 May 2003 17:59:20 +0200, Ingeborg Denner <wild...@gmx.de>
wrote:

>"Michael D. Henderson" wrote:
>>
>> Any ideas on the easiest way to learn German? I plan to take it next
>> term in University.
>
>See that you get to listen to German as much as possible. Find a radio
>or TV-program in German and listen in. As soon as you can read it a
>little, try reading easy stuff.
>
>Prepare to learn a lot of grammar. BTW, German has no '-ing' form, save
>in dialects. Some linguists will try to tell you that that's impossible.
>It isn't.
>
>I always found it extremely difficult to learn foreign languages. The
>only reason I did half OK with English was Star Trek ;-) If you can find
>anything in German to be a fan of, by all means, do so!
>
>If you get to actually speaking German, it's far more important to get
>the rhythm and melody of the language right than to remember a word's
>grammatical gender, the correct time form of a verb, or how to form that
>darned "ch". Statistically, you'll do best with regarding nouns as
>grammatically female until proven otherwise (you'll sound foreign, but
>you'll be understood), and consider the present and the present perfect
>the only time forms worth bothering with (most Germans do so). While
>long sentences are a German speciality, feel free to speak in short
>ones. (Note: This info *won't* help you to pass tests! ;-)
>
>inge

I was recently turned onto Deutsche Welle Online, so I have tried
listening to radio and television news broadcast. One thing I see is
that native german speaker do talk rather quickly.
Michael D. Henderson
mhend...@verizon.net

Michael D. Henderson

May 26, 2003, 8:59:50 PM5/26/03

it'd be boyfriend in my case. :-p
Michael D. Henderson
mhend...@verizon.net

Michael D. Henderson

May 26, 2003, 9:00:36 PM5/26/03

I hope to do a summer immersion through DADD, since my university does
not offer a study abroad program in Germany or Europe for that matter.
Michael D. Henderson
mhend...@verizon.net

Sigmund

May 27, 2003, 4:10:56 AM5/27/03

As far as he is strict, that will do too :-)

Ingeborg Denner

May 27, 2003, 5:18:09 AM5/27/03

"Michael D. Henderson" wrote:

> On Mon, 26 May 2003 22:42:48 +0200, Christian Roessler
> <chr_...@web.de> wrote:
>

> >And hear some german music, that helps, too.
> >

> I will try that too.

If you tell us what kind of music you like, maybe we can compile a
recommendations list.

Michael D. Henderson

May 27, 2003, 6:23:50 AM5/27/03
On Tue, 27 May 2003 11:18:09 +0200, Ingeborg Denner <wild...@gmx.de>
wrote:

>"Michael D. Henderson" wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 26 May 2003 22:42:48 +0200, Christian Roessler
>> <chr_...@web.de> wrote:
>>

>> >And hear some german music, that helps, too.
>> >

>> I will try that too.
>
>If you tell us what kind of music you like, maybe we can compile a
>recommendations list.
>
>inge

I am young, so anything pop or top 40. I am also into classical music.

Michael D. Henderson
mhend...@verizon.net

Christian Roessler

May 27, 2003, 6:38:36 AM5/27/03
Vorher schrieb Michael D Henderson:

>>> I will try that too.
>>If you tell us what kind of music you like, maybe we can compile a
>>recommendations list.

> I am young, so anything pop or top 40. I am also into classical music.

Then try:
- In Extremo (medieval rock)
- Erste Allgemeine Verunsicherung (EAV)
- Udo Lindenberg (as said before)
- Marius Müller-Westernhagen (his early songs)
- Nina Hagen
- Rammstein perhaps, even if their lyrics are, say, not to deep...
- Die Ärzte
- Wolfgang Ambros
- Schwoissfuss (that's really their name)
- JBO

Maybe some comedians:
- Helge Schneider
- Hans Söllner
- Oliver Kalkofe
- Wiglaf Droste

And many, many more...

Viele Grüße,
Christian

Christian Roessler

May 27, 2003, 6:40:13 AM5/27/03
Vorher schrieb Michael D Henderson:

> I was recently turned onto Deutsche Welle Online, so I have tried

> listening to radio and television news broadcast. One thing I see is
> that native german speaker do talk rather quickly.

Well, that's an usual problem when learning a new language - I remember
well when I learned francais - you think they are talking in lightning
speed.

But that feeling will go away after dome time.

Viele Grüße,
Christian

Ingeborg Denner

May 27, 2003, 7:37:55 AM5/27/03

"Michael D. Henderson" wrote:

> On Tue, 27 May 2003 11:18:09 +0200, Ingeborg Denner <wild...@gmx.de>
> wrote:
>

> >"Michael D. Henderson" wrote:

> >> I will try that too.
> >
> >If you tell us what kind of music you like, maybe we can compile a
> >recommendations list.
> >
> >inge
> I am young, so anything pop or top 40. I am also into classical music.

Off the top of my head:

Top 40:

Xavier Nadoo
Nena
Herbert Groenemeyer
Wolfsheim: Kein Zurück (Most of their songs are English, this one
isn't)
Rosenstolz

Other current stars:

In Extremo (medievaloid)
Corvus Corax (also)
J.B.O. (Funpunk)

"Dauerbrenner" (Evergreens?)

Die Toten Hosen (Punk)
Die Ärzte (Funpunk)
Heinz Rudolf Kunze (Rock)
Rammstein (somewhat Techno)
E.A.V. (Comedypop)

Classics & Folk:

Udo Lindenberg (70s Rock)
Reinhard Mey (folky ballads)
Liederjan (Folk)
Ideal (80s Pop)

Special Pick:

Wiseguys (a capella)

Classical:

I guess most vocal classical music is available in German.
My personal favorites (with an eye on language, though):
Carl Maria von Weber: Der Freischuetz (Opera. Drama, Horror, Love!)
Mozart: Die Zauberfloete (Opera. Magic, Metaphor, and, of course,
Love!)
Bach: Just about everything. Biblical 'lyrics'.

Somewhat classical:

The songs by Bert Brecht and Kurt Weill.
The Comedian Harmonists.

Show of Horrors:

"Deutsche Schlagerparade". Trivial tunes, stupid lyrics, but if you
can stand soft pop it might be of use for learning the language.

Just to give you some starting points at amazon ;-)

Christian Roessler

May 27, 2003, 8:00:07 AM5/27/03
Vorher schrieb Ingeborg Denner:

> Xavier Nadoo

Hat der sich noch nicht totgefrömmelt?

SCNR: Christian

Ingeborg Denner

May 27, 2003, 9:33:18 AM5/27/03

Christian Roessler wrote:

> Vorher schrieb Ingeborg Denner:
>
> > Xavier Nadoo
>
> Hat der sich noch nicht totgefrömmelt?

Er zuckt noch. Hat mich auch ueberrascht.

Michael D. Henderson

May 27, 2003, 3:27:28 PM5/27/03
you all have been very kind and patient with me. thanks.

Michael D. Henderson
mhend...@verizon.net

Tim Vanhoof

May 27, 2003, 6:45:12 PM5/27/03

Read German newspapers, books, magazines and websites. Watch German TV.
Talk to German speakers. Visit Germany if you can. Isn't any other way,
really.

news.verizon.net

May 30, 2003, 8:45:38 PM5/30/03
I would suggest looking into the Goethe Institute. They have many resources
for those wishing to learn German. But, then, you need to immerse yourself
in the language as much as possible: film, books, and speaking.

"Tim Vanhoof" <timva...@gmx.net> wrote in message

Frank Feger

Jun 3, 2003, 7:29:48 AM6/3/03
Michael D. Henderson (mhend...@verizon.net) wrote:

: I am young, so anything pop or top 40.

German top 40 should contain German rap groups and artists, so you
should get much German language.

Regards,

F^2

Frank Feger

Jun 3, 2003, 7:32:31 AM6/3/03
Christian Roessler (chr_...@web.de) wrote:

: Then try:

: - In Extremo (medieval rock)

A few songs from Subway to Sally are in German, too.
Other groups with less mainstream oriented music in German would be
Goethes Erben, Das Ich and Lacrimosa.

Regards,

F^2

Frank Feger

Jun 3, 2003, 7:35:06 AM6/3/03
Ingeborg Denner (wild...@gmx.de) wrote:

: Xavier Nadoo

Then you should recommend Joy Denalane, too.

: Ideal (80s Pop)

... which reminds me about 2Raumwohnung and Paula.

Regards,

F^2

Frank Feger

Jun 3, 2003, 7:38:08 AM6/3/03
Scott Erb (scot...@worldnet.att.net) wrote:

: Actually, I built my vocabulary by reading Asterix and Obelix comics (in
: German)

Nowadays, the de.* newsgroups also supply German vocabulary, matching
your hobbies.

Regards,

F^2

Christian Roessler

Jun 3, 2003, 8:29:28 AM6/3/03
Vorher schrieb Frank Feger:

>: Then try:
>: - In Extremo (medieval rock)
^??? Ist das dein Zitatzeichen?

> A few songs from Subway to Sally are in German, too.
> Other groups with less mainstream oriented music in German would be
> Goethes Erben, Das Ich and Lacrimosa.

Ja, 'Subway' vergaß ich, obwohl die auch einige schöne Sachen gemacht
haben. 'Lacrimosa' kann ich nicht ausstehen, aber wenn man mich fragt,
warum nicht, kann ich keine Antwort geben. Ist wohl einfach 'ne
Antipathie.

Aber auf 'Erben' hab' ich gerade mal wieder richtig Lust bekommen.
Gleich mal auskramen:)...

Viele Grüße,
Christian

Christian Roessler

Jun 3, 2003, 8:34:12 AM6/3/03
Vorher schrieb Scott Erb:

> I liked music that was heavily into lyrics -- when I was
> learning I found Udo Lindenberg, Georg Danzer, Konstantin Wecker, and later
> erste allgemeine Verunsicherung really good. But that's all very out of
> date now!

Ach, was heißt schon 'nicht mehr aktuell'. Nicht alles, was alt ist, ist
schlecht; allerdings ist auch nicht alles neue gut. Und wenn ich mir
anschaue (oder besser ohrlich gefoltert werde), was mal wieder so alles
aus den Retorten kriecht... weia.

Aber EAV waren schon ganz gut. Zum Beispiel 'Es steht ein Haus in
Ostberlin' hör' ich immer wieder gern, obwohl's ein bißchen traurig ist,
und 'Fata Morgana' ist eigentlich schon bald ein Klassiker.

Die Idee mit den Comics ist gut. Ich hab' gerade einer
Griechischlernenden ein Micky Maus auf griechisch besorgt. Sorgt
gleichzeitig für Erheiterung.

Viele Grüße,
Christian

Frank Feger

Jun 6, 2003, 6:35:58 AM6/6/03
Christian Roessler (chr_...@web.de) wrote:

: 'Lacrimosa' kann ich nicht ausstehen, aber wenn man mich fragt,

: warum nicht, kann ich keine Antwort geben. Ist wohl einfach 'ne
: Antipathie.

Geht mir auch so, aber in diesem Kontext gehoerte sie einfach erwaehnt.

Gruesse,

F^2