What it means to be a true Filipino ( the Visayan anthropological model)

ExpatAuthority

Mar 25, 2006, 10:05:52 AM3/25/06
I am again seeing people agonizing on this ng as to what constitutes
being a Filipino. Most of these people are US-based so, maybe you will
agree with me that who and what is a Filipino is determined more by
Filipino people in the Philippines than by you.

They may call you a Filipino in the US and in the US ethnic identity is
of paramount importance. In the Philippines it is not so much, but
still they will tell you as to what they see as being a Filipino. I
have had many discussions on the matter and I will try and give you the
complete picture of what I have heard.

Thus, after more than a decade and a half of living on and off in the
Visayas, I have formed a pretty good idea of what the local people
there consider to be a Filipino.

They are not arguing over it and are not having any doubts on the
matter. They do in fact have a scale of Filipino-ness. And according to
them, being a 100 % Filipino would consist of the following elements:

1) A Filipino face and physical appearance- 30%. You have to be of a
predominantly Malay race, color and blood. In other words you should
look like this:

http://www.liddyshow.us/headnews/1_2_072004_filipino_hostage.jpg

http://www.maxboxing.com/media/Pacman_Marquez_Big.jpg

So when people look at you, they say: "Pinoy!"

2) You should have a Filipino name-20%. A combination of English,
Spanish and native Malay names. Could be something like Edwin Dubay,
Arvin Rodriguez, Nestor Ba-ar. If you have a Muslim name, then you are
called a Muslim Filipino, not a Filipino.

3) You should have Filipino citizenship either by birth of descent-
20%. It is not important that you are born in the country as long as
your ancestry is of the predominantly Malay Filipinos. You can be born
in Malaysia of Filipino parents, for one.

4) You should speak the local language -30%. They do not really see
people who cannot speak Visaya or Tagalog as "pure" Filipinos. How
can you be like me if you do not understand my language and, instead,
speak only English? You are a Mirkanong Hilaw.

Everybody else would not be a hundred % Filipino there. He would either
be a Tisoy, or Mestizo Kastila, Tsinoy, Fil-Am, etcetera. Still a
Filipino, but somehow not a true one.

While race does not matter much in mingling with other people the above
classification system is in place to make things easier.

In addition to knowing what a Filipino is, they also have a good grasp
on several other major races of mankind. Here they are:

Mirkano, Kano, Amerikano, Joe. Look at the picture and you will see
what they mean:

http://www.cgmill.com/olmirad/2003_022_american_man_v3.jpg

http://whitetrashwarehouse.com/All_American_White_Trash.jpg

http://www.lexingtonprosecutor.com/images/Texas6.jpg

Kachila, or Ispanis.

http://media.rivals.net/media/jpg/2004013100080880.jpg

http://handson.provocateuse.com/show/antonio_banderas

Intsek or Chai-nees

http://www.vmaher.freeserve.co.uk/public_html/old_man_HK.html
http://www.chrisound.de/bruce/bruce065.html

Boom-Bye or Turko

http://www.pilgrimage-india.com/gifs/sikh-khalsa.jpg

http://gabbyattic.com/truepix/sikh.jpg

Hapon or Japanees.

http://www.vernacularphotography.com/images/Oriental/Japanese%20Snaps/man.jpg

New categories added recently:

British

http://anthro.palomar.edu/change/images/Englishman.jpg

Koreano

http://www.youngmankang.com/images/youngmankang_seoul01.jpg

Iranian :

http://www.iranmehr.com/music/shopping/detail.asp?iPro=208&iType=54

These are all the races of people that they can distinguish now.
Everybody outside of these is at first put into the above categories,
and if he/she does not fit, people ask him/her "What is your
nationality?". If they do not ask, they simply refer to them as
"porinars" (foreigners).

The system is clean, effective and easy. It least, it is better than
the clumsy US system where so many people have several identities and
must ponder for the rest of their lives as to what they are.

Sylvia Knörr

Mar 25, 2006, 4:55:16 PM3/25/06

"ExpatAuthority" <expatriat...@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

How are black Africans classified, according to the Vizayan system?

Just Curious Piggy

borac...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2006, 5:14:29 PM3/25/06
ExpatAuthority said:
> ... who and what is a Filipino is determined more by
> Filipino people in the Philippines than by you. ...

What particular group or organization of Filipino people in the
Philippines is presuming to make this determination? On what authority?
Using what standards?

Just wondering.

when will they ever learn ?

Mar 26, 2006, 12:40:16 AM3/26/06
not anymore. with dual citizenship that is now moot

ExpatAuthority

Mar 26, 2006, 12:51:48 AM3/26/06

borac...@gmail.com wrote:
> ExpatAuthority said:
> > ... who and what is a Filipino is determined more by
> > Filipino people in the Philippines than by you. ...
>
> What particular group or organization of Filipino people in the
> Philippines is presuming to make this determination?

An average man on the street- I have met those in hundreds if not
thousands and I asked them the questions many times. Students, teachers
that I have interviewed, people in villages, basically, the common
masses of people seem to have the same answer over and over.

On what authority?

Do people need an authority to say that they borrowed money from a
Boom-Bye and that a Mircano just bought a pack of cigarettes? It is not
a matter of authority. On what authority do people call sky "blue'? It
is the most common opinion and a system that I have observed over and
over again.

When they see me walk with my Visayan girlfriend they immediately say "
Uy, Pinay uban ug Mirkano". End of the story. I can put on a barong or
precolumbian Visayan clothes and she can put on a cowboy hat and boots
but they will still look at our faces and say- Pinay/Kano.

And a person like these:

http://jamedina.bol.ucla.edu/pilipino_man_woman.jpg
http://www.mannyvalencia.com/gallery/9Aug03_pinoyidol/Pinoy-005.jpg

Is called "Pinoy"

And people like these

http://www.aegee.uni-karlsruhe.de/~recksiegel/IT_School/IT_School_Dancing_on_the_table.jpg

Are called Mirkano. By 99% people in the Visayas.

> Using what standards?

The common standards of their culture. This is folkloric rather than
official but it is what the common people there call various kinds of
humans. When I walk down the street I hear " Uy, Kano" and then when my
Indian friend walks there, several times a day he hears " Uy,
Boom-Bye". When I start speaking Visaya they still call me "Kano".

> Just wondering.

No problem. I would simply say that amongs tens of millions of common
people in the Visayas, that seems to be the accepted system of
classification of mankind as seen from their perspective. When a German
buys a house there people often say that a "Mirkano" bought a house,
and when they see a Pakistani, they call him a Boom-Bye or Turko still.

As far as Africans go, or any black people, they would call them
N-gROH. Stress on second syllable.

So, here we go again:

German Shepherd:

http://www.1stopfordogs.com/images/needs-moved/german-shepherd-picture1a.jpg

French Poodle:

http://www.refinnepoodles.com/monique.html

Kano ( an American):

http://www.buckskins.com/postcard.jpg

Pinoy- Filipino:

http://www.ccnews.org/index.php?mod=Story&action=show&id=1947&countryid=191&stateid=0

ExpatAuthority

Mar 26, 2006, 1:04:38 AM3/26/06
Is it really moot? How many those dual nationals will be there walking
down the street in the Philippines? And even if they do, people will
simply classify them by facial features and speech. Few people will ask
them about citizenship. It is only useful for official matters.

Does it matter what passport a person is holding? If they look like
that they are

http://www.melindaspenpals.com/images/24-filipino-05/glenda24_filipina.jpg

Pinays

And if they look like this:

http://images.creatas.com/common/detail/48/93/22899348.jpg

They are Americans.

See the difference?

SigeSigeSputnik

Mar 26, 2006, 5:13:41 AM3/26/06

Me too. But based on hijoe exfart's posting history, I would say it's
his, as usual.

ExpatAuthority

Mar 26, 2006, 5:56:44 AM3/26/06
It is what I have heard the Pinoys in Cebu explain to me many many
times.

borac...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2006, 6:58:06 AM3/26/06

when will they ever learn ? wrote:
> not anymore. with dual citizenship that is now moot

With this crowd, it neverwil be so.

My take on this article is from a "'f'n y'all dun luk lik us, y'all
AIN'T not lik us" sort of racist.

There are too damn many of those in the world, and certainly too many
in the RP.

ExpatAuthority

Mar 26, 2006, 7:56:23 AM3/26/06
Please try and explain to the people in the Visayas about racism. Or
what the word means. And their differentiations are not done maliciulsy
for the most part. They are simple classifications- just like
differentiating between an oak, a palm tree and a fern. Most do not
mean something is better , they simply put titles on the catrogories.
Again, Westerners have been seeing it as racism but not them.

mypuwit.com ?

Mar 26, 2006, 8:32:02 AM3/26/06
doesnt matter. narrow minded people will descriminate no matter where
they are, no matter the class status or whatever. you as a working,
tax paying person with a life and family dont let that matter since
the narrow minded fools are not living with you , is distincly
related or paying your bills. the bottom line is as a dual citizen
you have as much right as the other filipino.
the question " who is filipino" is now changing anyway whether some
like it or not since bad economic conditions is forcing millions of
flips to go abroad and paying for a lot of the local families bills
back home. does that make the ofw less filipino? unless they really
renounce their filipinoness and become like say an asian michael
jackson then they are still filipino

mypuwit.com ?

Mar 26, 2006, 8:36:08 AM3/26/06
more pinoys than some sugboanon from cebu .

born in mindanao owl

ExpatAuthority

Mar 27, 2006, 3:31:19 AM3/27/06
OFWs are Filipino, no doubt about that. They are simply 'working'
overseas. When they work in Saudi they do not as a rule become converts
to Islam ( unless they are Mislims to begin with) and do not renounce
Filipino citizenship, stop speaking Tagalog and start dressing as
Arabs. They do not become Filipino-Saudis. These are Filipinos just
like many Americans who also work in Saudi do not become
American-Saudis. And the after the contract is finished, they go back.

Now, when you have person whose parents went to the US and became
naturalized , who does not hold Filipino citizenship, cannot speak the
language and does not know much about the country, that person will not
be seen as a 100% Pinoy in the Visayan region.

Also, when one becomes a naturalized US citizen, one takes an oath or
renunciation- there is a sentence there that you wholly and completely
reject any foreign country and accept America. It is done with your
right hand raised and very solemnly. So that means you 'reject' the
Philippines and accept America as your new country. Pure and simple.

OFWs in Singapore and Saudi do not take such an oath.

Boy Abunda

Mar 27, 2006, 9:51:17 AM3/27/06
well they now have this dual cit thingie wherein american citizen
also become pinas cit like fishing between 2 rivers. i believe
the israelis have the same setup ditto certain european
countries. its very convenient when you want to vote and own more
property in the pinas

ExpatAuthority

Mar 29, 2006, 5:27:16 AM3/29/06

Yes I am aware of that but it is very recent and still, when you take
an oath of renunciation in teh USA, you are supposed to reject all
other countries- the oath is still there but it is a grey area and is
of the don't ask, don't tell variety.

As far as Israel goes, well, Israel allows dual citizenship, and some
European countries do, too. But not all.

Dapat kang maligo

Mar 29, 2006, 4:01:30 PM3/29/06
How did you come up with "racist" from that post?

<borac...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Sylvia Knörr

Mar 29, 2006, 6:29:50 PM3/29/06

"ExpatAuthority" <expatriat...@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

I like the Pinoy concept of race, because it's simple, honest and pragmatic.
No squirming around PC crap. :-)

Generating Categories Piggy

Peter Gamolo

Mar 29, 2006, 9:47:24 PM3/29/06
i heard of u s citizen people who while vacationing in the land where
they were born were shanghaid to the military. it happened in the
iraq u s war.

Sylvia Knörr

Mar 30, 2006, 4:38:02 PM3/30/06

> No problem. I would simply say that amongs tens of millions of common
> people in the Visayas, that seems to be the accepted system of
> classification of mankind as seen from their perspective. When a German
> buys a house there people often say that a "Mirkano" bought a house,
> and when they see a Pakistani, they call him a Boom-Bye or Turko still.

'Turko' is a label for Indians and Pakistanis? How puzzling!

Turkey Piggy

Peter Gamolo

Mar 30, 2006, 10:44:58 PM3/30/06
its bombay

ExpatAuthority

Mar 31, 2006, 11:13:40 AM3/31/06
I like the Pinoy concept of race, because it's simple, honest and
pragmatic.
No squirming around PC crap. :-)

It works in the Philippines at least. And it bestows US and Turkish
citizenship respectively upon 500,000 Europeans and 1,000,000,000
Indians and some 50,000,000 Pakistanis and 100,000,000 Bangladeshis.
and Tuket will soon be in teh EE hopefully. Now all we need is for the
people in the Visayas to convince the Turkish Parliament in Ankara that
they now have so many new citizens.

Bumbay and Turko are used interchangeably in Cebu.

borac...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2006, 7:03:45 AM4/2/06
>> ... who and what is a Filipino is determined more by
>> Filipino people in the Philippines than by you. ...
>
> not anymore. with dual citizenship that is now moot

Perhaps, perhaps not.

RA9225, the Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act of 2003 says,
in part:

---
Those intending to exercise their right of suffrage must meet the
requirements
under Section 1, Article V of the Constitution, Republic Act No. 9189,
otherwise
known as "The Overseas Absentee Voting Act of 2003" and other existing
laws;
---

Section 1, Article V of the current RP constitution says:

---
Suffrage may be exercised by all citizens of the Philippines, not
otherwise disqualified by law, who are at least eighteen years of age,
and who shall have resided in the Philippines for at least one year and
in the place wherein they propose to vote, for at least six months
immediately preceding the election. No literacy, property, or other
substantive requirement shall be imposed on the exercise of suffrage.
---

RA9189, The Overseas Absentee Voting Act of 2003 says, in part:
---
SEC. 11. Procedure for Application to Vote in Absentia. -

11.1. Every qualified citizen of the Philippines abroad whose
application for registration has been approved, including those
previously registered under Republic Act No. 8189, shall, in every
national election, file with the officer of the embassy, consulate or
other foreign service establishment authorized by the Commission, a
sworn written application to vote in a form prescribed by the
Commission. The authorized officer of such embassy, consulate or other
foreign service establishment shall transmit to the Commission the said
application to vote within five (5) days from receipt thereof. The
application form shall be accomplished in triplicate and submitted
together with the photocopy of his/her overseas absentee voter
certificate of registration.

11.2. Every application to vote in absentia may be done personally at,
or by mail to, the embassy, consulate or foreign service establishment,
which has jurisdiction over the country where he/she has indicated
his/her address for purposes of the elections.

11.3. Consular and diplomatic services rendered in connection with the
overseas absentee voting processes shall be made available at no cost
to the overseas absentee voter.

SEC. 12. Verification and Approval of Application to Vote. - All
applications shall be acted upon by the Commission upon receipt
thereof, but in no case later than one hundred fifty (150) days before
the day of elections. In the event of disapproval of the application,
the voter or his authorized representative may file a Motion for
Reconsideration with the Commission personally, or by registered mail,
within ten (10) days from receipt of the notice of disapproval. The
Commission shall act within five (5) days from receipt of such Motion
for Reconsideration and shall immediately notify the voter of its
decision. The decision of the Commission shall be final and executory.

The Commission shall issue an overseas absentee voter identification
card to those whose applications to vote have been approved.

SEC. 13. Preparation and Posting of Certified List of Overseas Absentee
Voters. - The Commission shall prepare the Certified List of Overseas
Absentee Voters within one hundred twenty (120) days before every
election, and furnish within the same period copies thereof to the
appropriate embassies, consulates and other foreign service
establishments, which shall post the same in their bulletin boards
within ten (10) days from receipt thereof.

Subject to reasonable regulation and the payment of fees in such
amounts as may be fixed by the Commission, the candidates, political
parties, accredited citizens' arms, interested persons and all
embassies, consulates and other foreign service establishments shall be
furnished copies thereof.
---

Also, a change to a parlimentary system might be expected to
disenfranchise overseas voters who would not be able to establish
residency in a legislative district so as to be able to vote for the
Member of Parliment who represents that legislative district.

see http://www.philippineconsulate.com.au/republicact.pdf
and http://www.lawphil.net/consti/cons1987.html
and
http://www.supremecourt.gov.ph/elibrary/html/ContentsLaws/Legislative%20Enactments/Republic%20Acts/12th_congress/ra9189.htm

Sylvia Knörr

Apr 2, 2006, 7:23:46 PM4/2/06

"ExpatAuthority" <expatriat...@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

I suppose this refers more to Turkmenistan than to Turkey.

Confused Labels Piggy

ExpatAuthority

Apr 3, 2006, 7:11:27 AM4/3/06
Now how many people such as trycicle drivers, street vendors, and just
common people will be reading this? Many people in the Visayas cannot
even read English. Sure there may be laws about this and that but in
daily social interactions it will be like this always:

Brown face, flat nose- Pinoy
White face, long nose- Mirkano
Brown face, long nose- Bumbay
Yellow face- corners of small eyes up- Insek
Yellow face- corners of eyes down- Hapon

When people see you walk through a village do they start asking you if
you are a dual national or quoting the Consitution? They will say:

Mirkano, uy!

ExpatAuthority

Apr 3, 2006, 7:12:38 AM4/3/06
Not many Turmenistanis doing 5-6 in Cebu and Bohol.

borac...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2006, 7:17:59 AM4/3/06
> Now how many people such as trycicle drivers, street vendors, and just
> common people will be reading this? Many people in the Visayas cannot
> even read English. [...]

I don't understand how this relates to the point to which I was
responding. That point was as follows:

ExpatAuthority

Apr 3, 2006, 7:24:38 AM4/3/06
When a dula national walks down the street in any town in the Visayas,
people will not be judging him by something that they cannot see- such
as his two passports. They will be classifyng him by his face, skin
color, etc.

borac...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2006, 7:28:23 AM4/3/06
So, granting that, how does "not anymore. with dual citizenship that
is now moot" enter into it?

ExpatAuthority

Apr 3, 2006, 7:37:39 AM4/3/06
Oh, I did not write that phrase.

Blumentritt

Apr 3, 2006, 8:40:27 AM4/3/06
in manila or some other main cities with high expat , half flip,
foreign presence, that question is not much a issue .specially now a
lot of flips marry others from other countries or haave a family
member working overseas they are more open minded .

ExpatAuthority

Apr 3, 2006, 9:38:46 AM4/3/06
They were always open minded, mind me. Few truly discriminate against a
poreigner. They are not like other Asians at all. I am talking about
how people are 'classified' by name in the Visayan region. Manila is
different. People asked me if I was a Filipino there. There, you can be
of any race and still be a Filipino- you may be a Tisoy or Americanong
Hilaw at least. The title of my thread was about the "Visayan"
anthropological model.

There, they immediately switch to English once they see you. You have
not even begun talking. But admittedly when I was in a taxi once and
speaking Visaya they asked me "Taga Bohol ka, dong? ' But again, I do
have black hair.

There is again, no question of open-mindedness. In the Visayan region
just about every extended family has a poreigner as a son in law. It is
about whom they consider to be a 100% Filipino for classification, not
preference.

Again,

White face, long nose walking down the street- Uy, Mirkano.
Brown face, long nose, Uy Bumbay
Brown face flat nose- Pinoy!
Somewhat brownish/ somewhat long nose, Uy, Tisoy.

But one thing I can guarantee though- no golden hair blond woman that
looks like Britney will be thought of as a Pinay in the Visayas.

My mother visited once and she has blond hair and vendors from miles
away would see her and run with their boxes to her- "Ma-am, buy this,
ma--m, buy that". So, yes, open minded, sure. But is she seen as a
"Pinay" by an average Juan De La Cuz in the Visayan region, nah!

Uy, Mirkana!

ExpatAuthority

Apr 3, 2006, 9:48:54 AM4/3/06

borac...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2006, 10:15:03 AM4/3/06
> Oh, I did not write that phrase.

Yes. "not anymore. with dual citizenship that is now moot" came from
someone styling himselv "when will they ever learn ?"

I responded to that, and you jumped in challenging my response. The
exchange between you and I proceeded from there.

ExpatAuthority

Apr 3, 2006, 10:20:54 AM4/3/06
O, I see. I must have understood this as: Because there are now dual
nationality laws, the Pinoy indentity is becoming somewhat blurred. So
my pont was- in the Visayas it is not blurred, at least not in daily
lives of the people.

tumbaga

Apr 3, 2006, 1:51:04 PM4/3/06
ExpatAuthority wrote:

Not true, Visayans rad and write english and much better than their Tagalog.

ExpatAuthority

Apr 4, 2006, 1:43:11 AM4/4/06
I stand corrected. I meant not many of the common would be able to read
and understand such 'legal' English or even know about the the dual
nationality laws.

tumbaga

Apr 4, 2006, 11:33:26 PM4/4/06
ExpatAuthority wrote:

Huh?
Legalise is unintelligible to everyone! Imagine if you have to
translate? Come on, I am sure Visayans would have the same trouble as
you would have!

Message has been deleted

Orin Orig

Apr 5, 2006, 2:33:57 PM4/5/06

<asu...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Im from visaya. some of the statement here are true. If we see any
> white, we classify them
>
> as Kano(Americano). I took my nephew 5 years old in the supermarket,
> and when he saw white foreigner, he just said , " O , kano !" . The
> white replied, " NO, German". I was laughing... Any white ethnicity in
> Visayan, we called their name "You want to play basketball Joe?".
>
> For Indian , we call them " Bombay" (it doesnt matter if they are from
> Bangladesh, Arab. Pakistanis) . They have facial similarities. . Many
> Visayan hates Bombay because they are dirty (mostly). Sometimes
> criminals will after them and they usually in danger situation there.
> In VIsayan, we call chinese " Instsik"....Intsik dominated most of the
> businesses because they work very hard. Hapon (Japanese) have been
> discriminated too because of their brutal history in PHils. Korean
> kept coming in PHils opening new businesses..
> It felt sad that franchising is spreading all over PHilis? what up with
> Starbucks. I hate starbucks.... I hate Mcdonald, Kentucky chicken, and
> so on?? what starbucks is spread all over visayan region now???
> huh.... whats up with that..

What if Starbucks spreads all over the Visayan region?

I do not know what will happen. But I believe you will get use of it and
find something else to hate.

I know it won't be the Muslims because . . . never mind.

Orinello

tumbaga

Apr 5, 2006, 10:15:30 PM4/5/06
asu...@gmail.com wrote:

> Im from visaya. some of the statement here are true. If we see any
> white, we classify them
>
> as Kano(Americano). I took my nephew 5 years old in the supermarket,
> and when he saw white foreigner, he just said , " O , kano !" . The
> white replied, " NO, German". I was laughing... Any white ethnicity in
> Visayan, we called their name "You want to play basketball Joe?".
>
> For Indian , we call them " Bombay" (it doesnt matter if they are from
> Bangladesh, Arab. Pakistanis) . They have facial similarities. . Many
> Visayan hates Bombay because they are dirty (mostly). Sometimes
> criminals will after them and they usually in danger situation there.
> In VIsayan, we call chinese " Instsik"....Intsik dominated most of the
> businesses because they work very hard. Hapon (Japanese) have been
> discriminated too because of their brutal history in PHils. Korean
> kept coming in PHils opening new businesses..
> It felt sad that franchising is spreading all over PHilis? what up with
> Starbucks. I hate starbucks.... I hate Mcdonald, Kentucky chicken, and
> so on?? what starbucks is spread all over visayan region now???
> huh.... whats up with that..

Sit in Starbux and don't move for a while, that'll teach them to open in
your neighborhood!!

This is how we destroy a business way back when in Manila, we sit and
don't buy, refusing to move. Quiet protest.

Sylvia Knörr

Apr 8, 2006, 6:05:48 PM4/8/06

"ExpatAuthority" <expatriat...@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Still I wonder: Could a person from Manila tell whether some other Filipino
is from Negros, Palawan, or Zamboanga, just by LOOKING at him/ her?

Detail Characteristics Piggy

borac...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2006, 7:08:04 PM4/8/06
How about these people? Are they Filipino by your standards of racial
profiling ?

They all pass the language and citizenship tests which you weight
respectively at 30% and 20%. Some of them pass the 20%-weighted name
test, so I guess the deciding factor for those who do not flunk the
name test would be the 30%-weighted appearance test.

http://img.timeinc.net/time/asia/covers/501040223/images/328_henry.jpg
http://www.philippinebusiness.com.ph/images/photos/e_zobel.gif
http://home.arcor.de/be/bethge/donjaimezobeldeayola.jpg
http://www.jeepneygang.com/graphics/EnriqueZobel.jpg
http://images.forbes.com/media/lists/10/2002/FQVX.jpg
http://images.forbes.com/media/lists/10/2006/8U2J.jpg

ExpatAuthority

Apr 9, 2006, 2:24:26 AM4/9/06
In the Visayan area these would be called Tisoy Kastila- Spanish
Mestizo. These would not be seen in the areas where I hang out- cheap
fishmarkets, small parks and street stalls selling hamburgers.

ExpatAuthority

Apr 9, 2006, 2:28:05 AM4/9/06
PS. BB,
You are applying the modern Western term of "racial profiling" to the
people who do not know what it means. They are just selling chicken on
the street and I come and they see me and say " Uy Mirkano". Is this as
sinister as racial profiling where people are pulled off airplanes and
frisked for no reason? I don't think so.

ExpatAuthority

Apr 9, 2006, 4:02:20 AM4/9/06
The system does not work as well when people watch TV, though. I have
watched it with my girlfriend and she identified a person like this as
a "Boom-bye":

http://www.israelimages.com/medium/14148.jpg

Here are some misidentifications that can take place while watching TV
with this model:

Mirkano:

http://www.icdsm.org/sloba1.jpg

BoomBye:

http://img.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/1979/1101790212_400.jpg

Insek

http://www.tvcultura.com.br/aloescola/historia/guerrafria/guerra8/imagens/foto0809.jpg

Sylvia Knörr

Apr 9, 2006, 9:24:33 PM4/9/06

"tumbaga" <ta...@hindiginto.ito> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> asu...@gmail.com wrote:

> > For Indian , we call them " Bombay" (it doesnt matter if they are from
> > Bangladesh, Arab. Pakistanis) . They have facial similarities. . Many
> > Visayan hates Bombay because they are dirty (mostly). Sometimes
> > criminals will after them and they usually in danger situation there.
> > In VIsayan, we call chinese " Instsik"....Intsik dominated most of the
> > businesses because they work very hard. Hapon (Japanese) have been
> > discriminated too because of their brutal history in PHils. Korean
> > kept coming in PHils opening new businesses..
> > It felt sad that franchising is spreading all over PHilis? what up with
> > Starbucks. I hate starbucks.... I hate Mcdonald, Kentucky chicken, and
> > so on?? what starbucks is spread all over visayan region now???
> > huh.... whats up with that..

> Sit in Starbux and don't move for a while, that'll teach them to open in
> your neighborhood!!
>
> This is how we destroy a business way back when in Manila, we sit and
> don't buy, refusing to move. Quiet protest.

You need a lot of people with lots of time to make it effective.

Busy Piggy

tumbaga

Apr 10, 2006, 12:04:59 AM4/10/06

When I was in high school, lunch time is the time we do it, the time
they are busiest. They also cannot throw us out, with all the people
going in, it won't look good.

Then I will pour soy sauce in the sugar bottle, soak the top of the salt
in patis.. whatever.

It worked.

Sylvia Knörr

Apr 15, 2006, 4:38:21 PM4/15/06

> Sylvia Knörr wrote:
> > "tumbaga" <ta...@hindiginto.ito> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> >>Sit in Starbux and don't move for a while, that'll teach them to open in
> >>your neighborhood!!
> >>
> >>This is how we destroy a business way back when in Manila, we sit and
> >>don't buy, refusing to move. Quiet protest.

> > You need a lot of people with lots of time to make it effective.

> When I was in high school, lunch time is the time we do it, the time

> they are busiest. They also cannot throw us out, with all the people
> going in, it won't look good.
>
> Then I will pour soy sauce in the sugar bottle, soak the top of the salt
> in patis.. whatever.
>
> It worked.

Hey, you are a saboteur! :-))

Damage Piggy

tumbaga

Apr 15, 2006, 5:25:35 PM4/15/06
Sylvia Knörr wrote:

I know how to hurt a business, always hit them in the pocket. I did own
my own business, now I relegate that to my wife. She owns the biz, I
just make sure she earns money.

Sylvia Knörr

Apr 19, 2006, 8:38:46 PM4/19/06

> I know how to hurt a business, always hit them in the pocket. I did own

> my own business, now I relegate that to my wife. She owns the biz, I
> just make sure she earns money.

Let's hope she won't get saboteur infested! :-)

Business Piggy

borac...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2006, 9:07:15 PM4/19/06

>>>Sit in Starbux and don't move for a while, that'll teach them to open in
>>>your neighborhood!!
>
>>>This is how we destroy a business way back when in Manila, we sit and
>>>don't buy, refusing to move. Quiet protest.
>
>When I was in high school, lunch time is the time we do it, the time
>they are busiest. They also cannot throw us out, with all the people
>going in, it won't look good.
>
>Then I will pour soy sauce in the sugar bottle, soak the top of the salt
>in patis.. whatever.

Yep. In the RP, that is called "People Power" -- A highly-motivated
minority bringing about change by pressure tactics, usually uncaringly
violating various laws in the process.

McD, KFC, Starbucks, etc. are not forcing themselves on the people,
they will abandon the marketplace if they do not find wide acceptance.
By such actions as described above, you are denying others who might or
might not welcome the businesses you target the opportunity to make
their own free choice about whether or not to patronize them

miming the slinky cat

Apr 19, 2006, 10:04:24 PM4/19/06
first people power was legit . most flips were tired of marcos
after 20 years of rule

Rose Melinis

Apr 19, 2006, 10:56:04 PM4/19/06
Isn't it neat the way people brag about the sabotage they wrought upon
others? It must be that horrible inferiority that drives them to try and rob
success from others. It is also wonderful to see that if one person "hates"
something, then everyone must hate it too.

<borac...@gmail.com> wrote in message

borac...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2006, 11:28:24 PM4/19/06
Define "legit".

Explain how you determined how "most flips" felt. Did you simply
presume that the majority view must have coincided with your own, or
did you use some more objective standard?.

I have observed over the years that in approximately 100% of cases
where someone says "most people think ...", it means "I think ...".

Not that legitimacy matters in a practical sense -- history is written
by the winners (credit to George Orwell for that observation).

tumbaga

Apr 24, 2006, 4:22:28 AM4/24/06
Rose Melinis wrote:

> Isn't it neat the way people brag about the sabotage they wrought upon
> others? It must be that horrible inferiority that drives them to try and rob
> success from others. It is also wonderful to see that if one person "hates"
> something, then everyone must hate it too.

And some people would just kill or suggest to kill those they don't
like, not a protest but an outright demand to kill, exactly what you had
suggested so many times.

So tell me, pocket book or life, which one gives a better response?

This is not a bragadoccio of hate but a form of protest, and mind you,
no one is suggesting killing the object of protest.

Something that you had done many times, I know you don't get to see my
messages but I don't give a crap, this is for everyone else to see.

To be one sided is really disadvantageous.

tumbaga

Apr 24, 2006, 4:27:51 AM4/24/06
borac...@gmail.com wrote:

>>When I was in high school, lunch time is the time we do it, the time
>>they are busiest. They also cannot throw us out, with all the people
>>going in, it won't look good.
>>
>>Then I will pour soy sauce in the sugar bottle, soak the top of the salt
>>in patis.. whatever.
>

> Yep. In the RP, that is called "People Power" -- A highly-motivated
> minority bringing about change by pressure tactics, usually uncaringly
> violating various laws in the process.

Can you tell me what law is being violated by such actions?

> McD, KFC, Starbucks, etc. are not forcing themselves on the people,
> they will abandon the marketplace if they do not find wide acceptance.
> By such actions as described above, you are denying others who might or
> might not welcome the businesses you target the opportunity to make
> their own free choice about whether or not to patronize them

KFC back in the sixties closed because they did not consider Filipino
tastes when they first opened, I can even tell you where it was.

McD was the same but now they are popular, why? I don't know.

Anyway, Starbucks is overpriced even in the US, so why should i bother?

Anyway, there are several protests against the present govt. using
Starbucks as venues with black shirts, etc.. I ask why starbux?

Don Corleone

Apr 24, 2006, 9:38:29 AM4/24/06
the first pp wa more widespread with pp going on in the provinces as
well. so that makes it legit .

Don Corleone

Apr 24, 2006, 9:39:33 AM4/24/06
i was still there when pp1 happened. eveni n my home town there
were demonstrations. i was even a participant

tumbaga

Apr 27, 2006, 1:59:52 AM4/27/06
Sylvia Knörr wrote:

>>I know how to hurt a business, always hit them in the pocket. I did own
>>my own business, now I relegate that to my wife. She owns the biz, I
>>just make sure she earns money.
>

> Let's hope she won't get saboteur infested! :-)
>
> Business Piggy

Can't happen, she only do accounting. One woman show.

borac...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2006, 8:27:16 AM4/30/06

Don Corleone wrote:
> the first pp wa more widespread with pp going on in the provinces as
> well. so that makes it legit .

I still haven't seen a definition of what the word 'legit' means when
used on your side of the discussion in this context. AFAICT, it means:
"I agreed with it and so did my friends, so that makes it legit".

I was working in Israel at that time, and was a very interested
viewer-from-afar. At the time (issues of legitimacy aside), I thought
that it was probably a good thing. Seeing how the RP has slid downhill
since that day, I'm not so sure today.

maude

Apr 30, 2006, 10:11:06 AM4/30/06
more provinces participated on it [ luzon, visayas and mindanao ]and
it was said that it was a revolt of the majority [ hard to quantify
since no one makes a survey during an actual revolt ]. but it was
enough mass protest to shut down the whole country. so that makes it
legit dont you think?

maude

Apr 30, 2006, 10:13:02 AM4/30/06
in addition it was cross section of philippine society participated
from the leftist , the military, the clergy, the students, the other
provinces, govt offices, business, rich and poor .