FW:ABFSU on trial of two students

mgmgthan

Oct 27, 2002, 1:45:30 AM10/27/02
All Burma Federatin Of Student Unions

(Foreign Affairs Committee)

Press Release

"The Trial of Thet Naung Soe and Khin Mg Win began"

It is not appropriate that imprisoning the people who express their

opinions by peaceful means

26th October 2002

The trial of Thet Naung Soe who made solo protest in front of Rangoon City

Hall on 18th August of this year, and his fellow Khin Mg Win began on 23rd

October. At that occurred time they were the students of Rangoon University

studying Law in their Final Year and Second Year respectively. The trial

began after more than two months from the date of their arrest.

The spokesperson of ABFSU (FAC), Min Naing said, "These students, Thet

Naung Soe and Khin Mg Win, did not do anything bad, and anything that can

destroy the country. They expressed their opinions by peaceful means

concerning today's crisis of Burma, which should be solved instantly. The

authority should not imprison anybody who describes his or her opinions by

peaceful means. This action contradicts the words expressed in the

statement released by SPDC on 6th of May this year. It said, "Turning of a

New Page; we shall recommit ourselves to allowing all of our citizens to

participate freely in the life of our political process ...". We, ABFSU

(FAC) totally denounce any action that tries to imprison Thet Naung Soe and

Khin Mg Win. Simultaneously, we condemn all concerning laws that are used

to oppress the people. Therefore, we strongly demand to SPDC to release

Thet Naung Soe and Khin Mg Win promptly and unconditionally, and to abolish

all concerning laws that are used to oppress the people."

The opposition groups and international community worry on the trail as the

military regime neglected the requests

The Burma military regime arranged the trail despite the requests of

international community to release Thet Naung Soe and Khin Mg Win. So, the

opposition groups and international community worry about the trial.

Foreign Affairs Committee

All Burma Federation Of Student Unions

Contact - Off: 66 53 872305

Zin Maung - 09 4332391