Stairway To Heaven

1 view

The Nit Nurse

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

In article <4moofq$q...@bcs3.bccom.com>, Carl Fiadino <fia...@bccom.com> wrote:

|> Giri Iyengar <funka...@e-mail.com> wrote:
|> >There's a guitar mag on the stands now with a transcription of
|> >"Stairway.."

So, is it the Rolf Harris version, complete with wobble-board?

--
d...@dcs.gla.ac.uk

Jim Maunder

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

The Nit Nurse wrote:

> In article <4mr11c$h...@tribune.usask.ca>, ad...@sfn.saskatoon.sk.ca (TIMOTHY GUEGUEN) wrote:
>
> |> Charlie Gibbs (Charli...@mindlink.bc.ca) wrote:
> |> : In article <318F53...@e-mail.com> funka...@e-mail.com
> |> : (Giri Iyengar) writes:
> |>
> |> : >There's a guitar mag on the stands now with a transcription of
> |> : >"Stairway.."
> |> : >Anyone else feel like barfing?
> |>
> |> : Well, the other day I heard a version by Rolf Harris.
> |> : Yeah, that's right, the Aussie with the wobble board
> |> : and the digeridoo (and he used both of them).
>
> |> And if I remember correctly, he had a big hit with it in Australia.
>
> Australia? It went to Number 1 in Britain!

I have a video that was produced and sold to the public by the Australian Broadcasting
Commission just called 'Stairways'. (there is a cassette and maybe a cd version as
well) It has 20 or so versions of STH (incl the definative Rolf Harris one) in any
number of styles, some by cover bands, some by jazz bands, an opera chorus, a Broadway
musical extravaganza, nightclub crooners, an Elvis impersonator, the lot! The cover
bands do it the style of the Beatles, Doors, others? It is a real hoot! ROTFLL!

I get the impression that they were done for a local (Oz) late night tv show, (Denton
did it but I cant remember the name of the show) and every show had a different band
doing STH. Its about 3 yrs old.

Rolf said that before doing STH, he had not heard the original (or any other version I
gather) and wanted to do it with being influenced by others.

Jim Maunder

David Howse

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

On Wed, 15 May 1996 14:01:09 +1100, Jim Maunder
<james....@adm.monash.edu.au> said:

>I have a video that was produced and sold to the public by the Australian Broadcasting
>Commission just called 'Stairways'.

>I get the impression that they were done for a local (Oz) late night tv show, (Denton
>did it but I cant remember the name of the show) and every show had a different band
>doing STH. Its about 3 yrs old.

"The money or the gun". Good show, great album.

David

Clive Newall

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

Denton. His ABC series of docos called "The Money or the Gun".
1992 and/or 1993 - He's been at 7 since then.
Every show had a musical interlude.
Every musical interlude was STH.

In article <319948...@adm.monash.edu.au> Jim Maunder <james....@adm.monash.edu.au> writes:

[...]

Clive Newall <c...@bby.com.au> / Burdett Buckeridge & Young Ltd Melb Australia

"I think Casper is the ghost of Richie Rich. I wonder how Richie died?"
"Perhaps he realized how hollow the pursuit of money is and took his own life"
--Bart and Lisa Simpson

jim cleary

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

David Howse wrote:

> On Wed, 15 May 1996 14:01:09 +1100, Jim Maunder
> <james....@adm.monash.edu.au> said:
>
> >I have a video that was produced and sold to the public by the Australian Broadcasting Commission just called 'Stairways'.

........stuff deleted.......

> "The money or the gun". Good show, great album.
>
> David

Interesting timing.
My wife just found the CD in a used CD shop here in Madison WI.
It is great listening
The locals cannot believe it when they hear it.
Rolf Harris takes the cake with his wobble board version.

christoph

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

Yeah, the show was called "Blah,Blah, Blah", with Andrew
Denton. Great show, and the highlight was john Paul Young
doing his version of stairway to "love is in the air"

Anyway, keep an eye out for Rolf's new song, a version of
Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody'

Peter Yard

May 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/17/96

In article <4nee6c$n...@news.unimelb.EDU.AU> christoph <t34...@kiwi.edfac.unimelb.edu.au> writes:
>From: christoph <t34...@kiwi.edfac.unimelb.edu.au>
>Subject: Re: Stairway To Heaven
>Date: 16 May 1996 05:24:28 GMT

>Yeah, the show was called "Blah,Blah, Blah", with Andrew
>Denton. Great show, and the highlight was john Paul Young
>doing his version of stairway to "love is in the air"

One night "Rage" played the entire video of 22 (?) versions of "Stairway"
from "Blah, Blah, Blah". What an experience! If you ever get the chance see
it, preferably all at once ..... feels like a religious experience <g>

One of Denton' s truly inspired ideas. BTW, I didn't think much of Rolf's
version.

Peter Yard

Matthew Jon Hall

May 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/17/96

Jim Maunder (james....@adm.monash.edu.au) wrote:
: Rolf said that before doing STH, he had not heard the original (or any other version I
: gather) and wanted to do it with being influenced by others.

Yeah right, and I've never heard anything by Michael Jackson. I
refuse to believe that there is anybody on this planet who hasn't
heard STH. If he never heard it before, how did he even think about
covering it?

Paul Jones

May 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/18/96

In article <pyard.78...@gil.com.au>, py...@gil.com.au (Peter Yard) wrote:

> In article <4nee6c$n...@news.unimelb.EDU.AU> christoph
<t34...@kiwi.edfac.unimelb.edu.au> writes:
> >From: christoph <t34...@kiwi.edfac.unimelb.edu.au>
> >Subject: Re: Stairway To Heaven
> >Date: 16 May 1996 05:24:28 GMT
>
> >Yeah, the show was called "Blah,Blah, Blah", with Andrew
> >Denton. Great show, and the highlight was john Paul Young
> >doing his version of stairway to "love is in the air"

Sorry to dissapoint you fellas,
but the Andrew Denton shows which featured a different version of
"Stairway to Heaven" each week were his "The Money or the Gun" series, NOT
his earlier series "Blah Blah Blah"

Paul Jones
pjo...@cygnus.uwa.edu.au

roj

May 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/19/96

Have you heard Dolly Pardon's cover of Stairway? It's outstanding!

Andrew Raphael

May 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/20/96

In article <4nin7a$1s...@msunews.cl.msu.edu>

hall...@cps.msu.edu (Matthew Jon Hall) writes:
>If he never heard it before, how did he even think about covering it?

Because he was told to. All the bands who appeared on "Money or the Gun"
had to play Stairway to Heaven in their own style. There's an entire
album of them. It's just that Rolf's version has achieved a life of
its own.
--
Andrew Raphael <rap...@research.canon.com.au>
"Oh! I see, it's your birthday. It's your big day, and I forgot."

Brian Sorrell

May 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/20/96

hall...@cps.msu.edu (Matthew Jon Hall) wrote:
>Jim Maunder (james....@adm.monash.edu.au) wrote:
>: Rolf said that before doing STH, he had not heard the original (or any other version I
>: gather) and wanted to do it with being influenced by others.
>
>Yeah right, and I've never heard anything by Michael Jackson. I
>refuse to believe that there is anybody on this planet who hasn't
>heard STH. If he never heard it before, how did he even think about
>covering it?

Maybe because Denton approached him first and asked him to do it? I can
easily believe that RH had never heard STH in his life before, if his
musical listening tastes coincide at all with the music he makes. As a
parallel, a couple of years ago I was in a car with my boss (in his late
50s, only ever listens to classical music), and they played Queen's
Bohemian Rhapsody on ABC-FM. He'd never heard it before (he didn't like
it either) - my initial reaction was like yours, how could anyone have
been alive during the last 20 yrs and not heard it? It made me realise
that there is indeed a group of people out there for whom the major
cultural form of the late 20th Century is a closed book:-)

But surely the best STH version was DAAS and Barry Crocker.
Brian Sorrell
Dept. Plant Ecology, Institute of Biological Sciences
University of Aarhus, Denmark.

"At rejse er at leve" - H.C. Andersen

Supercat

May 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/20/96

When it comes to town names, Burkina Faso (the capital of which is
Ouagadougou) and Australia top. I'm currently trying to make a list of
all those lovely town names in Australia, like

- Giligulgul
- Kybybolite
- Goondiwindi
- Manuwalkaninna
- Nunthurungie

I was inspired to do this by a commercial of an Australian
telecomunication company that won a lion at the Cannes film festival a
couple of years ago, just using the names of Australian towns.
If anyone out there could name me some more town names along these lines
I'd really appreciate it.

Dirk

Jim Maunder

May 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/21/96

Brian Sorrell wrote:

> hall...@cps.msu.edu (Matthew Jon Hall) wrote:
> >Jim Maunder (james....@adm.monash.edu.au) wrote:
> >: Rolf said that before doing STH, he had not heard the original (or any other version I
> >: gather) and wanted to do it with being influenced by others.
> >
> >Yeah right, and I've never heard anything by Michael Jackson. I
> >refuse to believe that there is anybody on this planet who hasn't
> >heard STH. If he never heard it before, how did he even think about
> >covering it?
> >
> Maybe because Denton approached him first and asked him to do it? .

[snippo]

> It made me realise
> that there is indeed a group of people out there for whom the major
> cultural form of the late 20th Century is a closed book:-)
>
> But surely the best STH version was DAAS and Barry Crocker.

Yes, it's pretty good. I liked Bob Down as well.

Funny you should mention 'not hearing <whatever> before', because until I got the video I
could not remember hearing STH myself. My daughter played me a tape, and it seemed to
ring a bell somewhere. I am just 52 and a half, and have a big gap in my knowledge of
popular culture between about 1975 and 1990. It has something to do with little kids, I
think. So I missed out on all that Skyhooks, Sherbet, INXS era. I'm ok on Billy Thorpe
and the Aztecs, Chain, Daddy Kool, Hendrix, Cream etc, and am only just catching up on
current stuff (although alot of it sounds the same, and is overproduced to buggery), and
I particularly like techno.

Another thing I noticed is that people more than just a couple of years older than me
seem to be of a completely different generation ... I was 12 when 'rock and roll'
started, and I think that if one was much older, they would be more atuned to the big
band/jazz/swing era, and never got to appreciate rock at all.

Just my 2 cents

Jim Maunder

zhang zhiyao

May 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/21/96

Supercat (zxm...@hp17.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de) [Mon, 20 May 1996 23:35:37 +0200] <soc.culture.australian>:
#When it comes to town names, Burkina Faso (the capital of which is
#Ouagadougou) and Australia top. I'm currently trying to make a list of
#all those lovely town names in Australia, like
#- Giligulgul
#- Kybybolite
#- Goondiwindi
#- Manuwalkaninna
#- Nunthurungie

But Dirk, I don't quite see why any of these names should sound any more
lovely or exotic than eg. Tübingen, Heidelberg, Kaiserslautern etc.

Stuart A. Bronstein

May 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/21/96

In article <4ns79s$n...@sat.ipp-garching.mpg.de>,

Austria, Austrailia - the names are so similar, how different could they be?

Stu

jason leong

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96
to zxm...@hp17.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de

i lived in brisbane for a year . there's a suburb just out of the city
with a major shopping complex that i used to hang out at .

it's called indooroopilly - meaning , 'place of the leeches' , i think .

have a good one .

jason .

Michael Jennings

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

Matthew Jon Hall <hall...@cps.msu.edu> wrote:
>Jim Maunder (james....@adm.monash.edu.au) wrote:
>: Rolf said that before doing STH, he had not heard the original (or any other version I
>: gather) and wanted to do it with being influenced by others.
>
>Yeah right, and I've never heard anything by Michael Jackson. I
>refuse to believe that there is anybody on this planet who hasn't
>heard STH. If he never heard it before, how did he even think about
>covering it?

There was a TV show in Australia called 'The Money or the Gun'.
Its host, Andrew Denton, decided that he would have a different musical
act on the show every week, who could play whatever they liked as long
as it was Stairway to Heaven. One of the people who was asked to perform
was Rolf Harris. Apparently he had never heard the song before, but he
did it anyway. (Some of the other interpretations of the song on this
program were truly inspired, too. I loved the Opera version).

Michael.

--
Michael Jennings
Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics

"Much of what passes for quality on British television is no
more than a reflection of the values of the narrow elite which
controls it and which has always thought that its tastes are
synonymous with quality" - Rupert Murdoch

Michael Jennings

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

In article <pyard.78...@gil.com.au>, Peter Yard <py...@gil.com.au> wrote:
>In article <4nee6c$n...@news.unimelb.EDU.AU> christoph <t34...@kiwi.edfac.unimelb.edu.au> writes:
>
>One night "Rage" played the entire video of 22 (?) versions of "Stairway"
>from "Blah, Blah, Blah". What an experience! If you ever get the chance see
>it, preferably all at once ..... feels like a religious experience <g>
>
>One of Denton' s truly inspired ideas. BTW, I didn't think much of Rolf's
>version.

Oh, I thought it was okay. 'Oooooooh, and it makes me wonder.
How does it make you blokes feel?'. Some of the others were better, though.

Thomas F Brown

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

In article <4np6rt$h...@gjallar.daimi.aau.dk> Brian Sorrell <bio...@aau.dk> writes:

>>I refuse to believe that there is anybody on this planet who hasn't
>>heard STH.

I had one once, but some ointment cleared it right up.

Amos Shapira

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

Supercat wrote:

> When it comes to town names, Burkina Faso (the capital of which is
> Ouagadougou) and Australia top. I'm currently trying to make a list of
> all those lovely town names in Australia, like
>
> - Giligulgul
> - Kybybolite
> - Goondiwindi
> - Manuwalkaninna
> - Nunthurungie
>
> I was inspired to do this by a commercial of an Australian
> telecomunication company that won a lion at the Cannes film festival a
> couple of years ago, just using the names of Australian towns.
> If anyone out there could name me some more town names along these lines
> I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Dirk

How about Coonabarabran? I like the way it roles in the mouth.

(that town apeared to be so tiny that it has more letters in its name than
houses :)

Cheers,

--Amos

--
--Amos Shapira (Jumper Extraordinaire) | "Of course Australia was marked for
am...@cs.huji.ac.il | by the finest judges in England."
| -- Anonymous

heidi

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

How about:

Minamurra, Gerringong, Bundanoon, Nar-Nar-Goon, Koo-Wee-Rup, Ooratippra,
Lajamanu, Iwutapaka, Koolpinyah, Milingimbi, Galiwinku, Peppimenarti,
Milikapiti, Angurugu, Manjimup, Gnowangerup, Widgiemooltha,
Kaltukatjara, Oombulgurri, Jiggalong, Meekatharra, Coordewandy,
Koolyanobbing, Moolawatana, Buckleboo, Kalangadoo, Iwupataka,
Thargomindah, Mundubbera, Koombooloomba, Patchewollock, Quambatook,
Wangaratta, Wallerawang, Neckarboo.....cheers, Rafiki

MaestroDJS

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

Subject: Australian town names
In his book Following the Equator, Mark Twain wrote about his visit to
southeast Australia and New Zealand in 1896: "Australian history is
almost always picturesque; indeed, it is so curious and strange, that it
is itself the chiefest novelty the country has to offer, and so it pushes
the other novelties into second and third place. It does not read like
history, but like the most beautiful lies. And all of a fresh sort, no
mouldy old stale ones. It is full of surprises, and adventures, and
incongruities, and contradictions, and incredibilities; but they are all
true, they all happened."

David Stybr, Plainfield, Illinois, USA - Maest...@aol.com

=====

In his diary for 20 December 1896, Mark Twain wrote:

Back to Sydney. Blazing hot again. From the newspaper, and from the map,
I have made a collection of the curious names of Australasian towns, with
the idea of making a poem out of them:

Tumut
Takee
Murriwillumba
Bowral
Ballarat
Mullengudgery
Murrurundi
Wagga Wagga
Wyalong
Murrumbidgee
Goomeroo
Wolloway
Wangary
Wanilla
Worrow
Koppio
Yankalilla
Yaranyacka
Yackamoorundie
Kaiwaka
Coomooroo
Tauranga
Geelong
Tongariro
Kaikoura
Wakatipu
Oohipara
Waitpinga
Goelwa
Munno Para
Nagkita
Myponga
Kapunda
Kooringa
Penola
Nangwarry
Kongorong
Comaum
Koolywurtie
Killanoola
Naracoorte
Muloowurtie
Binnum
Wallaroo
Wirrega
Mundoora
Hauraki
Rangiriri
Teawamute
Taranaki
Toowoomba
Goondiwindi
Jerrilderie
Whangaroa
Wollongong
Woolloomooloo
Bombola
Coolgardie
Bendigo
Coonamble
Cootamundra
Woolgoolga
Mittagong
Jamberoo
Kondoparinga
Kuitpo
Tungkillo
Oukaparinga
Talunga
Yatala
Parawirra
Moorooroo
Whangarei
Woolundunga
Booleroo
Pernatty
Parramatta
Taroom
Narrandera
Deniliquin
Kawakawa

It may be best to build the poem now, and make the weather help:

A SWELTERING DAY IN AUSTRALIA

(To be read soft and low, with the lights turned down.)

The Bombola faints in the hot Bowral tree,
Where firce Mullengudgery's smothering fires
Far from the breezes of Coolgardie
Burn ghastly and blue as the day expires;

And Murriwillumba complaineth in song
For the garlanded bowers of Woolloomooloo,
And the Ballarat Fly and the lone Woolongong
They dream of the garden of Jamberoo;

The wallabi sighs for the Murrumbigee,
For the velvety sod of the Munno Para,
Where the waters of healing from Muloowurtie
Flow dim in the gloaming by Yaranyackah;

The Koppio sorrows for lost Wolloway,
And sigheth in secret for Murrurundi,
The Whangeroo wombat lamenteth the day
The made him exile from Jerrilderie;

The Teawamute Tumut from Wirrega's glade,
The Nangkita swallow, the Wallaroo swan,
They long for the peace of the Timaru shade
And thy balmy soft airs, O sweet Mittagong!

The Kooringa buffalo pants in the sun,
The Kondoparinga lies gaping for breath,
The Kongorong Camaum to the shadow has won,
But the Goomeroo sinks in the slumber of death.

In the weltering hell of the Moorooroo plain
The Yatala Wangary withers and dies,
And the Worrow Wanilla, demented with pain,
To the Woolgoolga woodlands despairingly flies;

Sweet Nangwarry's desolate, Coonamble wails,
And Tungkillo Kuito in sables is drest,
For the Whangerei winds fall asleep in the sails
And the Booleroo life-breeze is dead in the west.

Mypongo, Kapunda, O slumber no more!
Yankalilla, Parawirra, be warned!
There's death in the air! Killanoola, wherefore
Shall the prayer of Penola be scorned?

Cootamundra, and Takee, and Wakatipu,
Toowoomba, Kaikoura are lost!
From Onkaparinga to far Oamaru
All burn in this hell's holocaust!

Parramatta and Binnum are gone to their rest
In the vale of Tapanni Taroom,
Kawakawa, Deniliquin - all that was best
In the earth are but graves and a tomb!

Narrandera mourns, Cameroo answers not
When the roll of the scathless we cry:
Tongariro, Goondiwindi, Woolundunga, the spot
Is mute and forlorn where ye lie.

Those are good words for poetry. Among the best I have ever seen. There
are 81 in the list. I did not need them all, but I have knocked down 66
of them; which is a good bag, it seems to me, for a person not in the
business. Perhaps a poet laureate could do better, but a poet laureate
gets wages, and that is different. When I write poetry I do not get any
wages; often I lose money by it. The best word in the list, and the most
musical and gurgly, is Woolloomooloo. In is a place near Sydney, and is a
favorite pleasure-resort. It has eight O's in it.

William J. Evans

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

ad...@crl.com (Stuart A. Bronstein) wrote:
:Austria, Austrailia - the names are so similar, how different could they be?
Well now, Australia, on the other hand, is completely different.

-- Captain Nitpick
Bill Evans P.O. Box 4829 Irvine, CA 92716 (714)551-2766 _ /| ACK!
Email-To: w...@acm.org -- PGP encrypted mail preferred. -- \`o_O' /
Finger w...@netcom.com for public key. Key #: 441AFEA5 =( )=
PGPprint: FB D0 1C 1D EF DC 26 BA B3 9E 84 0B 40 D6 59 9C U

Lee McDonald

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

Supercat wrote:

> When it comes to town names, Burkina Faso (the capital of which is
> Ouagadougou) and Australia top. I'm currently trying to make a list of
> all those lovely town names in Australia, like
> - Giligulgul
> - Kybybolite
> - Goondiwindi
> - Manuwalkaninna
> - Nunthurungie<Snip>
>
> Dirk

There are many around Central and Nortern Australia

One here is Ampalatwatja

Also Yuendumu, Amoonguna

There are many others around Australia.

for may more please refer to a map of the NT, but one that shows the aboriginal communities and small centres.
--
Lee McDonald
Electrical Engineer, Power And Water Authority

Andrew Raphael

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

In article <4o0mae$1...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>

maest...@aol.com (MaestroDJS) writes:
>In his diary for 20 December 1896, Mark Twain wrote:

>The best word in the list, and the most musical and gurgly, is
>Woolloomooloo. In is a place near Sydney, and is a favorite
>pleasure-resort. It has eight O's in it.

... and a University with a world-famous Philosophy Department.

The Traveller

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

heidi wrote:

> How about:
>
> Minamurra, Gerringong, Bundanoon, Nar-Nar-Goon, Koo-Wee-Rup, Ooratippra,
> Lajamanu, Iwutapaka, Koolpinyah, Milingimbi, Galiwinku, Peppimenarti,
> Milikapiti, Angurugu, Manjimup, Gnowangerup, Widgiemooltha,
> Kaltukatjara, Oombulgurri, Jiggalong, Meekatharra, Coordewandy,
> Koolyanobbing, Moolawatana, Buckleboo, Kalangadoo, Iwupataka,
> Thargomindah, Mundubbera, Koombooloomba, Patchewollock, Quambatook,
> Wangaratta, Wallerawang, Neckarboo.....cheers, Rafiki

And they all mean 'place by water' in the local Aboriginal dialect

___________________
| |
| Danger Thin Ice |
| |
|___________________|
++
__________________________________||_____________________________________________

Raymot

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

In article <4ns79s$n...@sat.ipp-garching.mpg.de>,
alex...@ipp-garching.mpg.de says...

>Supercat (zxm...@hp17.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de) [Mon, 20 May 1996 23:35:37
+0200] <soc.culture.australian>:
>#When it comes to town names, Burkina Faso (the capital of which is
>#Ouagadougou) and Australia top. I'm currently trying to make a list of
>#all those lovely town names in Australia, like
>#- Giligulgul
>#- Kybybolite
>#- Goondiwindi
>#- Manuwalkaninna
>#- Nunthurungie
>

>But Dirk, I don't quite see why any of these names should sound any more
>lovely or exotic than eg. Tübingen, Heidelberg, Kaiserslautern etc.

I agree. My favourite is Garmisch-Partenkirchen, expecially when
spoken by a buxom young goat-girl in braided hair and dirndl.
I've lived in Dirranbandi, Toowoomba, Gympie and Toowong,and
Indooroopilly (the latter two suburbs of Brisbane) but I'd love to
spend more time ueber in Oberammergau.

Tchuess
Raymot
[[[[[[[[[[[[

Stuart A. Bronstein

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

In article <wjeDrs...@netcom.com>, William J. Evans <w...@acm.org> wrote:
>ad...@crl.com (Stuart A. Bronstein) wrote:
>:Austria, Austrailia - the names are so similar, how different could they be?
>Well now, Australia, on the other hand, is completely different.

Thanks for straightening that out for me, Bill. I never would have
understood it otherwise.

OBJ: Gorgeous women don't bother me. I wish they would.

Stu

Andrew Rogers

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

In article <31A564...@cowan.edu.au> yam tan <y....@cowan.edu.au> writes:
>I think I am not a HUMAN because I haven't heard about this STH. If you
>think you are a Human Please explain what the STH is.!!!!!!!!

It's a rock 'n' roll song recorded by a British hard-rock band, "Led
Zeppelin", in 1971. In case you've never heard it, it goes like this:

"Stairway To Heaven"
(Jimmy Page - Robert Plant)

intro:

[N.C]
A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird

verse 1:

E7
B-b-b-bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, the bird is the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, well the bird is the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, well the bird is the word
A-well-a bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, well the bird is the word
A-well-a bird, bird, b-bird's the word
B7
A-well-a don't you know about the bird?
A7
Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word!
E7
A-well-a bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a... [N.C.]

[drum break]

verse 2:

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird
Bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a don't you know about the bird?
Well, everybody's talking about the bird!
A-well-a bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a bird...

break:

[N.C.]
Surfin' bird
Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb... [retching noises]... aaah!

Pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-
Pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-ooma-mow-mow
Papa-ooma-mow-mow

verse 3:

Papa-ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
Papa-ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
Ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
Papa-ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
Papa-ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
Oom-oom-oom-oom-ooma-mow-mow
Papa-ooma-mow-mow, papa-oom-oom-oom
Oom-ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
Ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
Papa-a-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
Papa-ooma-mow-mow, ooma-mow-mow
Papa-ooma-mow-mow, ooma-mow-mow
Papa-oom-oom-oom-oom-ooma-mow-mow
Oom-oom-oom-oom-ooma-mow-mow
Ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
Papa-ooma-mow-mow, ooma-mow-mow
Well don't you know about the bird?
Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word!
A-well-a bird, bird, b-bird's the word

coda:

Papa-ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow [repeat to fade]

Andrew

yam tan

May 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/24/96
to Thomas F Brown

Thomas A Lawson

May 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/24/96

Raymot wrote:

> I agree. My favourite is Garmisch-Partenkirchen, expecially when
> spoken by a buxom young goat-girl in braided hair and dirndl.<

My Australian favourite is Gunu-Gunu.

This is pronounce GUNUH-GUNOO. Any foreigner pronouncing it
GOONOO-GOONOO is subject to immediate deportation.
Tom

de...@topaz.cqu.edu.au

May 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/24/96

In article <Pine.HPP.3.91.96052...@hp17.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de>, Supercat <zxm...@hp17.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> When it comes to town names, Burkina Faso (the capital of which is
> Ouagadougou) and Australia top. I'm currently trying to make a list of
> all those lovely town names in Australia, like
>
> - Giligulgul
> - Kybybolite
> - Goondiwindi
> - Manuwalkaninna
> - Nunthurungie

Murwillimbah
Pormpurwaaw
Wangaratta
Quaama

Numerous other names are avaliable from the postcodes book from
Australia post.

Ian

Dr Sam Mallinson

May 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/24/96

> One night "Rage" played the entire video of 22 (?) versions of "Stairway"
> from "Blah, Blah, Blah". What an experience! If you ever get the chance see
> it, preferably all at once ..... feels like a religious experience <g>

Actually, you can get the video of all 22 versions (and the CD) from
any ABC shop.

Sam Mallinson

Robert P Savage

May 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/24/96

There are some whoppers in W.A.( spelling ?)

e.g. Wyallkatchem, Wudgiemooltha, Muckinbudin, Kellerberrin,

There was a beautiful sign just after you left as place near Harvey which read;
"WHERE IS WOKALUP ? " Pure dinkum aussie wit.
Gud daay.
Roy.

John Sullivan

May 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/24/96

In article <31A564...@cowan.edu.au> yam tan <y....@cowan.edu.au> writes:

Hmmm. Let me think..... Well, the subject line is no help at all. Let's
see....

Nope. Can't figure it out either.

John Sullivan
jsul...@fhcrc.org

Scot

May 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/25/96

Twain, via maest...@aol.com (MaestroDJS) writes:

>wages; often I lose money by it. The best word in the list, and the most
>musical and gurgly, is Woolloomooloo. In is a place near Sydney, and is a
>favorite pleasure-resort. It has eight O's in it.

methinks he confuses Wollongong with Woolloomooloo;

The 'loo isn't -near- Sydney, it's -in- Sydney, it's the second oldest
'suburb' of the town. In the 1890's, it was a working-class docks district
infamously 'rough' and later the site for notorious organised gang
activity (over gambling houses, sly grog, etc). In the 1970s it had to be
saved from skyscraper development by the 'Green Bans' of Jack Mundey's
Builder's Labourers Federation and by the people of the community RAGs
(Resident Action Group) like Juanita Neilsen (whose body has never been
found and is presumed buried under one of the few high-rises that did get
built on the suburb's surrounds). North Sydney copped it instead.

In one section it remains a housing commission site. The wharves are no
longer functional, except for the RAN base on the 'island' (IMHO it should
retain this function nevermind what the yuppies think), and the Finger
Wharf still awaits development (demolition by neglect, i think it's
called).

scot
ex-resident
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\ System-X Communications - http://sysx.apana.org.au/ /

Scot

May 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/25/96

rap...@research.canon.com.au (Andrew Raphael) writes:

>>The best word in the list, and the most musical and gurgly, is
>>Woolloomooloo. In is a place near Sydney, and is a favorite
>>pleasure-resort. It has eight O's in it.

>... and a University with a world-famous Philosophy Department.

mind if we call you Bruce just to avoid confusion?

Comp...@jk-o.demon.co.uk

May 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/25/96

In article <4o0mae$1...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>
maest...@aol.com "MaestroDJS" writes:

> Subject: Australian town names

> The best word in the list, and the most musical and gurgly, is
> Woolloomooloo. In is a place near Sydney, and is a favorite
> pleasure-resort. It has eight O's in it.

My favourite is Orroroo ( and what a lovely place it is! ).

Mind you, Orroroo beats Wooloomooloo by a length, when it
comes to calculate the average number of times the letters
used are being repeated.

Wooloomooloo: ( 1 + 8 + 2 + 1 ) / 4 = 3.0

Orroroo: ( 4 + 3 ) / 2 = 3.5

Does Orroroo hold the Australian record with its index of 3.5?

--
Jens Kieffer-Olsen
Farnham, Surrey, UK

Theresa & Alex Stephenson

May 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/25/96

heidi wrote:

> How about:
>
> Minamurra, Gerringong, Bundanoon, Nar-Nar-Goon, Koo-Wee-Rup, Ooratippra,
> Lajamanu, Iwutapaka, Koolpinyah, Milingimbi, Galiwinku, Peppimenarti,
> Milikapiti, Angurugu, Manjimup, Gnowangerup, Widgiemooltha,
> Kaltukatjara, Oombulgurri, Jiggalong, Meekatharra, Coordewandy,
> Koolyanobbing, Moolawatana, Buckleboo, Kalangadoo, Iwupataka,
> Thargomindah, Mundubbera, Koombooloomba, Patchewollock, Quambatook,
> Wangaratta, Wallerawang, Neckarboo.....cheers, Rafiki
>
> Supercat wrote:
> >
> > When it comes to town names, Burkina Faso (the capital of which is
> > Ouagadougou) and Australia top. I'm currently trying to make a list of
> > all those lovely town names in Australia, like
> >
> > - Giligulgul
> > - Kybybolite
> > - Goondiwindi
> > - Manuwalkaninna
> > - Nunthurungie
> >
> > I was inspired to do this by a commercial of an Australian
> > telecomunication company that won a lion at the Cannes film festival a
> > couple of years ago, just using the names of Australian towns.
> > If anyone out there could name me some more town names along these lines
> > I'd really appreciate it.
> >
> > Dirk

As it so happens Australians are great ones for contracting place names
and possibly adding -ie on the end so Quambatook becomes quambie;
Manangatang - manang; Wangaratta- wang.

Any interesting contractions of our towns?

Chuck Stoup

May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96

Theresa & Alex Stephenson wrote:

> heidi wrote:
> >
> > How about:
> >
> > Minamurra, Gerringong, Bundanoon, Nar-Nar-Goon, Koo-Wee-Rup, Ooratippra,
> > Lajamanu, Iwutapaka, Koolpinyah, Milingimbi, Galiwinku, Peppimenarti,
> > Milikapiti, Angurugu, Manjimup, Gnowangerup, Widgiemooltha,
> > Kaltukatjara, Oombulgurri, Jiggalong, Meekatharra, Coordewandy,
> > Koolyanobbing, Moolawatana, Buckleboo, Kalangadoo, Iwupataka,
> > Thargomindah, Mundubbera, Koombooloomba, Patchewollock, Quambatook,
> > Wangaratta, Wallerawang, Neckarboo.....cheers, Rafiki

I don't know what any of that means,
but I do know what the names of these
towns in Pennsylvania mean.

Intercourse does not lie near Blue Ball
and Jersey Shore is completely land
locked.

Chuck

Marko Zagar

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

Of course you can't go past:

Come by chance (this is the name of the town)
Gulargambone (a Gulah is a parrot and slang for stupid)
Wee Jasper
Coonamble
Bogabri
Gundaroo

and probably a whole bucket load of others

Rob Meredith

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

The gallah (not gular) is a cockatoo, and has nothing to do with
Gulargambone.

That's the government for you! Sheesh!
--
| _/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ | Rob Meredith |"Personally,
|
| _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ | Info Sys. Honours Student | I believe
that|
| _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ | Monash University Australia | all Scottish
|
| _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ | rmer...@ponderosa.is. | food is a

|_/ _/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ | monash.edu.au | dare."

Rob Meredith

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96