Outlook

Tlhan Ghun (Sven Walther)

Sep 7, 2010, 8:31:08 AM9/7/10
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Last week my company started the switch from Lotus Notes to
Outlook/Exchange. So for the first time I am forced to use Outlook and
of course the first thing I missed were Snarl notifications on new mails.

So on a long trip on the German Autobahn as passenger I used the time
and created a first version of OutlookSnarl - which, as you might guess
already - shows notifications about new mails in your inbox.

Actually it looks like
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/982128/Tlhan%20Ghun/OutlookSnarl/OutlookSnarl_Summarized.png
and
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/982128/Tlhan%20Ghun/OutlookSnarl/OutlookSnarl_Detailed.png
and works fine already.

Will add configuration and hopefully reminders (shouldn't be that hard
as far as I already tested) but would like to know if there is a demand
for OutlookSnarl. So if you use Snarl and Outlook let me know - you
might geht an early version for testing ;)

Cheers

Sven

Chris

Sep 7, 2010, 8:48:05 AM9/7/10
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
I'll be using it!

Sent from my iPhone

Tokelil

Sep 7, 2010, 9:27:27 AM9/7/10
to Snarl Discussion
Running Outlook at work as well, so would probably use it as well.
(Using my own basic Outlook plugin, I never got around to publish
atm.)

- Toke

On Sep 7, 2:48 pm, Chris <chris....@fullphat.net> wrote:
> I'll be using it!
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 7 Sep 2010, at 13:31, "Tlhan Ghun (Sven Walther)" <pidginsn...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Last week my company started the switch from Lotus Notes to Outlook/Exchange. So for the first time I am forced to use Outlook and of course the first thing I missed were Snarl notifications on new mails.
>
> > So on a long trip on the German Autobahn as passenger I used the time and created a first version of OutlookSnarl - which, as you might guess already - shows notifications about new mails in your inbox.
>
> > Actually it looks likehttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/982128/Tlhan%20Ghun/OutlookSnarl/OutlookSnarl...andhttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/982128/Tlhan%20Ghun/OutlookSnarl/OutlookSnarl...and works fine already.

Chris

Sep 7, 2010, 9:37:25 AM9/7/10
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Same here - spent too long mucking around with the notification layout and right-click menu...

Sent from my iPhone

Chris

Sep 7, 2010, 9:39:29 AM9/7/10
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
You've probably got it covered but I have code for retrieving the sender's contact photo and a way to convert an internal outlook contact to SMTP...

Sent from my iPhone

M^3

Sep 7, 2010, 1:44:54 PM9/7/10
to Snarl Discussion
Me too. Outlook 2010

On Sep 7, 9:39 am, Chris <chris....@fullphat.net> wrote:
> You've probably got it covered but I have code for retrieving the sender's contact photo and a way to convert an internal outlook contact to SMTP...
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 7 Sep 2010, at 13:31, "Tlhan Ghun (Sven Walther)" <pidginsn...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Last week my company started the switch from Lotus Notes to Outlook/Exchange. So for the first time I am forced to use Outlook and of course the first thing I missed were Snarl notifications on new mails.
>
> > So on a long trip on the German Autobahn as passenger I used the time and created a first version of OutlookSnarl - which, as you might guess already - shows notifications about new mails in your inbox.
>
> > Actually it looks likehttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/982128/Tlhan%20Ghun/OutlookSnarl/OutlookSnarl...andhttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/982128/Tlhan%20Ghun/OutlookSnarl/OutlookSnarl...and works fine already.

Tlhan Ghun (Sven Walther)

Sep 8, 2010, 8:39:00 AM9/8/10
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Looks like there is quite some demand - will release an early version
soon which will do basic mail notifications and then have a deeper look
at the reminder stuff :)

Max Norris

Sep 8, 2010, 10:47:21 AM9/8/10
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
I'm actually fairly interested in this as well. Switched over to Outlook
2010 a few months back (Thunderbird just wasn't cutting it for me anymore)
and I'm not a fan of its old style popup notifications.

Is this going to be a COM plugin for Outlook itself, or an external
application? (Hoping the former.)

Tlhan Ghun (Sven Walther)

Sep 8, 2010, 10:48:23 AM9/8/10
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
It's a plugin directly for Outlook

Chris

Sep 8, 2010, 11:34:07 AM9/8/10
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Nice! Mine was a (flaky) standalone app.

Sent from my iPhone

Max Norris

Sep 8, 2010, 12:51:05 PM9/8/10
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Nice. Definitely sign me up if/when you want some testers for it.

Sven Walther

Sep 10, 2010, 3:20:53 AM9/10/10
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Packaged a first version for all of you for testing - you can get it at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/982128/Tlhan%20Ghun/OutlookSnarl/OutlookSnarlSetup.zip
To install it extract the archive and run the included setup.exe

This version features the new mail notifications including the contact photo if available :) There is already quite some code about reminders included but more or less completely untested (as our corporate migration is still in progress). Also you might want to disable the "General Debug" alert class in your Snarl settings which I use to spam myself about what is going on ;)

Let me know if it works at all and if you have contact photos if they are shown as well.

Cheers

Sven

Max Norris

Sep 10, 2010, 6:56:08 AM9/10/10
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Only did very limited testing as I'm heading out the door as I caught this
message, but so far it looks good In Outlook 2010, complete with contact
photos. Nice job :)

Chris

Sep 10, 2010, 9:27:31 AM9/10/10
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Tried it on outlook 2007 and now get a 'cannot open outlook window' message whenever I try to tun outlook.

Uninstalled it but issue still there - this will take some explaining to the help-desk!

Sent from my iPhone

Sven Walther

Sep 10, 2010, 9:31:48 AM9/10/10
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
:( no idea so what the problem could be.

Which Outlook / WIndows version are you running your tests on?

Chris

Sep 10, 2010, 9:46:01 AM9/10/10
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Outlook 2007 SP2 on XP SP3

I googled the error and tried a suggested fix - Start > Run > outlook.exe /resetnavpane which actually worked, although it's trashed my favourite folders :)

Sent from my iPhone

Tokelil

Sep 10, 2010, 12:27:53 PM9/10/10
to Snarl Discussion
My girlfriend has this error on a regular basis. (W7 x86, no Snarl
stuff) Never figured out why or how to prevent it. Only way to fix is
the /resetnavpane switch when it fucks up... :( So might be a
coincident.

- Toke

On Sep 10, 3:46 pm, Chris <chris....@fullphat.net> wrote:
> Outlook 2007 SP2 on XP SP3
>
> I googled the error and tried a suggested fix - Start > Run > outlook.exe /resetnavpane which actually worked, although it's trashed my favourite folders :)
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 10 Sep 2010, at 14:31, Sven Walther <pidginsn...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > :( no idea so what the problem could be.
>
> > Which Outlook / WIndows version are you running your tests on?
>
> > Am 10.09.2010 um 15:27 schrieb Chris:
>
> >> Tried it on outlook 2007 and now get a 'cannot open outlook window' message whenever I try to tun outlook.
>
> >> Uninstalled it but issue still there - this will take some explaining to the help-desk!
>
> >> Sent from my iPhone

Chris

Sep 10, 2010, 2:52:23 PM9/10/10
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Maybe but very unlikely - it's never happened before and I've had XP with Office 2007 on here for over 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone

Tokelil

Sep 27, 2010, 6:23:17 AM9/27/10
to Snarl Discussion
Tried this on my work PC, which runs 64bit Office and it doesn't seem
to work. Seems like the plug-in registers but fails to load. (
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/86148/SnarlOutlookNotLoading.png ) I can't
remember of the top of my head if 32-bit COM modules can be loaded
from 64-bit applications, but I assume not.

- Toke

On Sep 10, 9:20 am, Sven Walther <pidginsn...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Packaged a first version for all of you for testing - you can get it athttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/982128/Tlhan%20Ghun/OutlookSnarl/OutlookSnarl...

joysk20...@gmail.com