where's there's smoke there's brisket

Will Syrup

Sep 13, 2009, 8:03:19 AM9/13/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
7 pm dinner ended up being 8 pm dinner. took it out at 7:30 was 195 degrees. let set for 30 min. I've eaten a lot of briskets but never one this good. low & slow and no foil. 220 degrees for 9 1/2 hours.

780.jpg
781.jpg
782.jpg
783.jpg

Glenn Middendorf

Buzz Dean

Sep 13, 2009, 8:13:05 AM9/13/09
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
boy I'd eat that --looks alot better then last nites supper!

phil wingo

Sep 13, 2009, 8:13:16 AM9/13/09
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
looks great will , nice job

--- On Sun, 9/13/09, Will Syrup <will...@yahoo.co.jp> wrote:
Wanna talk trash instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch

Gary Wiviott

Sep 13, 2009, 9:22:07 AM9/13/09
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Will,

Looks really terrific, but I am still curious as to why you cut the brisket into thirds? Only reason I can think of is smoker size would not accommodate the entire brisket.

Enjoy,
Gary

Scot Murphy

Sep 13, 2009, 11:27:14 AM9/13/09
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 13, 2009, at 8:03 AM, Will Syrup wrote:

> 7 pm dinner ended up being 8 pm dinner. took it out at 7:30 was 195
> degrees. let set for 30 min. I've eaten a lot of briskets but never
> one this good.

Not even the wagyu?

Scot "looks mighty tasty" Murphy

will syrup

Sep 13, 2009, 6:16:25 PM9/13/09
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
space was not the problem, I only needed part of it. would I have been better off cooking the whole brisket then freezing it rather then freezing it uncooked ?
Will--still got a lot to learn.

Ed Hood

Sep 13, 2009, 6:58:26 PM9/13/09
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I can't imagine than smoked and frozen is a good as "freshly smoked".  How much?  I can't say.  The only thing I see about how you did it is that it takes 30 hours to smoke instead of 9 1/2.  I'm sure that time is not an issue for you...  :-)

Wish I was so lucky!

Ed
Kansas

will syrup

Sep 13, 2009, 7:33:29 PM9/13/09
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 12:27 AM, Scot Murphy <deppi...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sep 13, 2009, at 8:03 AM, Will Syrup wrote:

> 7 pm dinner ended up being 8 pm dinner. took it out at 7:30 was 195
> degrees. let set for 30 min. I've eaten a lot of briskets but never
> one this good.

Not even the wagyu?

Wagyu is in a different category. kinda like comparing  Chivas Regal w/ Royal Salute :)--but the wife liked this better. didn't have the fat, buttery taste.

Merrill

Sep 14, 2009, 12:24:37 AM9/14/09
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
will syrup wrote:
> space was not the problem, I only needed part of it. would I have been
> better off cooking the whole brisket then freezing it rather then
> freezing it uncooked ?
> Will--still got a lot to learn.

Will,
I usually go for the largest I can get. The smaller cut can sometimes
get a little dry cooking at low temps. Sounds like that wasn't a problem
for you. Looks like a very nice piece of beef.

Merrill

Gary Wiviott

Sep 14, 2009, 3:58:59 AM9/14/09
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 5:16 PM, will syrup <wsy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> space was not the problem, I only needed part of it. would I have been
> better off cooking the whole brisket then freezing it rather then
> freezing it uncooked ?

Will,

I would have smoked the entire brisket and frozen the parts I did not
use. A full packer cut brisket, which from the picture appears to be
what you have, smokes up wonderfully.

Far as Ed's comment a 16.5 lb brisket would take 30 hours, that has
not been my experience. A rough ball park estimate would be more on
the order of 12 hours.

Your finished 1/3 brisket looked very tasty, though if you had company
over when serving you most likely finished the entire portion and were
left wondering what to do about snacks, brisket tacos and a giant
Dagwood style smoked brisket ruben.

Enjoy,
Gary

will syrup

Sep 14, 2009, 4:15:55 AM9/14/09
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
thanks, think what Ed was saying is that i'll have 3 9 1/2 hour cooks rather than just one. it worked out alright this time, only dinner for wife and MIL . plenty left for todays lunch and dinner for the 2 of us.
Will

Bill Martin

Sep 14, 2009, 9:15:50 AM9/14/09
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Gary, Ed's comment was about smoking three separate pieces of this
brisket, when cooked separately, will total about 30 hours over 3
separate sessions.

Bill

On Sep 14, 2009, at 2:58 AM, Gary Wiviott wrote:

> Far as Ed's comment a 16.5 lb brisket would take 30 hours

"What do our opponents mean when they apply to us the label 'Liberal?'
If by 'Liberal' they mean, as they want people to believe, someone who
is soft in his policies abroad, who is against local government, and
who is unconcerned with the taxpayer’s dollar, then the record of this
party and its members demonstrate that we are not that kind of
'Liberal.' But if by a 'Liberal' they mean someone who looks ahead and
not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions,
someone who cares about the welfare of the people — their health,
their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and
their civil liberties — someone who believes we can break through the
stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that
is what they mean by a 'Liberal,' then I’m proud to say I’m a
'Liberal.'"
--John F. Kennedy