Not to bump an old thread, but here I am in April 2012 and had the
same issue, and it sucked that nobody had posted a fix.
So, I will be that person after a few minutes of looking at the
1) Make sure you're doing the following as the user you will be
running Sloppy as. Eg, if you're su, you'll be setting up the root
user and this won't fix it for your user. So a standard user terminal
will do nicely.
2) Bring up your Java Control Panel. For me, based on the version of
Java WS I'm running on Squeeze, it's: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-184.108.40.206/
bin/javaws (found by right clicking on the sloppy.jnlp file, choosing
"Open With" -> "Other Application", highlight Sun Java Web Start &
expand the "custom command" panel so you can see the path)
3) Close the Cache Viewer if open.
4) Go to the "Advanced" tab.
5) Open "Command to launch default browser"
6) Change to the appropriate command ... for me it is /usr/bin/firefox
NOTE: It is finicky. I find it works best if you use the "browse"
instead of typing in the command. Also, hit apply before you press
ok. Java fail. Re-open it to verify the setting.
Like more tips? Please check out my show: http://www.category5.tv