None ANN: New SketchUp scripting book available (Automatic SketchUp)

EE, LLC

Apr 24, 2010, 8:03:35 PM4/24/10
to Google SketchUp Developers - SketchUp Ruby API
A recently published book, _Automatic SketchUp_, provides a hands-on
approach to creating SketchUp-based Ruby scripts. The book discusses
every aspect of SketchUp coding, from design elements like Edges and
Faces to high-level plugin capabilities like Menus, Tools, Commands,
and Animation. For those not familiar with Ruby, three chapters
explain the capabilities of the language.

The full table of contents is:

Chapter 1: Introduction to SketchUp Scripting
Chapter 2: Ruby Lesson #1: Data Structures
Chapter 3: Fundamentals of SketchUp Scripting
Chapter 4: Transformations and Additional Geometry
Chapter 5: Ruby Lesson #2: Control Structures and Files
Chapter 6: Colors, Textures, and Materials
Chapter 7: Managing Geometry: Layers, Groups, and Components
Chapter 8: Ruby Lesson #3: Classes and Modules
Chapter 9: Attributes, Options, and Observers
Chapter 10: The SketchUp Interface: Dialogs, Menus, Commands, and
Plugins
Chapter 11: The SketchUp Interface: Views, Cameras, Pages, and Tools
Chapter 12: Actions & Animation
Chapter 13: WebDialogs
Appendix A: Classes and Modules
Appendix B: Advanced Geometry
Appendix C: Miscellaneous Tables

The first three chapters are available online at http://www.autosketchup.com.

This book is available for purchase through Amazon.com, and you can
visit its link at http://tinyurl.com/2ektkte

Thank you,
EE, LLC

Ladislav Klinc

Apr 26, 2010, 5:20:59 PM4/26/10
to Google SketchUp Developers - SketchUp Ruby API
Nice, finally some help to get started programming in Ruby for
Sketchup... can't wait to read it
> The first three chapters are available online athttp://www.autosketchup.com.
>
> This book is available for purchase through Amazon.com, and you can
> visit its link athttp://tinyurl.com/2ektkte

construsol

May 6, 2010, 3:41:35 AM5/6/10
to Google SketchUp Developers - SketchUp Ruby API
Hi EE, LLC:

I'm really interested in his book. Is there a way that I can buy an
electronic download of the book? (I live outisde the USA) Thanks.
> The first three chapters are available online athttp://www.autosketchup.com.
>
> This book is available for purchase through Amazon.com, and you can
> visit its link athttp://tinyurl.com/2ektkte

EE, LLC

May 18, 2010, 8:45:36 PM5/18/10
to Google SketchUp Developers - SketchUp Ruby API
Hi construsol,

Yes, there's a free PDF of Automatic SketchUp available, and you can
access it through Google Docs:

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1JtraED8shnNGZkNzM4ZmQtMTVmNS00Zjc4LWI2NjMtYzliZGVjYzQyNTU5&hl=en

The example code can be downloaded from www.autosketchup.com.

There are no conditions or restrictions - feel free to download and
distribute the PDF as you like. However, objective reviews of the
content are always welcome.

Enjoy!

Matt