How to manually update Ruby in SketchUp for Mac?

Andrei

Jul 25, 2010, 9:10:34 AM7/25/10
to Google SketchUp Developers - SketchUp Ruby API
I am trying to update Ruby to version 1.9.1 in the latest SketchUp for
Mac, but have some problems. I understand that SketchUp is shipped
with 1.8.5 ONLY, but still feel that it is possible to do such
upgrade, even if application may become unstable (I take such
responsibility). I have posted some more details about my actions in
the following thread http://superuser.com/questions/167453/
What can I do to proceed in the upgrade?

Thank you!

Andrei

Jul 25, 2010, 6:38:13 PM7/25/10
to Google SketchUp Developers - SketchUp Ruby API
I have made some progress, but still need help to finish upgrading.
At least, if someone needs Ruby 1.8.7 - there is working solution for
that.

Ruby 1.9.2-rc2 still gives me some troubles which I do not understand.
May be you can give me a good tip?

On Jul 25, 3:10 pm, Andrei <andrei.fo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to update Ruby to version 1.9.1 in the latest SketchUp for
> Mac, but have some problems. I understand that SketchUp is shipped
> with 1.8.5 ONLY, but still feel that it is possible to do such
> upgrade, even if application may become unstable (I take such
> responsibility). I have posted some more details about my actions in
> the following threadhttp://superuser.com/questions/167453/

Dan Rathbun

Jul 25, 2010, 8:22:03 PM7/25/10
to Google SketchUp Developers - SketchUp Ruby API
On Win32 when I tried to get Sketchup to load any 1.9.x I got an
"Entry point not found" for the ruby C function "rb_set_kcode" which
is no longer in 1.9.x (it was renamed, and the Ruby people did not
alias the old name to the new name.)

Basically Sketchup calls rb_set_kcode to set the character encoding to
UTF8 just after loading the Ruby interpreter. It works fine for any
Ruby in the 1.8.x branch, but in 1.9.x the Ruby project totally
reengineered the character encoding, and gave all the C functions new
identifiers, and added alot more functions.

The solution for 1.9.x and Sketchup seems to be that Sketchup needs to
be "Ruby Version Agile", which means a coding change by the Google
Guys in Boulder.

Matt Cloyd

May 31, 2013, 12:35:04 PM5/31/13
to sketch...@googlegroups.com, andrei...@gmail.com
Has anyone made any progress on this in the last three years?

Sketchup 8 is still using 1.8.5, which is maddening. I'm trying to persist a complex structure in document store (MongoDB) but Mongo requires RUBY_VERSION >= 1.9.