Action Food Mart

egrig...@yahoo.com

Dec 23, 2007, 2:19:19 PM12/23/07
to Six Hour Startup
Hi All,

Here's a duke nukem knockoff that never got off the ground. Remember
that archive project I was doing? Well, I popped open one of my
archive disks and located the art for action food mart. What's posted
is just an excerpt, I have more to grab but I have to have a
fullscreen dos box to run the original application and extract the
remaining files from there.

Action food mart is the story of Al who attempts to buy groceries yet
the environment is insanely hostile. For our trimmed down version, we
would have an opening intro (scenery2.bmp) that would pan down, then
we'd show Al attempting to add various things into his cart off the
shelves. As you can see there are various NPC dangers, concluding with
the butcher I expect. Al is never seperated from his cart but rather
uses it as his weapon. I think we may have punch frames of Al but
these need to be extracted.

It's got a kind of hipster cool, might be fun, if people missed duke
nukeum because y'all were too YOUNG this is your big chance.

http://cid-f7bece5845f21c5b.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/AFM.zip

- EG

egrig...@yahoo.com

Jan 13, 2008, 6:44:19 PM1/13/08
to Six Hour Startup
(mostly for Rob's attention but sent to the group for reference)

I found the original graphics program that was used to generate this
art, and while it isn't an ideal IDE, it does provide a reference for
the timing for these animations. It's a DOS program. Can we add Dosbox
to the VMWare image so we can drop in these programs as a reference?

I'm sure there's many MANY other good reasons to have DOS available
(cough, sputter) too!

Here's the link; https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DOSBox

Robert Eickmann

Jan 14, 2008, 2:43:31 AM1/14/08
to six-hour...@googlegroups.com
Sure, I will add in dosbox later this week.

(don't tell anyone but the reason I bought vmware is so that I can run
wordperfect 5.1 on my mac.... shoot going to lose geekpoints for that
one huh?)

What is the name of the graphics program?

-Rob

egrig...@yahoo.com

Jan 19, 2008, 5:00:11 PM1/19/08
to Six Hour Startup
I've done some work to group the graphics and convert them to 21st
century file formats. The results are in this new zip file (I took
down the original zip file from my first post). When unzipped, there's
a set of folders with all content available for that topic. It's fun
to browse around and imagine how it would be all put together.

http://cid-f7bece5845f21c5b.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/AFM_PNG_PLUS.zip

Inside the Old Formats folder there are the original animations. I'll
post again to this thread when I have the program accessible.

egrig...@yahoo.com

Jan 19, 2008, 10:36:41 PM1/19/08
to Six Hour Startup
I was thinking about using this open source sidescrolling game
platform:

http://sgdk2.sourceforge.net/index.shtml#News

XNA was cool, but way too intense for a sidescroller.

Anyone have any other ideas? Pros and cons of the tool posted above?