Codec bounty

Kaos

Sep 1, 2009, 12:04:56 PM9/1/09
to Sipdroid Users
First off, I'd just like to thank you all for the fantastic work done
so far on Sipdroid!

I work for a voip carrier that would like to sponsor some work on
Sipdroid.
Would anyone be interested in a bounty on increased codec support in
Sipdroid?
We would be willing to pay for the development of increased codec
support.
Having G.711 is a good start, but it has too high of bandwidth
requirements to be
really a viable codec for using on the 3G network.

Thanks a ton!

-- Kelly

The Kravets Family

Sep 2, 2009, 4:12:03 AM9/2/09
to sipdroi...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a good idea and I hope somebody goes for it!

lambretta

Sep 2, 2009, 10:17:32 PM9/2/09
to Sipdroid Users
I recall a comment on this list somewhere that on G711 was supported
by the Android OS but I could be wrong.
> <http://www.needgod.com>- Hide quoted text -

The Kravets Family

Sep 3, 2009, 5:58:52 AM9/3/09
to sipdroi...@googlegroups.com
You are partially correct... Have a look here: http://code.google.com/p/sipdroid/issues/detail?id=49

Kaos

Sep 3, 2009, 10:11:43 AM9/3/09
to Sipdroid Users
Yeah, android partially supports G.711, and Sipdroid uses G.711alaw
internally.

The problem is that G.711 isn't an ideal codec for using over 3G. G.
729, AMR, Speex, GSM, or iLBC would all be better :)

And Android has some native support for AMR as well.

lambretta

Sep 4, 2009, 3:47:08 AM9/4/09
to Sipdroid Users
OK, so is the development of support for a lower bandwidth codec
within Sipdroid a possibility or is it prevented by the OS?

The Kravets Family

Sep 4, 2009, 3:49:22 AM9/4/09
to sipdroi...@googlegroups.com
Possible, refer to comment #3 here: http://code.google.com/p/sipdroid/issues/detail?id=49

Kaos

Sep 4, 2009, 9:39:14 AM9/4/09
to Sipdroid Users
Its possible with both the NDK and without Android's help. The G711
codec and Sipdroid impliments is internal to Sipdroid, not Android.

lambretta

Sep 5, 2009, 1:38:46 AM9/5/09
to Sipdroid Users
OK then. How can I help get this going?

I'm not a code monkey but would like to help.