SMOB, SIOC and Laconica?

John Breslin

Jul 8, 2008, 7:32:19 AM7/8/08
to laconi...@laconi.ca, sioc...@googlegroups.com
Great work with Laconica! Testing it at www.tweet.ie and it works a
dream...

As you may know, Alex, Tuukka, Uldis and I worked on the SMOB prototype
for distributed / decentralised microblogging
(http://smob.sioc-project.org/). It uses FOAF and SIOC to model
microbloggers, their properties, account and service information, and
the microblog updates that users create. A multitude of publishing
services can ping one or a set of aggregating servers as selected by
each user, and it is important to note that users retain control of
their own data through self hosting. The aggregate view of microblogs
uses ARC2 for storage / querying and Exhibit (from SIMILE MIT) for the
user interface.

It'd be interesting to explore how we could integrate SMOB into the
OpenMicroBlogging world. But also, it'd be great to SIOC-enable
Laconica - for example, you can see third-party SIOC exports for Twitter
at http://tools.opiumfield.com/twitter/ev/rdf and from Jaiku at
http://sioku.sioc-project.org/tosioc/jyri

Looking forward to your ideas and responses (cross-posted to Laconica
and SIOC mailing lists).

Thanks,

John.
--
For those who want to try out this distributed microblogging client, you
can install it by doing a: "# svn co

Earle Martin

Jul 8, 2008, 2:14:38 PM7/8/08
to Laconica Developers Mailing List, sioc...@googlegroups.com
2008/7/8 Evan Prodromou <ev...@prodromou.name>:
John Breslin wrote:
> But also, it'd be great to SIOC-enable Laconica
I think Earle did a patch for that, but I can't find it. Earle?

Not exactly a patch per se, but a mockup of adding SIOC to our RSS feed - see attached. This is the global feed; it would need a little tweaking for individual user feeds, but not much.

Earle

--
قبائلَ صوتي – على صمتها
Earle Martin | http://downlode.org/

John Breslin

Jul 9, 2008, 4:57:59 AM7/9/08
to Earle Martin, Laconica Developers Mailing List, sioc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Evan - great stuff Earle -

I have a question - one of the things that always annoyed me in Twitter
was the fact that you were never sure exactly what post another post was
replying to - they just link back to the previous one in time. Will
Laconica use the same model - so if we see a message to another user
@whoever, should we add in some SIOC metadata saying that this is a
reply_of the previous post of @whoever by time?

Also, it'd be good to have a paginated SIOC feed so that we can access
the full set of microblog posts by a user... Perhaps the site feed
should still be limited as it would be too many pages :) But there
could be something like this structure:

Site -> host_of -> (many) Microblog(s) -> container_of -> (many)
MicroblogPost(s)

and possibly:

Microblog -> has_owner -> User
Microblog -> has_subscriber -> AnotherUser
MicroblogPost -> has_creator -> User

(The sioc:User and the foaf:onlineAccount specified in
http://identi.ca/whoever/foaf can be thought of as being the same, i.e.
an online user account held by a foaf:Person. Looking at the existing
FOAF pages, I think that http://identi.ca/whoever and
http://identi.ca/user/123 are interchanged or rather used interchangebly?)

Earle, did you do anything with a RSS producer or should we have a look
at SIOC-enabling (hacking) that with the above suggestions and using
your mockup as a starting point?

Thanks!

John.
--
Earle Martin wrote:
> 2008/7/8 Evan Prodromou <ev...@prodromou.name

Alexandre Passant

Jul 28, 2008, 3:11:14 PM7/28/08
to sioc...@googlegroups.com, laconi...@laconi.ca
Hi,

Le 8 juil. 08 à 13:32, John Breslin a écrit :

> Great work with Laconica! Testing it at www.tweet.ie and it works a
> dream...
>
> As you may know, Alex, Tuukka, Uldis and I worked on the SMOB
> prototype
> for distributed / decentralised microblogging
> (http://smob.sioc-project.org/). It uses FOAF and SIOC to model
> microbloggers, their properties, account and service information, and
> the microblog updates that users create. A multitude of publishing
> services can ping one or a set of aggregating servers as selected by
> each user, and it is important to note that users retain control of
> their own data through self hosting. The aggregate view of microblogs
> uses ARC2 for storage / querying and Exhibit (from SIMILE MIT) for the
> user interface.
>
> It'd be interesting to explore how we could integrate SMOB into the
> OpenMicroBlogging world. But also, it'd be great to SIOC-enable
> Laconica - for example, you can see third-party SIOC exports for
> Twitter
> at http://tools.opiumfield.com/twitter/ev/rdf and from Jaiku at
> http://sioku.sioc-project.org/tosioc/jyri

While this is not directly about exporting SIOC for laconi.ca, I'm
happy to announce that SMOB can be now used to publish on laconi.ca
powered websites (as identi.ca)
See: http://apassant.net/blog/2008/07/28/integrating-laconica-to-smob/
This means that you can publish to identi.ca and get related SIOC data
locally (saved on your SMOB client)

It currently uses curl + HTTP-Auth, we'll look at oauth when time
permits.
And, as discussed on #laconica today, it would be also interesting to
see how the OpenMicroBlogging specs can be used / adapted for make
both applications more compliant.

Best,

Alex.