SIOC Changes and OWL-DL compliance

Alexandre Passant

Oct 14, 2008, 7:42:18 AM10/14/08
to sioc...@groups.google.com
Hi all,

We just made some changes to the SIOC Core ontology and to the related modules:

- Added OWL-DL compliance statements for SIOC Core and the Types /
Access / Services modules
- Edited owl:disjointWith statements for some classes of SIOC Core
- Removed domain of sioc:note
- Removed domain of sioc:has_owner and range of sioc:owner_of
- Defined sioc:account_of as inverse property of foaf:holdsAccount
- Defined sioc:avatar as a subproperty of foaf:depiction

So, SIOC is now OWL-DL !
This change was motivated by the current SWANSIOC integration project
[1] that will be introduced during the upcoming ISWC tutorial on
Semantic Web for Health Care and Life Sciences [2].

The SIOC Core Ontology Specification has been updated according to the
changes - http://rdfs.org/sioc/spec/

Best,

Alex.

[1] http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLSIG/SWANSIOC
[2] http://iswc2008.semanticweb.org/tutorials/semantic-web-for-health-care-and-life-sciences/

Simon Reinhardt

Oct 14, 2008, 11:14:11 AM10/14/08
to SIOC-Dev
Hi

On Oct 14, 12:42 pm, "Alexandre Passant" <a...@passant.org> wrote:
> - Defined sioc:account_of as inverse property of foaf:holdsAccount

Doesn't that imply that foaf:holdsAccount always links to a sioc:User
instead of a foaf:OnlineAccount? Might as well make sioc:User and
foaf:OnlineAccount equivalent classes then, or?

> So, SIOC is now OWL-DL !

Nice!

Simon

Matthias Samwald

Oct 15, 2008, 4:23:01 AM10/15/08
to SIOC-Dev

> So, SIOC is now OWL-DL !

Great!!
I hope that other important schemas/micro-ontologies such as SCOT,
SKOS, FOAF etc. could follow suit sooner or later...

-- Matthias

Sergio Fernández

Oct 19, 2008, 6:48:39 AM10/19/08
to sioc...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 08:14 -0700, Simon Reinhardt wrote:
> Doesn't that imply that foaf:holdsAccount always links to a sioc:User
> instead of a foaf:OnlineAccount? Might as well make sioc:User and
> foaf:OnlineAccount equivalent classes then, or?

Actually sioc:User is subClassOf foaf:OnlineAccount.

BTW, good work Alex!

--
Sergio Fernández - sergio.f...@fundacionctic.org
R&D Deparment

Simon Reinhardt

Oct 19, 2008, 8:49:08 AM10/19/08
to SIOC-Dev
On Oct 19, 11:48 am, Sergio Fernández
<sergio.fernan...@fundacionctic.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 08:14 -0700, Simon Reinhardt wrote:
> > Doesn't that imply that foaf:holdsAccount always links to a sioc:User
> > instead of a foaf:OnlineAccount? Might as well make sioc:User and
> > foaf:OnlineAccount equivalent classes then, or?
>
> Actually sioc:User is subClassOf foaf:OnlineAccount.

That's exactly the problem, they're not equivalent. Not every
foaf:OnlineAccount is a sioc:User.

Regards,
Simon

Sergio Fernández

Oct 20, 2008, 2:45:41 AM10/20/08
to sioc...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 05:49 -0700, Simon Reinhardt wrote:
> > Actually sioc:User is subClassOf foaf:OnlineAccount.
>
> That's exactly the problem, they're not equivalent. Not every
> foaf:OnlineAccount is a sioc:User.

That's right, but every sioc:User is a foaf:OnlineAccount ;-)

So, or I'm not understanding your doubts, or I can not see the problem
with this.

Cheers,

Simon Reinhardt

Oct 20, 2008, 8:23:44 AM10/20/08
to SIOC-Dev
I'm not an OWL expert, so I might be wrong about this inference. But
look at this example:

ex:Mary a foaf:Person ; foaf:holdsAccount ex:m .

Since the range of foaf:holdsAccount is a foaf:OnlineAccount, we can
infer:

ex:m a foaf:OnlineAccount .

But we also know that foaf:holdsAccount has the inverse property
sioc:account_of, so the following can also be inferred:

ex:m sioc:account_of ex:Mary .

Since the domain of sioc:account_of is sioc:User, ex:m is now also a
sioc:User.

So everytime someone uses the property foaf:holdsAccount it can be
inferred that the object of the statement is a sioc:User, if they want
or not. Basically this means making foaf:OnlineAccount and sioc:User
equivalent. So where's the point in having a sub-class of
foaf:OnlineAccount at all? How're they different? Inference-wise they
aren't really.

Simon

Olivier GENDRIN

Oct 20, 2008, 10:26:59 AM10/20/08
to sioc...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Simon Reinhardt
<simon.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So everytime someone uses the property foaf:holdsAccount it can be
> inferred that the object of the statement is a sioc:User, if they want
> or not. Basically this means making foaf:OnlineAccount and sioc:User
> equivalent. So where's the point in having a sub-class of
> foaf:OnlineAccount at all? How're they different? Inference-wise they
> aren't really.

A foaf:OnlineAccount may not be part of an "Online Community", so not
relevant for SIOC...

--
Olivier G.
http://www.lespacedunmatin.info/blog/

Simon Reinhardt

Oct 20, 2008, 11:00:00 AM10/20/08
to SIOC-Dev
On Oct 20, 3:26 pm, "Olivier GENDRIN" <olivier.gend...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Simon Reinhardt
>
> <simon.reinha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > So everytime someone uses the property foaf:holdsAccount it can be
> > inferred that the object of the statement is a sioc:User, if they want
> > or not. Basically this means making foaf:OnlineAccount and sioc:User
> > equivalent. So where's the point in having a sub-class of
> > foaf:OnlineAccount at all? How're they different? Inference-wise they
> > aren't really.
>
> A foaf:OnlineAccount may not be part of an "Online Community", so not
> relevant for SIOC...

See, so my point is: if they're different then you have to be careful
with the inferencing. Making sioc:account_of the inverse of
foaf:hasAccount practically merges the two classes.

Sergio Fernández

Oct 21, 2008, 4:04:43 AM10/21/08
to sioc...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 16:26 +0200, Olivier GENDRIN wrote:
> A foaf:OnlineAccount may not be part of an "Online Community", so not
> relevant for SIOC...

Literally from [1]: "a foaf:OnlineAccount represents the provision of
some form of online service". And sioc:User specializes it for users of
online communities (a subset of online services).

Sorry, but I continue without understand your point... why is not
relevant for SIOC?

Cheers,

[1] http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#term_OnlineAccount

Olivier GENDRIN

Oct 21, 2008, 4:39:57 AM10/21/08
to sioc...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Sergio Fernández
<sergio.f...@fundacionctic.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 16:26 +0200, Olivier GENDRIN wrote:
>> A foaf:OnlineAccount may not be part of an "Online Community", so not
>> relevant for SIOC...
>
> Literally from [1]: "a foaf:OnlineAccount represents the provision of
> some form of online service". And sioc:User specializes it for users of
> online communities (a subset of online services).
>
> Sorry, but I continue without understand your point... why is not
> relevant for SIOC?
>
> [1] http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#term_OnlineAccount

Can't find an example right now, my answer was mostly theoretical...

Sorry...