Feed to SIOC XSLT

1 view

Andreas Harth

Nov 28, 2006, 5:55:36 AM11/28/06
to sioc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Uldis,

thanks a lot for making the feed to SIOC XSLT available! I've checked
in a version of the feed-sioc.xsl script [1] that generates valid RDF/XML.

One thing: currently, the URL to the feed has to be passed as a parameter
to the XSLT. Is it possible to get that information out of the feed
itself? I don't have the feed/Forum URL at hand when invoking the script.

Many thanks!

Regards,
Andreas.

[1] http://sw.deri.ie/svn/sw/2005/08/sioc/xslt/feed-sioc.xsl

Uldis Bojars

Nov 28, 2006, 9:48:52 AM11/28/06
to sioc...@googlegroups.com
Fixed that.

The code to extract feed's URL from the link rel="self" element was
already there ( thanks, Morten! ), just needed to loosen its matching
rules because it was looking for a link of type "application/atom+xml"
but there are many feeds that advertise their url as other MIME types
such as "text/xml".

Uldis

Andreas Harth

Nov 29, 2006, 1:40:56 PM11/29/06
to sioc...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 02:48:52PM +0000, Uldis Bojars wrote:

> Fixed that.
>
> The code to extract feed's URL from the link rel="self" element was
> already there ( thanks, Morten! ), just needed to loosen its matching
> rules because it was looking for a link of type "application/atom+xml"
> but there are many feeds that advertise their url as other MIME types
> such as "text/xml".

I have made some improvements to the XSLT [1] - now categories are handled a
bit better, and the XSLT also converts from RSS 1.0 to SIOC.

Enjoy!

Uldis Bojars

Dec 14, 2006, 1:23:30 PM12/14/06
to SIOC-Dev
Andreas,

> I have made some improvements to the XSLT [1] - now categories are handled a
> bit better, and the XSLT also converts from RSS 1.0 to SIOC.

I changed XSLT script to output all RDF as-is.

This shall fix the problem that script output was empty if input was
RDF other than RSS 1.0, e.g., LJ FOAF. A side effect is that RSS 1.0
will also be output as-is for now.

One small difference in output is that if the source had CDATA sections
(e.g., content:encoded) those will be output entity encoded instead.

To All: we are using this script to convert a large amount of feeds in
different formats (mainly Atom and RSS 2.0) to RDF and are using SIOC
as a universal representation that we can map them all to ("one ring to
rule them all").

Best,
Uldis

> [1] http://sw.deri.ie/svn/sw/2005/08/sioc/xslt/feed-sioc.xsl

luis.

Dec 14, 2006, 1:47:54 PM12/14/06
to SIOC-Dev
Hi Uldis and Andreas,

I have recently started working with SIOC and I am very interested in
converting Feeds to SIOC. My name is Luis and I am working on a
Semantic enhanced blog search engine for my master Thesis. My master
Thesis coordinator is Juan Miguel Gomez who sent you (Uldis) an email
and were working for deri before coming back to Madrid.

I am trying to read as much as possible about SIOC, Ontologies,
SPARQL... and I can see how much work you have spent on it.

I tried to download your XSLT and it doesnt work? is the URL bad?

Thanks in advance

luis.

On 14 dic, 19:23, "Uldis Bojars" <capts...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Andreas,
>
> > I have made some improvements to the XSLT [1] - now categories are handled a

> > bit better, and the XSLT also converts from RSS 1.0 to SIOC.I changed XSLT script to output all RDF as-is.

Uldis Bojars

Dec 14, 2006, 2:20:48 PM12/14/06
to SIOC-Dev
To All: the correct URL for XSLT script is:
http://sw.deri.org/svn/sw/2005/08/sioc/xslt/feed-sioc.xsl

Hi Luis,

Welcome and thanks for spotting mistake in the URL of XSLT script. The
URL I posted above should work ok.

> I have recently started working with SIOC and I am very interested in
> converting Feeds to SIOC. My name is Luis and I am working on a
> Semantic enhanced blog search engine for my master Thesis. My master
> Thesis coordinator is Juan Miguel Gomez who sent you (Uldis) an email
> and were working for deri before coming back to Madrid.

You have picked an interesting topic. I received Juan's email that you
mention, sorry if I have been slow with replies, this has been a very
busy time. Welcome to ask anything that you need to know and best copy
your questions to the list so that others have an opportunity to reply.

SIOC project site [ http://sioc-project.org ] should be a good
introduction. We are also working on more tools that work with SIOC
and, as discussed on SIOC-Dev earlier on, applications that can consume
SIOC data are what we need now.

> I am trying to read as much as possible about SIOC, Ontologies,
> SPARQL... and I can see how much work you have spent on it.

Thanks. There is a solid basis now, but there's much more work that can
be done.

In terms of work to be done - data export part is built for WordPress,
Drupal and some other CMS engines, but even then more SIOC
plugins/exporters need to be created. If anyone know of a CMS / blog /
bulletin board engine that 'd benefit from SIOC export, please go ahead
and create SIOC plugin for it. There is a SIOC API for PHP that you may
use.

We have got a development server now where we shall be able to
experiment with SIOC w/o impact on main SIOC site and services. A SIOC
search engine would be one thing I'd like to see working. If you have
more ideas about applications to build for SIOC, please write.

Best,
Uldis

[ http://captsolo.net/info/ ]