sioct:Item and relationship to foaf:Document

kidehen

Jul 17, 2008, 3:52:42 PM7/17/08
to SIOC-Dev
Uldis, John, et al,

More than likely an oversight on my part (I suspect re. not reviewing
the specs properly), but when I proposed sioct:Item I did not have
foaf:Document subclassing in mind at all. The sioct:Container and
sioct:Item classes are supposed to be generic. This is very very
important.

Simple example: How do I use sioc to handle a collection of my
favorite "Things" (which are clearly not all documents)?

I always envisaged sioct:Container as a superclass of bibo:Document |
foaf:Document (since both are equivalent).

Kingsley

kidehen

Jul 17, 2008, 5:29:15 PM7/17/08
to SIOC-Dev
All,
In addition to my earlier post above.
Here is the text from <http://rdfs.org/sioc/spec/#term_Item> :

Item is a high-level concept for content items. It has subclasses that
further specify different types of Items. One of these subclasses
(which plays an important role in SIOC) is sioc:Post, used to describe
articles or messages created within online community Sites. The SIOC
Types Ontology Module describes additional, more specific subclasses
of sioc:Item.

Items can be contained within Containers.

It should have stated:
Item is a high-level concept for *container items*. It has subclasses
that further specify different types of Items. One of these subclasses
(which plays an important role in SIOC) is sioc:Post, used to describe
articles or messages created within online community Sites. The SIOC
Types Ontology Module describes additional, more specific subclasses
of sioc:Item.

Items are contained within Containers.

From the above (old or revised) you can see the collision with
sioc:Post (which is a foaf:Document typed Class),

Let's fix this anomaly ASAP.

Kingsley

kidehen

Jul 20, 2008, 9:31:56 PM7/20/08
to SIOC-Dev
All,
Correction to my earlier post. Primarily, I used "sioct" namespace
abbreviation when I actually meant "sioc".

Anyway:

We cannot have sioct:Item as a subclass of foaf:Document. Especially
when you have sioc:Post as a subclass of sioc:Item and sioc:Post as a
subclass of foaf:Document.

sioc:Item is a generic item that is associated with a generic
sioc:Container. I added these bits to SIOC with a lot of
premeditation. We need to rectify as per my earlier mail

Also note this excerpt from the UMBEL ontology [1] amplifies the
problem:

SIOC (Socially Interlinked Online Communities Ontology)

* sc:PropositionalConceptualWork umbel:superClassOf sioc:Item
* sc:PropositionalConceptualWork umbel:superClassOf sioc:Post

We also need to be clear about the relationship between sioc:Space and
sioc:Container. sioc:Space is really an abstract data access and
storage location [2]. You should be able to associate a sioc:Space
with a sioc:Container since the sioc:Container is simply a partition
(or named data cluster akin to a named graph) within an abstract
structured data space.

Links:

1. http://www.umbel.org/technical_documentation.html (see Appendix A
where External Ontology linkage is covered)
2. http://www.cycfoundation.org/concepts/Database-AbstractContent

Kingsley

John Breslin

Jul 21, 2008, 11:05:12 AM7/21/08
to sioc...@googlegroups.com
Hi -

Made the two quick fixes - commented out foaf:Document in the namespace
and changed "content items" to "container items" in the Item description
file.

Sorry for delay, was out of office.

Thanks,

John.

Dr. John Breslin
DERI, NUI Galway
http://sw.deri.org/~jbreslin/
john.b...@deri.org

kidehen

Jul 21, 2008, 12:16:18 PM7/21/08
to SIOC-Dev

On Jul 21, 11:05 am, John Breslin <john.bres...@deri.org> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Made the two quick fixes - commented out foaf:Document in the namespace
> and changed "content items" to "container items" in the Item description
> file.
>
> Sorry for delay, was out of office.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John.