improvement to has_many

Lenny

Nov 23, 2009, 12:42:31 PM11/23/09
to SimpleRecord
Building my first SimpleRecord-based app, I ran into a bit of
frustration because I couldn't use methods like map and length on
has_many, but I found a simple solution that I think the rest of you
might like and may want to integrate into the project's next release:

# test will fail:
class Bar < SimpleRecord::Base end
class Foo < SimpleRecord::Base
has_many :bars
end
f = Foo.create
f.bars << Bar.create
f.bars.length # error but should return 1
f.bars.map{|b|b} # error but should return [Bar]

module SimpleRecord
class Base
def method_missing(name, *args, &block)
load.respond_to?(name) ? load.__send__(name,*args,&block) : super
(name,*args,&block)
end
end
end
# now the tests will pass

Chad Arimura

Nov 23, 2009, 3:18:45 PM11/23/09
to simple...@googlegroups.com
Lenny -

Thanks for the tip! f.bars.count should work as is, and f.bars.size
is an alias of count, but there is no length method. Are count() and
size() sufficient?

Cheers,
Chad

Travis Reeder

Nov 23, 2009, 3:59:29 PM11/23/09
to simple...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lenny,

There is a length method actually, so not sure why that doesn't work for you. If you could provide a stacktrace for the error, that would be great.  The results array currently doesn't support all the standard ruby array methods because it's actually an instance if SimpleRecord::ResultsArray which is primarily there to support lazy loading functionality (loads one set of results a time and only gets more if they are actually needed/used). http://github.com/appoxy/simple_record/blob/master/lib/results_array.rb

Map is certainly not there yet, but I suppose it could be added without too much effort.

Travis

Chad Arimura

Nov 23, 2009, 4:15:28 PM11/23/09
to simple...@googlegroups.com

Hey Travis,

I think has many returns activesdb_something object and not results array.  Maybe we should switch that over for continuity as long as its seamless.

On Nov 23, 2009 12:59 PM, "Travis Reeder" <tre...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Lenny,

There is a length method actually, so not sure why that doesn't work for you. If you could provide a stacktrace for the error, that would be great.  The results array currently doesn't support all the standard ruby array methods because it's actually an instance if SimpleRecord::ResultsArray which is primarily there to support lazy loading functionality (loads one set of results a time and only gets more if they are actually needed/used). http://github.com/appoxy/simple_record/blob/master/lib/results_array.rb

Map is certainly not there yet, but I suppose it could be added without too much effort.

Travis

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Chad Arimura <cari...@gmail.com> wrote: > > Lenny - > > Thanks...

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SimpleRecord" group. ...

Travis Reeder

Nov 23, 2009, 4:39:28 PM11/23/09
to simple...@googlegroups.com
Ahh yes, just checked it out and you are right. Should definitely be switched to ResultsArray.  I created a ticket here: http://appoxy.lighthouseapp.com/projects/38366-simplerecord/tickets/13-make-has_many-use-resultsarray-rather-than-old-sub_array

Lenny, do you have a good unit test for has_many we can use while fixing this?

Travis

Lenny Turetsky

Nov 24, 2009, 1:30:48 AM11/24/09
to simple...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your speedy replies, Travis and Chad.

I was over-simplifying a bit. The method I really needed wasn't
length() or even map(); it was each_with_index().
Really, implementing method_missing() is the way to go. Implementing
each method when somebody complains about its absence is too much of a
patchwork.

> do you have a good unit test for has_many we can use while fixing this?

Not sure what you have in mind, but I'd like to test everything
returned by ActiveRecord.has_many.public_methods. After all, we're
trying to be a replacement for ActiveRecord.

Thanks for listening,

Lenny