Timeline Gadget in Google Docs

Brian Croxall

Apr 1, 2008, 3:03:46 PM4/1/08
to SIMILE Widgets, General List
I've been a bit behind in reading the SIMILE listserv recently, so I
just today came across the posts discussing David's integration of
Timeline as a gadget in Google Docs. I'm excited about this tool as it
promises to make it even easier to build timelines for classes and
other educational uses (even if it will make me look less cool around
the English department if everyone can do it).

I quickly threw up a copy of one of my timelines to play with the
gadget, but have been unable to get it to work. I keep getting an
error message that says "You may not have included all the proper
column headers in your range -- please click help in the timeline." I
have tried several different ranges, and I am convinced that I have
the range selected properly. What's more, I think that I have all the
column headers that are required per http://jrochelle.googlepages.com/97g-timeline-about.html:
title, start, end, description, image, link.

Can anyone help me see where I might be making a mistake? You can see
my spreadsheet at http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pgVTGTpzTQgusBG67JxStLQ.

Thanks,
Brian

David Huynh

Apr 2, 2008, 9:26:14 AM4/2/08
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
Brian,

Have you tried all-lowercase column headings? ("start" instead of
"Start", etc.)

By the way, the latest code according to Jonathan is here:

http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/file/114448529270295376137/timeline-gadget-v1-r4.xml

David

Brian Croxall

Apr 3, 2008, 10:07:12 AM4/3/08
to SIMILE Widgets
David,

Yes, I've tried all-lowercase column headings. Playing with caps was
one of the first things that I've tried.

I'll glance through the code and see if I can see something that might
be helpful. Although that sometimes resembles what happens when I open
the hood of my car. I know that it's what I'm supposed to do...but
that doesn't necessarily mean that it teaches me anything.

Brian

On Apr 2, 9:26 am, David Huynh <dfhu...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Brian,
>
> Have you tried all-lowercase column headings? ("start" instead of
> "Start", etc.)
>
> By the way, the latest code according to Jonathan is here:
>
> http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/file/114448529270295376137/tim...
>
> David
>
> Brian Croxall wrote:
> > I've been a bit behind in reading the SIMILE listserv recently, so I
> > just today came across the posts discussing David's integration of
> > Timeline as a gadget in Google Docs. I'm excited about this tool as it
> > promises to make it even easier to build timelines for classes and
> > other educational uses (even if it will make me look less cool around
> > the English department if everyone can do it).
>
> > I quickly threw up a copy of one of my timelines to play with the
> > gadget, but have been unable to get it to work. I keep getting an
> > error message that says "You may not have included all the proper
> > column headers in your range -- please click help in the timeline." I
> > have tried several different ranges, and I am convinced that I have
> > the range selected properly. What's more, I think that I have all the
> > column headers that are required perhttp://jrochelle.googlepages.com/97g-timeline-about.html:

David Huynh

Apr 3, 2008, 12:28:40 PM4/3/08
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
Brian,

Are you using IE by any chance? We're having some problem with IE.

You could share that spreadsheet with just me (dfh...@gmail.com) and
I'll try to see what's wrong.

David

Brian Croxall

Apr 3, 2008, 4:13:33 PM4/3/08
to SIMILE Widgets
I'm not using IE, although I have tried it in both FF and IE just to
make sure that wasn't the problem. I've gone ahead and added you as a
collaborator to the spreadsheet to see if you can help.

Thanks,
Brian

Peter Frederick

Apr 3, 2008, 6:41:06 PM4/3/08
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

I'm using IE7 and that timeline doesn't work for me. It complains that
'you haven't included all the proper column headers in your range -
please click help in the timeline'.

[object Error]

Cheers
Peter

David Huynh

Apr 3, 2008, 9:08:00 PM4/3/08
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Brian.

I think I've fixed it now. Jonathan actually has the latest code so I'll
let him incorporate the fix later. Right now, you can choose a Custom
gadget and point it to this code URL:

http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/file/115939161733624290196/timeline-gadget-2.xml
I've updated your spreadsheet. It should work in Firefox. IE has other
problems.