Plans for upcoming release: eCommerce 1.0

Jeremy Shipman

Jan 17, 2011, 4:25:00 PM1/17/11
to Silverstripe Ecommerce
We're a few releases away from eCommerce 1.0, which should be the best
release of eCommerce yet.

There's a bit of confusion and doubt around the module, and it's not
nice to hear that people aren't confident in the module.

I want to propose that eCommerce 1.0 answers the community's, and our,
frustration with the module.
I propose that version 1.0 should:

* Include the most core features, written to the highest coding
standard we can achieve.
o Probably a few modules too: Stock, Variations
o and modifiers: tax, shipping
* Fully language-customisable
* Include a nice clean, free template that is:
o W3C HTML & CSS validated
o simple to build upon
o SEO optimized?
o employ a designer to do this?
o AJAXed, but degrades nicely
* Be well and truly tested, with a set of unit tests, and
thorough.
* Include all the user documentation needed to manage the core
features
o Make use of the new markdown-based docs system, even if it
hasn't been released yet.
o A few youtube videos on how to use?
* Complete developer documentation for setting up and customising
the module.
o Recommendations for a fully secure site...eg SSL
encryption
* A completely up-to-date demo site. It may be an idea to come up
with a few demo sites to prove the module works for different
scenarios.
* Possibly seek to achieve some kind of standards recognition. eg:
PCI standard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_DSS
* Clearly document our development & release process to keep
everyone happy in future. (for ourselves, and future devs)
o Create a tag, and a download

We're more than happy for people to help contribute towards this
module, as it will mean we can all see the module get to where we want
it sooner.

bia...@redconsulting.it

Jan 17, 2011, 4:58:38 PM1/17/11
to jer...@burnbright.co.nz, silverstrip...@googlegroups.com
I like this info...which is today status?
Jan 17, 2011, 5:01:29 PM1/17/11
to Silverstripe Ecommerce
Today we're at version 0.8. (assuming thats what you mean?)
We'll do a 0.9 release as an intermediate step towards 1.0.