Please create a new module in trac/svn for the DataObjectManager module

Andrew Moist

Jan 8, 2010, 9:55:07 AM1/8/10
to SilverStripe Development
Hi,

DataObjectManager is a very popular module and it is crazy that it
does not have its own place in trac. Currently all bugs are being
reported in this thread:
http://silverstripe.org/dataobjectmanager-module-forum/show/260986

Can someone please add the module to trac and subversion?

Thanks,
Andrew

Sam Minnee

Jan 8, 2010, 9:53:10 PM1/8/10
to SilverStripe Development
I agree that reporting bugs in a single forum thread is suboptimal.
However, I'm not sure if it's really a good idea to list bugs on
open.silverstripe.org, either. The problem is that the module is
being developed by UncleCheese, the developer of DataObjectManager,
and he doesn't have as much control over open.silverstripe.org as he
would likely need.

Trac isn't very granular about assigning permission rights, and so
dumping all 3rd party modules together in a single bugtracker won't
really work.

Ideally, it would be best to clearly link to a bug tracker dedicated
to the DataObjectManager, and possibly to UncleCheese's other modules.

UncleCheese, what do you think would work best? If we can figure out
something that works, then we can recommend that model to other 3rd
party module developers.

Andrew Moist

Jan 9, 2010, 4:59:08 AM1/9/10
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sam - if Trac doesn't have the permissions capabilities then there isn't much you can do.

UncleCheese - I think its worth the effort picking a web app to host the project and bug tracking. That would encourage others to contribute to the code.

Thanks,
Andrew

Cam Spiers

Jan 10, 2010, 3:30:05 PM1/10/10
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Google project hosting could be an option. It has a wiki and an issue tracker.

Hamish Campbell

Jan 10, 2010, 6:01:59 PM1/10/10
to SilverStripe Development
I just went through the process of deploying my own Trac/SVN combo. It
was relatively painless on a Debian Apache server.

Google Project hosting is pretty good - don't forget that it is only
for Open Source projects, so if you want to use it for other
commercial work (or even free software that doesn't match one of their
licenses) you'll need to go elsewhere.

The extensions section of the silverstripe.org could be improved to
provide better linkages. At the moment, it is hard even to find
modules and widges via silverstripe.org. I always go straight to
open.silverstripe.com/browser so any non SilverStripe Ltd. modules are
going to be missed.

Regards
Hamish

On Jan 11, 9:30 am, Cam Spiers <camspi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Google project hosting could be an option. It has a wiki and an issue
> tracker.
>
> http://code.google.com/hosting/createProject
>
> Cam
>

> On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 10:59 PM, Andrew Moist <and...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Sam - if Trac doesn't have the permissions capabilities then there
> > isn't much you can do.
>
> > UncleCheese - I think its worth the effort picking a web app to host the
> > project and bug tracking. That would encourage others to contribute to the
> > code.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Andrew
>

> > 2010/1/9 Sam Minnee <sam.min...@gmail.com>

> >> I agree that reporting bugs in a single forum thread is suboptimal.
> >> However, I'm not sure if it's really a good idea to list bugs on
> >> open.silverstripe.org, either.  The problem is that the module is
> >> being developed by  UncleCheese, the developer of DataObjectManager,
> >> and he doesn't have as much control over open.silverstripe.org as he
> >> would likely need.
>
> >> Trac isn't very granular about assigning permission rights, and so
> >> dumping all 3rd party modules together in a single bugtracker won't
> >> really work.
>
> >> Ideally, it would be best to clearly link to a bug tracker dedicated
> >> to the DataObjectManager, and possibly to UncleCheese's other modules.
>
> >> UncleCheese, what do you think would work best?  If we can figure out
> >> something that works, then we can recommend that model to other 3rd
> >> party module developers.

> >>http://silverstripe.org/dataobjectmanager-module-forum/show/260986

> >> --

> >> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/silverstripe-dev?hl=en.

Tim Klein

Jan 10, 2010, 6:11:44 PM1/10/10
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've been using redmine ( http://www.redmine.org/ ) for our internal
company project management.

It turned out to be a 'better' trac as it supports various SCM systems
(SVN, Mercurial CVS, Bazaar, GIT...).

It manages permissions on a project basis.
Projects can be public or private.
It also hooks in directly in svn to manage permissions.

Users can register themselves and can be assigned to manage certain
projects etc.

All in all a very handy tool!

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Klein
Senior Developer

address: Level 1, 1 Searle lane, Queenstown
skype: kelptim
email: t...@kelpdesign.com
website: http://www.kelpdesign.com
phone: +64 3 409 2031
mobile: +64 21 234 35 78

dalesaurus

Jan 11, 2010, 1:22:19 PM1/11/10
to SilverStripe Development
+1 more for Redmine. One of the best general purpose code/project
management suites, free or paid. I have evaluated and used dozens of
them over the years, I always come back to Redmine when given the
choice. I don't know why people even bother with Trac.

On the freebies list I'll throw out Unfuddle ( http://unfuddle.com/
). It is a nice service that provides SCM (git or svn) and issue
tracking for a single user. Of course there are paid options to add
more.

La la la,
-Dale

On Jan 10, 5:11 pm, Tim Klein <t...@kelpdesign.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I've been using redmine (http://www.redmine.org/) for our internal

Uncle Cheese

Jan 13, 2010, 2:00:03 PM1/13/10
to SilverStripe Development
Hey, Everyone,

Thanks for getting this discussion going. I have a Google Code project
page set up here:

http://code.google.com/p/dataobjectmanager/

What I'm wondering now is if we should migrate the repository
(currently on Beanstalk) to Google? I would hate to break the URL that
so many people are using right now, but it would also be a shame to
miss out on all of the benefits of having issue tracking and the
repository under the same roof. What does everyone think?

Oh, and how the heck do you migrate a repository, anyway?

UncleCheese

On Jan 11, 1:22 pm, dalesaurus <dale.lis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 more for Redmine.  One of the best general purpose code/project
> management suites, free or paid.  I have evaluated and used dozens of
> them over the years, I always come back to Redmine when given the
> choice.  I don't know why people even bother with Trac.
>

> On the freebies list I'll throw out Unfuddle (http://unfuddle.com/

Pete Bacon Darwin

Jan 13, 2010, 2:08:05 PM1/13/10
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Migrate, migrate!

Hey, Everyone,

http://code.google.com/p/dataobjectmanager/

UncleCheese

> > --
> > Tim Klein
> > Senior Developer
>
> > address: Level 1, 1 Searle lane, Queenstown
> > skype: kelptim
> > email: t...@kelpdesign.com
> > website:http://www.kelpdesign.com
> > phone: +64 3 409 2031
> > mobile: +64 21 234 35 78

07:35:00

Toby Champion

Jan 13, 2010, 2:11:33 PM1/13/10
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Aaron,

Maybe set up a bug tracking thing separately for now, as that's the
problem that your users want solving? Maybe you could just use Google
Code for this, with either no repository or just an empty one.

To migrate a repository, I think you either need to get a dump of the
SVN repository from Beanstalk, then upload that to Google Code if they
offer such a service, or use 'svnsync':
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1846050/google-code-svn-migration
(that article is about getting stuff OUT of Google Code though).

Toby

Pete Bacon Darwin

Jan 13, 2010, 3:20:42 PM1/13/10
to silverst...@googlegroups.com