Nestedurls is now in trunk! Next stop: 2.4.0-alpha1

Sam Minnee

Oct 10, 2009, 8:44:14 PM10/10/09
to SilverStripe Development
Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to announced that ajshort's nestedurls branch has been
merged back into trunk! This brings a much-anticipated feature,
hierarchical URLs, into SilverStripe. Thanks, ajshort, for the effort
that you have put into this development over the past few months.

The functionality is there, the tests pass, and we've updated the
default mysite/_config.php generated by the installer to include the
configuration option that enables it:

SiteTree::enable_nested_urls()

Link insertion will now insert a shortcode of the form [sitetree_link
id=###] that gets rewritten on page render.

We're going to be giving this functionality further manual testing
this week, after which we would like to release a 2.4.0-alpha1, which
will contain everything that has gone into trunk since 2.3.0 was
released.

Although there have been a large number of changes and it's difficult
to summarise them, a few of the notable features are:

* database abstraction
* hierachical URLs
* performance and memory usage improvements

Note that 2.4.0-alpha1 won't include the JavaScript rewrite that Ingo
has been working on, but that would likely go into an 2.4.0-alpha2.

I'd like to invite everyone who is interested to try out this new
functionality to either download the current trunk, or do stay tuned
for the 2.4.0-alpha1 release. In particular, it would be good to hear
how the currently trunk runs with your projects and modules.

When we release 2.4.0-alpha1 we'll put together a list of API changes
and an upgrading guide.

Morven Lewis-Everley

Oct 11, 2009, 6:37:46 AM10/11/09
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
This is BRILLIANT news!

I think my workload for the next week is quite low on the ground. I also have a couple of quite high functionality sites that I could try this out with.

Thanks so much for your work on this!

Mo

Sam Minnee

Oct 11, 2009, 6:46:37 AM10/11/09
to SilverStripe Development
Thanks for the offer, Morven! Are you familiar with checking out
subversion trunk onto your sites? If not, I'll try and hang around on
IRC to answer questions.

Thanks,
Sam

On Oct 11, 11:37 pm, Morven Lewis-Everley

Siddharth Menon

Oct 11, 2009, 7:10:42 AM10/11/09
to SilverStripe Development
Looking forward to test Alpha1. Hope the up gradation process has not
changes since previous.

Sigurd Magnusson

Oct 11, 2009, 4:27:01 PM10/11/09
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
That's great Sam! A huge thanks go out to Andrew Short for
contributing so much effort to the Nested URLs feature -- I know lots
of people want to use this.

I've know for a while that "Link insertion will now insert a shortcode

of the form [sitetree_link id=###] that gets rewritten on page

render." but can you let me know what happens to existing links that
reference URLs; does it remap them upon saving? Is their a site-wide
migration tool?

Cheers,
Sigurd Magnusson,
SilverStripe

blueskies79

Oct 12, 2009, 5:31:00 AM10/12/09
to SilverStripe Development
Whoa .. brilliant !

That'll make some of my clients very happy ! ;)

Will upgrade and test a few sites this week ....

Morven Lewis-Everley

Oct 12, 2009, 6:00:57 AM10/12/09
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sam,

All our projects use svn:externals to checkout core SS libraries and third party modules. So all I am guessing I would just need to switch from 2.3.3 to trunk? Or are tyou going to create an alpha tag?

Also, I would be interested to know what is going to happen about embedded links?

Cheers,

Mo

Andrew Short

Oct 12, 2009, 6:09:50 AM10/12/09
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Just as a quick note, I'm currently working on a build task that, when manually run, will rewrite all inserted plain HTML links which have a presence in the link tracking table with shortcodes. This is mostly done, but has a few quirks and needs testing. I'll post again when it's committed to trunk. I am also profiling and checking for any performance improvements that can be made.

Andrew Short

Andrew Short

Oct 14, 2009, 9:11:29 PM10/14/09
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

Just to let you know that a build task to migrate plain HTML links to shortcodes has been added to trunk in r88992. This will not be run automatically - it will need to be run manually using the task runner. When this is done it should migrate all HTML links with existing link tracking data, and give a report on how many links were rewritten. If you have any problems with it, please open a ticket or contact me.

Cheers,
Andrew Short