It's a Great Time To Start

Mick Liubinskas

Oct 19, 2008, 3:18:59 AM10/19/08
to Silicon Beach Australia
I wrote here;
http://www.pollenizer.com/?p=25

about my reasons why I really believe it's a great time to get
started.

1. You don't need a boom to grow.
2. Better access to great people.
3. A slump doesn't stop spending, and it increases in some areas.
4. There is still money available if you look hard, and you deserve
it.
5. The community is still here to support you.
6. The big guys cut back on R&D letting you do the innovating.

OK, tough if you've been going for two years and trying to get a
little more funding to break through, but if you're had two years and
you haven't grabbed traction, then you've only got yourself to blame.

Keen to hear everyone's thoughts about whether they agree or not.

Also, in case you've never heard me scream and yell about it. If
you're going to start, please, please, please, please, please, please,
please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please,
please, please, please be brutally, brutally, brutally, brutally,
brutally, brutally, brutally, brutally, brutally, brutally FOCUSED.

Thanks

P.S. No copy and paste was used in the authoring of this post.

Mick Liubinskas

Oct 19, 2008, 3:19:50 AM10/19/08
to Silicon Beach Australia

Suhit Anantula

Oct 19, 2008, 7:26:35 AM10/19/08
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Some wise words from Paul Graham:

The economic situation is apparently so grim that some experts fear we may be in for a stretch as bad as the mid seventies.

When Microsoft and Apple were founded.
If we've learned one thing from funding so many startups, it's that they succeed or fail based on the qualities of the founders. The economy has some effect, certainly, but as a predictor of success it's rounding error compared to the founders.
So maybe a recession is a good time to start a startup. It's hard to say whether advantages like lack of competition outweigh disadvantages like reluctant investors. But it doesn't matter much either way. It's the people that matter. And for a given set of people working on a given technology, the time to act is always now.

http://www.paulgraham.com/badeconomy.html

And from Rajesh Jain, a very successful entrepreneur and my previous boss from India.

For entrepreneurs, they need to forget about the craziness around and just focus on the business and market. The stuff that's happening has little or no impact on the business of most early stage companies — in most cases, their revenue base is too small to see any negative impact from "market conditions." So, any sales person giving market slowdown as a reason for not meeting targets needs to be given a talking to!

I also think this is a great time to get alternative / disruptive ideas to consumers and businesses. Everyone is much more receptive to  discussions about solutions which provide better RoI. (And without a simpler, cheaper solution, entrepreneurs don't really have much of a chance anyways.)

http://emergic.org/2008/10/17/vernture-craziness/

Cheers,
Suhit
--
Suhit Anantula

+61 (0) 433 681 501
www.technovus.com.au
www.twitter.com/technovus

www.worldisgreen.com
Yahoo/MSN/Skype ID  : suhit_a
www.linkedin.com/in/worldisgreen
www.twitter.com/worldisgreen

"The only way to predict the future is to create it" - Drucker