ShowMeDo monthly conference - Thurs 7pm (UTC+0) - all invited - note GIZMO5 not Skype

1 view

Ian Ozsvald

Mar 12, 2008, 4:10:20 PM3/12/08
to show...@googlegroups.com

Dear all, our next monthly conference runs tomorrow (Thursday) evening at 7pm uk time. Everyone is invited, it'll last about 1 hours, you're welcome to join and talk or just lurk. After we'll post a recording of the conversation.

In the last monthly conference we had a lot of trouble with Skype crashing - for this reason we will use a different package called gizmo5 (http://gizmo5.com/). Gizmo5 is a SIP voip client so if you already have a SIP system then you can just use that.

If you don't have a SIP system then you'll have to install gizmo5 - it works on Linux, Mac and Windows. Skype *cannot* be used for this chat (they use a proprietary protocol) and it can't talk to SIP phonecalls.

Dai, Lucas and myself used Gizmo5 this evening to talk for 30 minutes - we tested IM and recording too and it all worked fine. Dai was on Ubuntu, Lucas on Mac and I was on XP. Both Lucas and I installed our versions just before we started to talk and the install+signup took about 5 minutes.

If you want to participate tomorrow you'll need to be available at 7pm UK time (which is GMT/UTC+0) with a working SIP client (preferably Gizmo5 just to make things easy). For those in Europe it'll be 8pm CET.

To join the conference you'll dial '1-222-888-2222' which is a free SIP number. There is a text chat option, we were using the group 'showmedoconfchat' which we'll use again tomorrow night.

If you join gizmo you can find our user-ids:
dai777
ianATshowmedo
lucasholland
and 'friend' them. You don't need to have 'friended' us before to join the conf, all you need is the SIP number above.

Apparently you can call into the chat using 605 475 8515 which is a US number from a regular landline.

NOTE - On Ubuntu Dai had trouble if he ran Skype and Gizmo at the same time (Gizmo would crash). I suggest you don't run any other voip tools at the same time to avoid any problems. Lucas (Mac) and I (XP) didn't have any trouble running Skype and Gizmo at the same time but it doesn't hurt to be safe!

I'll post a reminder of these detail late tomorrow afternoon,
Ian

--
http://Services.ShowMeDo.com
http://ShowMeDo.com