Why use nosetests? To help you work "without any thought!"

marlow

Apr 7, 2008, 4:05:53 PM4/7/08
to ShowMeDo-Learners

I've been out of town & interrupted the lessons for a couple weeks and
forgot some basic stuff: in particular, why should I go to the trouble
of using the nose framework and putting tests in separate files
instead of in the module after "if __name__ "__main__": .....

I found helpful the explanation at the beginning of
"An Extended Introduction to the nose Unit Testing Framework" found at
http://ivory.idyll.org/articles/nose-intro.html#what-are-unit-tests

where C. Titus Brown explains it is so they "can be run quickly,
easily, and without any thought by developers." Anticipating the time
when one has lots of python modules & files in a project, this value
is easier to understand.

Ian Ozsvald

Apr 10, 2008, 7:25:22 PM4/10/08
to showmedo...@googlegroups.com
Hi marlow - Thanks for posting this. I hope you noticed that I linked to it in the last Monthly Update email I sent out, it is indeed a good article.

Cheers,
Ian.

--
http://Services.ShowMeDo.com