deprecate should_be_restful

Dan Croak

Sep 16, 2008, 11:58:34 AM9/16/08
to shoulda
I created a ticket to deprecate should_be_restful:

http://is.gd/2I4U

What's the reaction by the community?

Dan Croak

Kyle Banker

Sep 16, 2008, 12:04:06 PM9/16/08
to shoulda
I couldn't agree more. It simply doesn't gel with the spirit of BDD.

James Golick

Sep 16, 2008, 12:07:06 PM9/16/08
to sho...@googlegroups.com
I agree with your points, Dan, however, for those of us that use restful controller abstractions, I'm not sure they're relevant.

When you get your whole controller in one line, it makes sense to get your tests in a few lines too.

So, if this is removed, it'd be nice to push it out in to a separate gem, or something, for that purpose.

Dan Croak

Sep 16, 2008, 12:20:27 PM9/16/08
to sho...@googlegroups.com
I hear that, James. Is Sean Hussey lurking around anywhere? He came up with a fantastic name for macros that aren't in "shoulda core":

If he's amenable, perhaps the "woulda" gem would be a good home for should_be_restful.

Dan Croak

James Golick

Sep 16, 2008, 12:43:41 PM9/16/08
to sho...@googlegroups.com
I love it.

Tim Uckun

Sep 16, 2008, 7:19:17 PM9/16/08
to sho...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 4:07 AM, James Golick <james...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with your points, Dan, however, for those of us that use restful
> controller abstractions, I'm not sure they're relevant.
>
> When you get your whole controller in one line, it makes sense to get your
> tests in a few lines too.

I agree with this. It's fantastic to be able to test all your actions
in one line. I use it a lot and would be very sad if it went away
completely.