Teeline vs other systems

Yenovk Lazian

Jun 8, 2007, 5:54:46 AM6/8/07
to shortha...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sais37,

Wasn't it difficult to use two different systems? Didn't Pitman NE interfere with TLN?

Has TLN any disadvantages if compared to Gregg and Pitman?

Regards,

Teeliner

Journo

Jun 8, 2007, 11:57:52 AM6/8/07
to Shorthand World
I'd be interested to know the answer to this question too.

Journo

On Jun 8, 10:54 am, "Yenovk Lazian" <yenovklaz...@googlemail.com>

Sais37

Jun 11, 2007, 3:20:27 PM6/11/07
to Shorthand World
At the theory learning stage with NE I didn't really get the two
systems mixed up because they're so different - for example NE is
totally phonetic whereas Teeline on the whole is orthographic, not to
mention that the alphabets are so different. Also, because I've had
to become familiar with the theory of a number of shorthand systems
because of the speed class that I occasionally teach, learning another
one didn't pose too much of a problem. Whether that's because I'm
also a bit of a linguist I don't know - I just love language. The
challenge came at the speed building stage when I would occasionally
write a Teeline outline instead of a New Era one. Fortunately, I was
able to take 3 weeks off work as annual leave when I did my NE speed
building and did nothing but write NE shorthand for the whole of those
3 weeks, so I drummed the NE outlines into my brain. Because of the
need for members of the team I work with to be able to read each
other's notes, it was important as far as possible to develop writing
near-perfect NE outlines as our transcripts are used in Care
Proceedings by the Local Authority that I work for, and if any of us
is off sick or on leave when an urgent application is made to the
Court, then someone else needs to be able to transcribe the notes. The
other complicating factor is that I work in Cardiff, so sometimes I'm
having to take notes in Welsh as well as English - we have a bilingual
policy and if people wish to use Welsh they can and then we arrange
simultaneous translation into English for those people present who
can't speak Welsh. I have to be really careful to mark in the margin
which language I'm making notes in otherwise I spend ages trying to
make sense of something in English when I should be transcribing into
Welsh.

In terms of the advantages of Teeline over Pitman/Gregg, the most
obvious is that it takes much less time to learn Teeline than it does
the other two as it's a much less complicated system, although
admittedly the speed potential of Pitman NE and the old (Anniversary)
form of Gregg is higher. This means that you can start speed building
much sooner in Teeline than the other systems and this can be a boost
to a student's confidence and motivation. I have to say, if I were
going to learn a Pitman system, then I would choose New Era, not
Pitman 2000 personally. Pitman 2000 was designed initially only to
have a speed potential of 120 wpm, and then Pitman brought out the
Pitman 2000 Reporting Style textbook to introduce new theory and short
forms to take you beyond the 120 mark. As far as I'm concerned, given
that large numbers of Teeline writers reach 120 and above, of the two,
Teeline is much easier to learn. I feel that way a bit about
Simplified Gregg and certainly Series 90 Gregg, which is so longwinded
it's difficult to reach 100, let alone higher speeds.

I don't think there is one perfect system - there seem to be pluses
and minuses with each. The trick is to persevere. On average it
takes a student, whatever system s/he writes, about 10 hours solid
work to move another 10 wpm up the speed ladder.

That was a rather long-winded reply! Sorry about that folks...
Sais37

> > Teeliner- Hide quoted text -

CricketB

Jun 27, 2007, 3:27:34 PM6/27/07
to Shorthand World
I use Forkner, but I'm terribly slow. 45wpm if neat. Still better than
longhand, and no one can read it!

I'm trying to learn Gregg, but I don't recommend it. It's very hard to
transcribe even the stuff in the book. They encourage you to drop
sounds and words, so you have to read the entire sentence for context.
"One of the" is the same outline as "on the". A lot of the sound-
shapes are warped to get into the next shape. (B-e-t, the bottom of
the B looks a lot like an F or left-S) The line lengths are important,
but I've taken a ruler to samples in the text, and seen Ts that are
3mm and Ds that are 2mm. N/M/MM is even worse. Some lines that should
be straight have to bend to fit the outline, and some short curved
lines look awfully straight.

Sometimes the "letter" the a brief form uses is different. "Of" is "u"
in Gregg and "v" in Forkner.

Maybe I'll get a better Teeline book next. The one I have goes through
the alphabet and gives lists of words that use each letter. Not the
most useful words, either, and no sentences.

My question is:

If you learn one version of Gregg or Pitman, how difficult is it to
move to a different one? Are there conflicting rules, or just more
opportunities to reduce strokes? (Or omit so many strokes that it gets
even harder to read?) Is the answer different for the two systems? May
as well add Teeline to the question as well.

(I've seen a few versions of Forkner over the years, and it looks like
they use a few more shapes (or disjoin existing shapes) to reduce
strokes for multi-letter combinations.)

Cricket

CricketB

Jun 27, 2007, 3:28:46 PM6/27/07
to Shorthand World
One last question: How does Pitman New Basic Course, published by Cop
Clark Pitman in Toronto, rate?