RE: WOSC/ESC 2012 in Krakow

Pieter Stouten

Feb 5, 2012, 12:03:58 PM2/5/12
to SHOGI-L
Hello Shogi fans,

I would encourage everyone to attend the WOSC/ESC 2012 in Krakow. I have been in Krakow at least 5 times and love it. It's the most beautiful city in Poland and all of its historical splendour is carefully being restored. It's well worth spending an extra couple of days to visit e.g. Zakopane and the Wieliczka Salt Mine, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, with its astounding underground cathedral.

There are also quite a few low-cost airlines that serve Krakow or nearby Katowice.

Below you'll find some, admittedly not very recent, information about Krakow. Hope it helps you make up your mind.

All the best,

Pieter

Krakow, in southern Poland, offers an affordable alternative to other European capital cities. Teeming with art and architecture, historical artifacts, fine food, and nightlife, Krakow rewards its visitors with a value-packed experience. Tour an authentic castle and its dragon's lair, feast on pierogies and bigos, and visit ancient churches and synagogues, among other countless options in the greater metropolitan area.

Poland is still on the zloty, which is good news for American travelers wary of the euro. At press time, $1 USD gets you 2.80 zloty, which goes a long way in day-to-day expenses such as meals and transportation. Spring airfares from New York City start at $615, and a three-star downtown hotel can be booked from $59 per night. A week's vacation (airfare and accommodations) would cost $1,643 for two people traveling together.

Let's compare a Krakow vacation with a trip to Florence, another major European city known for art, architecture, and culinary delights. Flights from New York to Florence start at $820 in spring, and a three-star downtown hotel starts at $92 per night. Two people taking a week's vacation could expect to pay $2,284 for airfare [from the USA /PS] and accommodations—about $640 more than a comparable Krakow trip.

Then, consider how far the dollar goes in Poland compared to Italy (which is on the euro), and Krakow becomes an even more desirable destination. Meals in Krakow can be had for just a few dollars per day. In 2007, my friend and I often went out for dinner and typically spent in the range of $30 total for a multi-course meal, including drinks and gratuity. Pub food and more modest options can be purchased for even less. Additionally, the Krakow Tourist Card offers transportation and attraction admission on the cheap. Choose a two- or three-day pass for 45 zloty or 65 zloty ($15 or $23), respectively, and get unlimited travel on city buses and trams and free admission at up to 32 Krakow museums. If you didn't already consider Krakow a bargain, the tourist card adds even greater value.

Mar 4, 2012, 5:40:13 PM3/4/12
to SHOGI-L
We also started with registration for team tournament.
In each team should be 3 people, it can be more than one team from
each country.
It should be on Thursday from 10:00 till 13:00, 3 rounds 5min +30
sec.
If You would like to play in a team tournament just register on
www.shogi2012krakow.eu
BR Adrian

On 5 Lut, 18:03, Pieter Stouten <pieter.f.w.stou...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> Hello Shogi fans,
>
> I would encourage everyone to attend the WOSC/ESC 2012 in Krakow. I have
> been in Krakow at least 5 times and love it. It's the most beautiful city
> in Poland and all of its historical splendour is carefully being restored.
> It's well worth spending an extra couple of days to visit e.g.
> Zakopane<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zakopane>and the Wieliczka
> Salt Mine <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wieliczka_Salt_Mine>, a UNESCO
> World Heritage Site, with its astounding underground
> cathedral<http://www.kuriositas.com/2011/08/wieliczka-salt-mine-astounding.html>
> .
>
> There are also quite a few low-cost airlines that serve Krakow or nearby
> Katowice.
>
> Below you'll find some, admittedly not very recent, information about
> Krakow<http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-advice/six-places-you-never-thoug...>.
> Hope it helps you make up your mind.
>
>  All the best,
>
> Pieter
>
>  ------------------------------
>
> Krakow <http://www.krakow.pl/en/>, in southern Poland, offers an affordable
> alternative to other European capital cities. Teeming with art and
> architecture, historical artifacts, fine food, and nightlife, Krakow
> rewards its visitors with a value-packed experience. Tour an authentic
> castle <http://www.wawel.krakow.pl/en/index.php?op=2> and its dragon's
> lair<http://www.wawel.krakow.pl/en/index.php?op=11>,
> > Hi I would like to invite all of You onwww.shogi2012krakow.eu. The

Gergely Buglyo

Mar 5, 2012, 7:37:17 AM3/5/12
to sho...@googlegroups.com
Dear Adrian,

Thanks for starting registrations for the Team Championship. Theoretically, Hungary could set up multiple teams as I explained in the registration e-mail I sent to you, provided that the other countries agree to that. (We should ask other FESA representatives, as perhaps it isn't fair for a single country to have more than 1 team.)

Also, the time limits seem very short to me. I mean, if it feels bad enough to lose a short game because of a stupid mistake made in byo-yomi, it's even more so when teammates depend on you. :) With these time limits, I'm guessing that most players from Hungary will hesitate to register. Besides, I think 3 rounds are only enough if we have 4 teams altogether - each team should play with each one if we'd like a fair result.

I understand that the schedule on Thursday is very tight, which doesn't allow for a longer tournament. Is there any chance that you could organize the team event for Wednesday, perhaps? Then we could have more rounds with longer time limits, and I think most people are going to spend a full week in Krakow, anyway (it would be a shame to miss site-seeing because of time constaints). In case you agree to that as an organizer, we just need to hear what the other FESA representatives have to say.

Best regards:

Gergely

> Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 14:40:13 -0800
> Subject: Re: WOSC/ESC 2012 in Krakow
> From: adrian....@gmail.com
> To: sho...@googlegroups.com

Adrian Woloszyn

Mar 5, 2012, 8:05:20 AM3/5/12
to sho...@googlegroups.com
So the problem is that for now we only have voice from Austria and Hungary in this discussion.
I started with the registration and we can see how many people are interested to play in a team tournament.
Then as we have more concrete list, we can discuss the specific rules as time for thinking and no of rounds.
BR Adrian

I am afraid that if we would like to organize it on Wednesday then it would be less teams, as it is one extra night and one extra day needed. For now we do not have so much teams to start it on Wednesday.

Gergely Buglyo

Mar 5, 2012, 9:17:16 AM3/5/12
to sho...@googlegroups.com
Dear Adrian,

>I am afraid that if we would like to organize it on Wednesday then it would be less teams, as it is one extra night and one extra day needed. For now we do not have so much teams to start it on Wednesday.

That's true, if most people are travelling to Krakow for the tournament only. However, I expect that many people will stay there much longer, to see the sights - at least that's what we're going to do. But you're right, apart from us and you, only Austria has confirmed that they will take part with a team. So let's ask Thomas about their plans.

Best regards, and thanks for the quick reply:

Gergely

Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 14:05:20 +0100