[Shib-Users] Protecting Sharepoint with Shibboleth SP

Eitan Eibschutz

Feb 3, 2009, 11:44:00 PM2/3/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu
Hi,

Did anyone try to protect Sharepoint 2007 with Shibboleth SP? Is this possible?

Thanks,

Eitan

Caskey, Paul

Feb 4, 2009, 12:50:00 AM2/4/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu
You have to switch Sharepoint to forms-based authentication.  Then, you need a Sharepoint MembershipProvider that integrates with Shibb (write it or buy it).  However, using this method disables all of the webDAV functionality, like being able to save MS-Office files directly into Sharepoint.

I know of "Shibb'd Sharepoint" being done both with a product from CA and a product from 9StarResearch.

We are using the latter product for our federated Sharepoint installation.

There was a group that met a few times to discuss issues around federated Sharepoint, but the group is not currently meeting.  The archives, along with other perhaps useful information, is located here: https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/InCCollaborate/InC-SharePoint

Feb 4, 2009, 2:51:47 AM2/4/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu
Whether their marketing blurb indicates it or not, those problems are
going to be there. The issue isn't anything to do with Sharepoint
itself as much as it is that DAV clients don't support SAML.

--
SWITCH
Serving Swiss Universities

Peter Williams

Feb 4, 2009, 3:01:20 AM2/4/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu
Sure, but id still expect Microsoft-enhanced DAV to work as normal - as opposed to being disabled. IF one has an local account on the webdav server, webdav clients can still use the same mechanism they to today to access office file repositories. IN a federated directory environment (in a federated university MAN, like London), the very same two sites that are federating at the SAML level can be similarly federating at the activeDirectory level, so kerberos makes federated-named between the 2 ldap naming contexts (and their domain controllers).

Bucci, Debbie (NIH/CIT) [E]

Feb 4, 2009, 6:08:45 AM2/4/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu

CA – one here …essentially the same solution … Forms based auth - believe we got pass the webDAV issue by using ldap as membership provider for people picker functionality – but had to fall back to SharePoint provisioned groups.

Feb 4, 2009, 8:10:13 AM2/4/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu
Hi Debbie-

Thanks for that.  I would be curious to hear how you got around the webDAV issues with LDAP.  From my understanding, it is the office tools (MS-Word, etc) that open the files that do not understand SAML (or LDAP, for that matter).

Feb 4, 2009, 10:59:33 AM2/4/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu

For many, many years, Microsoft (web) server applications have created security contexts based on the presentation of NT tokens (which you can think of conceptually as SAML assertions tied to the Network Operating System). If the client has a token in a domain that uses one ldap namespace for authentication, active directory nodes can use Kerberos to translate the token from that directory into the token normally authenticated by another directory instance – the one bound to the server domain. Thus, by leveraging inter-forest trust (between namespaces), one can present a suitable inter-domain token to the reference monitor of the server host/cluster.

This is not advanced academic stuff!

Moni Patil

Feb 4, 2009, 11:48:54 AM2/4/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu

We are protecting Sharepoint 2007 with Shibboleth SP.

The implementation is pretty simple. You need to write your own Membership Provider and use FBA. This membership provider will handle all SP related headers and initiate a Sharepoint authentication. Also, use Lazy sessions.

You can enable it to work with WebDAV by writing a persistent cookie within Sharepoint. It is a simple configuration change in the web.config file.

Plus with the new Shibboleth 2.1 SP, you can even use it with 64bit installations of Sharepoint 2007.

Thanks,

Moni Patil
TNS

Caskey, Paul

Feb 4, 2009, 12:10:03 PM2/4/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu

>You can enable it to work with WebDAV by writing a persistent cookie within Sharepoint. It is a simple >configuration change in the web.config file.

I'm not a Sharepoint person at all, but I would be very interested in knowing about the change in web.config for writing a persistent cookie. Can you provide additional detail?

Thanks!

Moni Patil

Feb 4, 2009, 12:27:50 PM2/4/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu
You should be using FBA.

1. When you change the Authentication Providers, make sure you check the
"Enable Office Integration" box checked.

2. There are two steps of doing this:
a. In web.config:
<authentication mode="Forms">
<forms loginUrl="Default.aspx" cookieless="UseDeviceProfile"
timeout="480" name=".ASPXAUTH" protection="All">
</forms>
</authentication>

b. If you are writing your custom login code, then simply call
the FormsAuthentication.SetAuthCookie(username,
setPersistentCookieBoolean)
This will set a persistent cookie based on what you
specified in the above web.config entry. This step is optional.

Thanks,

Moni Patil
TNS

Feb 5, 2009, 1:28:01 AM2/5/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu

> 2. There are two steps of doing this:
> a. In web.config:
> <authentication mode="Forms">
> <forms loginUrl="Default.aspx" cookieless="UseDeviceProfile"
> timeout="480" name=".ASPXAUTH" protection="All">
> </forms>
> </authentication>
>

> b. If you are writing your custom login code, then
> simply call the FormsAuthentication.SetAuthCookie(username,
> setPersistentCookieBoolean)
> This will set a persistent cookie based on what
> you specified in the above web.config entry. This step is optional.

I don't control the login code, so I can't do (b.) above, only (a.) and, unfortunately, that did not fix the DAV stuff (being able to save an office file directly back into Sharepoint - File->Save is greyed out still).

Thanks for the info!

Moni Patil

Feb 5, 2009, 9:47:02 AM2/5/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu
I am not sure what your settings are. You may have to look into your
Membership Provider code or login code. It will be hard for me to tell
without understanding how your FBA implementation is laid out.

One thing you can validate is to look for the Sharepoint domain cookie
on your machine; this will tell you whether the cookie was indeed
persistent. If you don't see it, then it did not work and you may have
further testing/tweaks to perform before you can get it to work.

Also, make sure you have Office Integration enabled in the
Authentication Providers settings.

We are able to do Web Folders, Office 2003 integration, and Outlook
integration. Basically everything you would be able to do with NTLM
authentication. And everything is protected by Shibboleth while using
Forms-based authentication. The only caveat is that the Sharepoint login
cookie has to be valid for a long period, 8 hours in our case.

Thanks,

Moni Patil
TNS
Feb 5, 2009, 11:30:03 AM2/5/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu

We use Sharepoint groups that each user maps to. The users do have
actual AD principals, but we rely on the email address as the login id
for Sharepoint. So, the IdP has their principal name as the AD
principal, but Sharepoint uses the email address associated with that AD
principal.

Again, this should not matter when you use FBA. The source of
authentication can be anything and the login id can be anything you want
it to be.

I hope this answers your question.

Randy Wiemer

Feb 5, 2009, 12:10:01 PM2/5/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu
The part that is not clear to me is how the Office applications are able to
auth to Sharepoint with FBA.

I found the answer here:

http://simeonlobo.wordpress.com/2008/12/01/sharepoint-2007-forms-based-authentication-and-check-out/

Randy

Feb 5, 2009, 1:46:18 PM2/5/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu
You need a Sharepoint Services-compatible application and IE 6.0 or
above.