[Shib-Users] ResolverLDAPDataConnector Question

1 view

Patrick Markiewicz

Mar 23, 2009, 6:18:11 PM3/23/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu

Hi,

            I am having trouble understanding the FilterTemplate for the DataConnector.  I read here: https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/SHIB2/ResolverLDAPDataConnector about the requestContext.principalName.  I don’t understand what that is.  Is the requestContext an LDAP-specific variable?  Or is it a shibboleth-specific variable that gets replaced with something?  Thanks.

Patrick

Russell Beall

Mar 23, 2009, 6:36:03 PM3/23/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu
The context of a login request is part of the shibboleth code.  The requestContext.principalName is the part that is replaced by shibboleth when looking up attributes in LDAP.  It will become the value the user types into your "username" box on the login page.

Russ.

Brent Putman

Mar 23, 2009, 7:16:36 PM3/23/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu
To add to what Russ said:  In that data connector, requestContext is a Velocity template variable.  It provides a reference to the Java object that holds the state for the request currently being processed:

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/SHIB2/JavaTemplateEngine

It is the same object exposed by the Script attribute definition via a script variable with same name.  There is some more info on the bottom of that component's wiki doc page, with convenient links to the API if you care to know what info is in that profile request context object:

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/SHIB2/ResolverScriptAttributeDefinition

--Brent