[Shib-Users] odbc-store in shib2.1

Achugatla, Vijay K. (LNG-CON)

Jan 22, 2009, 11:27:17 AM1/22/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu

I am trying to implement the ODBC plugin provided with shibboleth 2.1. The odbc-store.cpp has table definitions strings and texts tables and the definition of these two is almost same. Any idea why it is defined in that way? Is there in guide that explains what each method in the odbc-store.cpp does?

Thanks,

Vijay

Scott Cantor

Jan 22, 2009, 11:37:02 AM1/22/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu
Achugatla, Vijay K. (LNG-CON) wrote on 2009-01-22:
> I am trying to implement the ODBC plugin provided with shibboleth 2.1.
> The odbc-store.cpp has table definitions strings and texts tables and
> the definition of these two is almost same. Any idea why it is defined
> in that way?

The storage API requires the ability to store both strings and longer text,
and the API is split so that the back-end can store them properly. The
in-memory plugin treats them the same, but the SQL version stores them with
the proper data type by using separate tables.

> Is there in guide that explains what each method in the odbc-store.cpp
does?

No, and that isn't necessary to use it unless you're running into race
conditions with locking on databases that have a different definition of
"serializable" than, say, everybody on the planet (yes, this means you
Oracle).

The DDL is in the wiki now anyway, so looking at the code is not really
necessary here unless you can't use a database with reasonable types.

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/SHIB2/NativeSPODBCStorageService

-- Scott