6 months UWH training program!

Gustavo Pesce

Dec 5, 2011, 10:45:08 AM12/5/11
to San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group
Hi Sea Lions - We have been discussing a plan to get into better shape
and to improve our game level, with the dual goals of sending a
competitive team to Nationals (DC, June 23-25 2012) and to increase
the hockey level in the club.

What we are trying to do is to provide a bit of push to get people to
hit the pool more often. Working with others can make people wake up
one day at 5:30 or miss the lunch break to recover a lost workout to
avoid getting behind in the group.

In its current form the plan is to sign up a group of people committed
to train and do exercises (puck, weights, cardio) on their own time
and also in coordinated workout sessions. The group would coordinate
the workouts by email, posting their times and results and receiving
feedback from a coach (Sean). This works well for the UWH National
teams.

Sean will be the coach and mentor of the group. Sean has a lot of
experience coaching and organizing team workouts and skill development
at the highest levels, it's great that we have him and that he is
willing to work for us.

The plan includes things that are already going on, like the "Fitness
Training Course for UWH" that Sean is organizing, and Saturday
clinics.

The key additional requirement is a commitment to 2 weekly pool
workouts with fins for the next 6 months.

There is a catch and an incentive: We will only start the program if
at least 10 players commit to complete it AND to go to Nationals. To
count as a "committed participant" a player has to pay $50 now towards
National expenses. If they complete the program the club puts another
$50 for their National expenses, if they do not complete it they
forfeit their $50 (see details about $ below).

If we get to 10 committed players we will start it and any additional
number of "less committed" players can participate.

Regardless of what happens with this plan, we will designate Sean to
select and coach the Sea Lions team(s) for Nationals 2012.

Participation and completion of the training program is not required
to play in the SF team in Nationals, and it is not sufficient either.
Selection of the team is independent of the program.

A detailed version of the training plan and the requirements for
completion below.

This is a draft of an experiment, this is the time to tweak it to suit
the group needs. We should get it in final form before Jan 1. What do
you guys think? Can you dedicate the time to do this? Would you like
to do it differently? Let us now! Email or call any of us, or find us
at the pool after practice.

Send feedback or commitments soon! We need to decide before the end of the year.

Cheers,

Gus, Tom, Roxanne, Sean

1. Requirements for the training program are:
Starting in Jan and all the way to the June 23-25 tournament:

- Do pool workouts, with fins, 2 x week (preferably one of them on
Mondays before practice)
- Attend hockey practice 1 x week (at King, YMCA, SJ or SM)
- Participate in 3 Saturday clinics. We will host them in January,
March and May. 3-4 hours long, open to all players.
- Either participate in 8-week dry land group exercise program hosted
by professional guy (~$100) or do alternative workouts on your own as
instructed by Sean.
- Continue working out after the 8-week program is over, to build
strength and other conditioning.
- Do dry land puck handling exercises (it takes 5 minutes per day).
- Do cardio conditioning (running, biking or swimming)
- Undertake fitness and skills evaluations and show improvements on
them. Also in January, March and May, on Mondays, at 6:45. Open to all
players. First evaluation: January 9 2012.

2. To complete the program participants need to do a minimum of 75% of
the workouts and practices, plus attend 2 of the 3 clinics and show
improvement in the fitness and skills test.
3. Sean will decide on exceptions in case of work conflicts, injuries,
travel or other issues that get in the way of the workouts, practices,
clinics and fitness/skills test. He may organize complementary
exercises or rescheduling.
4. Sean will be the sole judge to determine if a participant deserves
a "completed" qualification.
5. Participation in the training program is not required nor is
sufficient to be selected for the Sea Lions team for Nationals 2012.
6. We will only get the training program started if a minimum of 10
players commits to participate through the end and to go to Nationals.
7. Commitment requires paying $50 now.
8. Players that complete the training program and go to Nationals (in
the SF team if they are picked, in any team if they are not) will have
earned an additional $50 towards their registration expenses ($100
total). Participants that pay the $50, complete the program and do not
go to Nationals can use their $50 (no additional) at any tournament
before Jan 31 2013 (after Denver and Milwaukee tourneys). Players that
do not complete the program will forfeit their $50.
9. All players can join in at any level of commitment, going to
Nationals or not, it is a goal of the program to get as many people
engaged to some extent. We will need though 10 committed players as
defined above to get it started.

John Pollard

Dec 5, 2011, 10:52:22 AM12/5/11
to Gustavo Pesce, San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group, Sean Avent
I'm in, probably not good enough for Nationals, but I'm committed to
working out.

Best,

John Pollard

The Pollard Group
1760 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA  94103
Office 415.692.0612
Cell 415.602.0077
Fax 415.276.4515
www.thepollardgroup.net (under construction)

Cheers,

Gus, Tom, Roxanne, Sean

John Wagner

Dec 5, 2011, 11:24:58 AM12/5/11
to John Pollard, Gustavo Pesce, San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group, Sean Avent
Sounds fun! I'm in too.

John W

"José H. Espinosa"

Dec 5, 2011, 11:59:44 AM12/5/11
to San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group
Sounds fun, I'm in!

Are we going to have a workout today before practice?

Jose

Gustavo Pesce

Dec 5, 2011, 1:37:16 PM12/5/11
to José H. Espinosa, San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group
Hi there - OK, so I will start counting heads. I am counting now John
P., John W. and José as committed, including $50 and committed to go
to Nationals.

John P.: You will be an ace when you complete the program! We will
most likely need you for Nationals. And in any case, there are a lot
of levels at Nationals, everybody participates, this year we had a
second team that won silver in the B division and had a blast.

Someone asked, so I am clarifying this: 1-the program is independent
of team selection for Nationals. 2-We need 10 people committed to
start it. Commitment includes both commitment to go to Nationals and
commitments to do the workouts, and paying $50. Other levels of
commitments are all encouraged, but will not count to the 10 we need
to get going.

Ask if still confused!

Gus

Tom Brown

Dec 5, 2011, 2:33:06 PM12/5/11
On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Gustavo Pesce <gpe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi there - OK, so I will start counting heads. I am counting now John
P., John W. and José as committed, including $50 and committed to go
to Nationals.
+Tom

there are a lot
of levels at Nationals, everybody participates, this year we had a
second team that won silver in the B division and had a blast.
Raise your hand if you think we can place higher in the standing than nationals and PCCs 2011. Keep them raised if you are going to get your butt (and legs and lungs) in shape to help make it happen. 2 fin workouts per week isn't a huge amount of time but should make a big difference to your fitness.

Natalia Silva

Dec 5, 2011, 3:05:37 PM12/5/11
to Tom Brown, Gustavo Pesce, San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group
Count me in!!
I'm loving it!!
Two things though, I can't pay the $50 now, but I will in January. The other is that I have a class for two months next semester (march-jun) would that be a problem? I promise I'll do the work out on my own!

Sent from my iPhone

Kristof Hovaten

Dec 7, 2011, 10:13:28 PM12/7/11
to Natalia Silva, Tom Brown, Gustavo Pesce, San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group
Sounds like a blast. I'm not so sure about nationals but would love to
improve my game.

Gustavo Pesce

Dec 9, 2011, 2:59:26 PM12/9/11
to San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group
Hi Sea Lions - I summed up below the responses I got so far. I sort
out what you wanted from your emails, let me know if I got you wrong.

We have 7 players committed to complete program AND got to Nationals.
We need to get to 10 to get started. C'mon guys and gals, send your
commitments!

Remember that if you go to Nationals, there will be a team for you no
matter what level you are at.

We can add any number of additional players that want to participate
but are unsure about Nationals or not going. As long as we get 10 in
the category above.

Cheers,

Gus
Committed to
# Name Complete Nationals pay $50
1 John Pollard yes yes yes
2 Jason Zvanut yes yes yes
3 John Wagner yes yes yes
4 José Espinosa yes yes yes
5 Tom Brown yes yes yes
6 Natalia Silva yes yes yes
7 Gustavo Pesce yes yes yes
Participants with less commitment
1 Kirstof Hovaten yes unsure no

Jarod Holtz

Dec 9, 2011, 4:03:03 PM12/9/11
to Gustavo Pesce, San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group
Sea Lions~

I badly want to commit to the program but there is just no way I can do it until March-ish as I'm already a bit overextended. That said, I'll be certain to join you in training for the duration and through Nationals as soon as I can.

There is nothing like the feeling of being in the best shape of your life--or at least the last five years. It seems to pay off mentally, physically, etc.

Enjoy the weather.

jarod

Gustavo Pesce

Dec 10, 2011, 12:45:01 PM12/10/11
to Jarod Holtz, San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group
Hi there - @Kristof - Good that you asked that question, as it wasn't
so clear. Short answer is no.

The requirement is to commit 100% for Nationals at this point, and pay
the $50 if you are committed. The option to use the $50 for later
tournaments is in case something unanticipated (injury, loss of job,
etc) gets in the way later.

We didn't include an option for the "not committed now" participants
to pay $50, but we would take them as voluntary displays of commitment
to the program and to playing with the team at some point.

@Jarod - Yes, overextended you must be, we miss you at practice! We
look forward you joining in. Again, you and anyone can play in the SF
team without being part of this program. Team selection is independent
of the program.

So folks, we have only 7, we need three more before 12/31. Anyone else?

Gus

Carolyn Erdman

Dec 10, 2011, 3:19:34 PM12/10/11
to Gustavo pesce, San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group
Hi all,

I sorry I have been quiet on the training thing, but I just got back from a weekend of High Performance UWH.
It was in Milwaukee, WI. It was awesome. so much hockey that everyone was tired! great hockey! I will post the vids that Yohei took on the final day.
It was high level hockey, and if you want to go next time and you get the chance you should.

BUT you need to train.

The 6 months plan is a bare min of what we need to get a national team to DC.

Do we not have 12 people who want to go? Can you not commit 6 months out to a nationals?

I am in for the training, but I am not keen on going to Nationals to lose every game like at PCCs.
I have a great time playing with all of you, but one bad tournament is enough.
I think only Manny trained for it; sorry to say I didn't. SO let's all get going for Nationals!!

Stephen Akridge

Dec 10, 2011, 4:13:57 PM12/10/11
to Gustavo Pesce, Jarod Holtz, San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group
Hi,

Elisa and I are in. We'll probably do 1 King + 1 YMCA or SJ practices
a week. I'm committed to dragging Elisa to the pool a couple times a
week. :-)

Stephen

Gustavo Pesce

Dec 10, 2011, 5:46:46 PM12/10/11
to Elisa Rossi, Carolyn Erdman, San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group
Yay. I am taking down 3 more as yes-yes-yes in the list below. We got
10! I think there are more coming...

Program starts in January. First fitness test is on Monday Jan 9 6:45
water time. Sean will say what, if anything, to before that.

Gus

Committed to email
# Name Complete Nationals pay $50 date
1 John Pollard yes yes yes 12/5/2011
2 Jason Zvanut yes yes yes 12/5/2011
3 John Wagner yes yes yes 12/5/2011
4 José Espinosa yes yes yes 12/5/2011
5 Tom Brown yes yes yes 12/5/2011
6 Natalia Silva yes yes yes 12/5/2011
7 Gustavo Pesce yes yes yes NA
8 Carolyn Erdman yes yes yes 12/10/2011
9 Elisa Rossi yes yes yes 12/10/2011
10 Stephen Akridge yes yes yes 12/10/2011
Participants with less commitment

1 Kirstof Hovaten yes unsure no 12/7/2011

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Elisa Rossi <elisa...@me.com> wrote:
> Hey team!
>
> Stephen and I are in and he's committed to getting my ass in the pool twice
> a week :)
>
> It'll probably be 1 King + 1 Y or 1 SJ + 1 Y for us
>
> When do we start?
>

> Elisa

Elisa Rossi

Dec 10, 2011, 5:51:27 PM12/10/11
to Gustavo Pesce, Carolyn Erdman, San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group
Team is looking awesome :)

Roxanne Rust

Dec 10, 2011, 6:00:13 PM12/10/11
to Gustavo Pesce, San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group
I'm in.

Rox

Elaine

Dec 11, 2011, 11:17:42 AM12/11/11
to Roxanne Rust, Gustavo Pesce, San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group
I'm in too

Gustavo Pesce

Dec 12, 2011, 11:48:41 AM12/12/11
to Elaine, Roxanne Rust, San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group
more yay! Updated list below.

Committed to

# Name Complete Nationals pay $50

1 John Pollard yes yes yes