SFUWH Beep Test Results

Sean Avent

Jan 10, 2012, 3:42:26 PM1/10/12
to San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group, Clubpuck

The beep test helps to understand where a underwater hockey player is in terms of his/her personal fitness and swimming skill. Each 25y length is swum half over and half under. At the start of each length a whistle is blown.  The test starts out at intervals of 30secs for completion of each length including rest time. Time intervals decrease as test continues. Swimmers have to work harder, with less rest until too fatigued to continue. If you surface before the end wall, that is your final length. A swimmers score is the total number of completed lengths without missing start of next length.

As we continue to get workouts in at SF, your scores should increase significantly. Ideally, everyone on the Nationals team should be doing better than 20 with the top 6 players all doing 27

Benchmark Scores:
Top Men’s Score = 37
Top Women’s Score = 33
World Class Men in condition >30
World Class Men in condition >27
New players should aim for > 20

Here are the beep test results for last night (number laps completed successfully):

JZ: 18
RW: 18
MR: 9
JG: 9
KH: 10
NS: 10
TS: 13; 23
YH: 15
TB: 21
JW: 23
SA: 24+

Sean

Sean Avent

Jan 10, 2012, 8:09:53 PM1/10/12
to San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group, Clubpuck
As a followup, there have been more people wanting to do the beep test.  I plan on running it again on Thursday, Jan 19th at at MLK if all goes well. I would have done next Monday, but the pool is closed for MLK Day. Anyone who wants to improve their score is welcome to do it again as well.

For those interested, here's a Beep Test Schedule:

I also ought to credit the NZ peeps with coming up with this.  It's quite useful.

Sean

Joseph Grandov

Jan 10, 2012, 8:52:25 PM1/10/12
to clubpuck 'clubpuck@yahoogroups.com', SF Hockey
Sean,
I was at the pool last Thursday at 7:30 (yeah, me, early) to do your workout, but it seemed that almost the whole pool was bing used by waterpolo. Isn't that the case every Thursday, where we don't have any pool time till 8pm? Us early birds want to know.
Joey-San

To: sf...@googlegroups.com
CC: club...@yahoogroups.com
From: sean...@gmail.com
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 17:09:53 -0800
Subject: [clubpuck] Re: SFUWH Beep Test Results

elisa

Jan 11, 2012, 12:04:06 AM1/11/12
to San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group

On Jan 10, 2012, at 8:42 PM, Doug Roth wrote:

Can someone forward this to the SF group...

This test is also about relaxation and keeping your breathing under control. For those that were under 10 just slow down and relax for the first 8 or so and you will see good improvement in a short period of time. And this that were over can see improvement as well but possibly not as quickly. The early part of breath control improvement has a big curve so relax and watch it get easier to get to the harder ones.

Sent directly from my brain

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

Manny Rodriguez

Jan 11, 2012, 11:07:29 AM1/11/12
to Sean Avent, San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group, Clubpuck
I would like to continue to do this, being I was on the bottom of the list with a BIG 9.

Thanks,
Manny

Manuel Rodriguez | Assistant Superintendent

CAHILL CONTRACTORS, INC.

MRodr...@Cahill-sf.com

(415) 517-4828

cid:image001.jpg@01CACB3A.A61535B0

image005.jpg

Sean Avent

Jan 11, 2012, 2:02:59 PM1/11/12
to San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group
Doug Roth has some great input here.  The more you now how to take a test, the better you become at taking that test.  Unfortunately that makes a test subject to both experience in the test and fitness level.  But the test is still good for a benchmark. Once you get to know how to complete the test (breath control, correct pacing, etc), then ideally the improvements are only on a fitness level.

Take for example Terje:  He took the test twice on Monday and scored a 13 the first time and a 23 the second time. Obviously  he didn't get more fit in the 20 minutes between the tests.

Sean

Jan 11, 2012, 2:08:44 PM1/11/12
to Joseph Grandov, San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group
Hi Joey and all -

Thursdays are limited with regard to workouts as water polo does precede UWH and we are not supposed to get in prior to 8pm and then it's only in the shallow portion:

So the Thursday after next (Jan 19th) I'll do the beep test again and we'll have to wait until 8:30 after the water polo peeps get out. This means everyone should be there at 7:45, get in the shallow end at 8 to warm up, and we'll start the beep test as soon as we can after 8:30.  It should only last 7 minutes or so.

From the web site:
Thursday nights 8-9:55 Warm up in the shallow end starting 8pm (don't go behind the water polo game). We get the entire pool and start our game at 8:30.

Sean