20+ cheers Re: [SFRandon] Three cheers for the volunteers on the Fort Bragg 600km

Richard McCaw

May 25, 2010, 1:19:45 PM5/25/10
to SF Randonneurs
Just a quick note to let everyone know the names of the 20+ volunteers
that were on the scene and behind the scenes before, during and after
the 600 km brevet. We are very fortunate to have so many volunteer
their time to ensure an event of this size is completed successfully.

RBA -- Rob Hawks – Dimmick permit, Brevet cards processing, etc, etc, etc
Event on call contact – Jim Gourgoutis (relayed updates to start/
finish controls)
Start Control Checkin - Mark Gunther and Ely Rodriguez
Bicycle equipment, lighting and reflective gear inspection - Bruce Berg
Drop Gear pickup and return - Thomas Haggerty
Dimmick Oasis – Bruce Berg, Jack Holmgren, Thomas Haggerty, Alayne Haggerty
Finish Control - Mark Engebretson, Tim Houck, Heath Allen, Scott
Brittle, Sterling Hada, Gintautas Budvytis, Jason Pierce, Ken
Holloway, Todd Teachout
Finish Control Food - Mark Engebretson
Website updates - Carlos Duque
Route sheet – Greg Merritt
Google Mail list admin – Jim Gourgoutis
Volunteer coordinator – Richard McCaw

BTW – we do need a few volunteers for June 12th and July 17th –
reservations now being taken!

Richard McCaw SFR Volunteer coordinator

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Rob Hawks <rob....@gmail.com> wrote:
> As a rider on the recently finished 600km, I was so happy to have the
> support of all the great volunteers. That was fabulous, thank you! It's hard
> to think of the ride without the support of the Dimmick crew too. A campfire
> with a half dozen riders, cup of soup in hand and hot tea waiting, and super
> cheerful volunteers. This was priceless!
>
> rob hawks
>
> --

Richard McCaw
Cell: 408-838-9863
Home: 408-448-2899

LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/mccaw

Keith Beato

May 25, 2010, 6:56:51 PM5/25/10
to richar...@gmail.com, SF Randonneurs
Many thanks to the organizers and volunteers for this year's SF 600k.  In keeping with tradition of the SF Brevet Series, our group experienced some ceremonial rain drops following the descent into Yorkville during the outbound leg. We were passed by Dimmick Marshall Two Time PBP Ancien Bruce B. while enroute to Dimmick which provided peace of mind if the rain continued, we would have snacks hot food and a warm fire. No doubt some riders might actually choose rain with outbound and inbound tailwinds (2007) over this year's headwinds and freezing night temperatures.  Regardless of the weather, the positive spirit and lengenday kindness of Jack H., Bruce B., et al. at Dimmick makes the SF 600k and easy choice for this Randonneur despite the challenging course.

Angry Dog encounter:
Cloverdale outbound: Just after Yorkville on a moderate climb an angry barking dog darted across the street and chased Carlos and Rich M. to the summit looking ready to attack at any moment. For some reason the dog backed off and went back across the street and only barked at me rather cross and chase. It must have been my slower climbing speed! I'm curious if other riders experienced this dog. Maybe Carlos and Rich tired the dog.

Bigger Dog encounter:
Immediately following the slow freezing descent at around 2:00AM into Cloverdale I needed to get warm fast despite my previously proven warmest-to-lowest weight layering system (Craft Zero base layer, Wabi Woolen Long Sleeve Jersey, SF Radonneur Voler Vest, and Goretex OX2 jacket).  Desperately seeking heat, I wandered inside (with my bike) into the Cloverdale Mini Mart (I can't recall the name - first open store on right) and ordered one of those sweaty looking hot dogs spinning on the heated metal rollers. For a moment I thought of warming my face and hands on the rollers but instead grabbed the Big Kuhunna Dog...or Big Something Dog? hoping to quench my thirst for heat and calories in the most efficient time possible. As I took my first bite, I experienced a sudden hot sensation running down my chin. Tired and cold I continued to wolf down the rest of the Big Dog in record time. Looking at my watch I noticed some sort of...yellow stuff...Cheese...Whiz...all over my gloves. I looked in a mirror and noticed I had suddenly grown a Cheese Whiz Goatee. Meanwhile the clerk was frantically searching for napkins but couldnt produce 1 single napkin let alone a glass of Champagne and Hot Chili, Soup and warm Fire. Thanks again Jack, Bruce, Tom, and Alayne. Every time I stop at Dimmick I never want to leave!

Feedback 2010 600k:
(6:00am start time):
I believe this start time provides better sleep/control time management options in dry weather assuming most riders attempt to complete at least 400k without sleep (IMHO necessary sleep deprivation training for PBP).  I appreciated the added control options (Peet's on Petaluma) and Pt Reyes Station on the return. I also believe the Marshall Store should and could still be an option for the final control.

Recalling the 2007 rain soaked 600k, the 9:00am start worked well for drying off at Fort Brag and/or Dimmick. Maybe Todd chose that start time to help us prepare for more night riding since it was a PBP qualifying year. Once again, in that year the stop at Dimmick hosted by Jack H. and Bruce B. saved many riders from hypothermia.  That year's 9:00am start influenced many riders including myself to sleep at Ft. Bragg making the Cloverdale control closing time cutoff at little more challenging.

Peter, Bob B., Vidas, Carlos, Rich, Masa, Geoff, & Ernesto it was a pleasure sprinting with you guys for the City limit signs during the outbound leg. Peter clearly dropped the hammer w/Bob chasing out of Cloverdale after the last sprint!

Craig/Lori - Thanks again for the great company and draft from Ft. Bragg to Cloverdale. I found a room at the Cloverdale Oak Inn for $65 checking in a little after 2:00am. Woke up and ate a nice breakfast in Cloverdale and left at little after 8am enjoying the warming temperatures and tailwinds plus Clam Chowder at the Marshall store.

Charlie, Joseph M., Gabe, Bryan, it was great chatting/riding with you guys at and in betweent the controls!

Keith

May 25, 2010, 8:56:05 PM5/25/10
to SF Randonneurs
Another excellent SFR event!  I tagged along with the Jon, Gabe, Bryan trio for a majority of the ride.

Several classic rando moments:

- Sitting around a campfire in near freezing conditions with a wonderful volunteer staff attending to our needs.  I really didn't want to leave, but after an hour or so I think it was Bruce who gave me that nudge to keep moving and leave with the next group.  Sometimes you need that encouragement to get up and face the next leg of cold night riding.
- Next was riding by the Booneville post office around 3AM and seeing what looked like about 6-8 randonneurs sleeping.  This just after waking from a 1 hour sleep in the Philo post office with Joseph and John C.
- Waiting outside McDonalds in Cloverdale in the wind and cold at 6:30AM for 30 minutes starving with 5-6 other randonneurs waiting for them to open at 7:00 so we could all scarf down the Big Breakfast with HotCakes.

--
Aaron