Hopland 400K Report (better late than never)

Jeremiah

Apr 25, 2013, 3:15:07 PM4/25/13
to sfra...@googlegroups.com
Thought I would share my Hopland Recap --

Just Riding A Bike
Hopland 400K

I grew up riding a bike – to the park, down the hill, over the rocks …  and yet, I never considered myself a cyclist.  Rather, I was just riding my bike.  For transportation, for fun, never gave it much thought.  My formal encounter with cyclists and cycling came many years later when I moved to San Francisco in 1999.  I was working full time and going to school at night.  After class one "warm" summer evening, I stopped by my friend’s apartment to watch a stage of the Tour de France.  I cannot tell you who won the stage but that didn’t matter.  We drank red wine and ate stinky cheese; we laughed and yelled at the TV.  Years later, my knees fatigued from too many runs and needed a change of pace.  In 2006 I bought my first adult bicycle – like the ones that those cyclists rode.

It was great.  Everyday I wanted to go a little farther, a little faster.  I worked up my mileage (and my wine consumption!) until I was ready for some serious cycling.  I recall one weekend setting off for Alpine Damn/Seven Sisters and not quite sure if I could make it.  I did with the help of the small chain ring (I had a triple chain ring at the time) to climb out of Sausalito.  I returned exhausted, plopped down in the back yard and polished off a bottle of rose.   That was my first long ride, and you couldn’t wipe the smile off my face.  I searched for greater adventures – Grasshopper Series, LRLR, Bianca Strada and the Tourmalet!  I am happy to add the Hopland 400K to my most recent riding adventure and I am pleased to report that I am still smiling.

Hopland 400 K recap:  I knew going into it that I am in better shape than the average, but I have never had ridden that far before.  The farthest I had previously ridden was 200k.  I was again going into the unknown and I was a tad nervous. I emailed RBA Rob, needing some official confirmation that I up to the task at hand.  He assured me that I was.  Still, I was hesitant.  Aside from being fit, I have a good mental attitude about suffering on a bike and it wasn’t like I was leaving civilization.  I had some cash & credit card and worse case scenario I sit outside a gas station or side of the road eating the PB&Nutella sandwiches I packed.  That wouldn't be so bad.  So with that said, I signed up, woke up and started riding my bike.

I felt good on the bike and am proud of my time.  As I indicated, I was a little worry about the distance, so I found myself trying to train the month before. On my lunch break I went to the gym and rode the stationary bike for 45 minutes.  On my return commute I would take the long way home along the Embarcadero, Crissy Field and up over the Presidio.  This is 50 minute ride can be exhausting especially fighting headwind with a loaded steel basket up front and an empty co-pilot in the rear.  My surly has a 44 chain ring and 11-32 in the back so I have a good range of gears and the views across the bay are great.  This is my normal ride during the week and I get about 50 miles in on the weekend.

While being physically able to complete a ride of this length is required, I think the best thing to take away from this experience is that your mental approach is key to a good ride (both in enjoyment and time).  There have been a few times when I have been hot, lost, exhausted and not happy on my bicycle.  But a positive mental attitude has always carried me through.  On this ride, between miles 95-130 was the toughest.  Headwind and hills required more effort but the good company and views kept me focused.  Another 10 miles ..another 7 miles ... another 3 miles ... just over the next bump ... and then a cookie awaits!  Leaving the city to ride through pastures and ranches to get to vineyards.  How amazing!  Over hills and through a forest of Spanish moss.  Cool.  Roadside food stops, rocky creek beds, more vineyards and then a vast expanse of suburbs.  This ride provided my imagination with much fodder.  What lives behind that rock?  Are there fish in that creek?  How old is that cow?  How does this store survive?  Why is that lady throwing up?   On some rides I will stop to find out the answers, but on this ride my mantra was to just keep going.  And I did.  I just rode my bike.

Some Notes/Tips/Takeaway:

Happy with tire choice – 32 Gatorskins.  I purchased and rode Grand Bois the weekend before and rode to Petaluma and back to scope out the roads, and wouldn’t you know it I had a flat.  Yes, they do ride great and feel awesome, but I am glad I did not have to deal with a flat, nor be anxious about flats during my ride.  Anyone want to purchase a set of GB Cypress – ridden 90 miles with just one flat?

I felt good on the bike which was important.  I ate and drank regularly and didn’t bonk. I finished stronger than I thought and felt stronger than on the 200K.  I broke the ride up into segments – get to Cloverdale, get to Hopland, get to Petaluma, then get home.

Finish Control.  I should have gone to the car after finishing, changed and then came back to hang out/eat/drink.  The beer/noodles/hot coco was awesome, but I got cold and in 30 minutes needed to go. I could have stayed longer to chat/hang out if I warmed up first I think.

Descent of Camino Alto – be careful of that one at night.

Food, I ended up packing too much because I bought food at the controls rather than eating what I brought.  Perhaps I should limit my purchases, but the avocado, turkey, cheddar, bacon sandwich at Hopland was sooooooooo good.  Should have had a beer.  Happy with chocolate covered espresso beans.  Hot soup at Safeway in Petaluma was good choice.  Probably in the future will pack the same amount (four different PB, Nutella, banana, jelly combo sandwiches, a banana, a bar, and chocolate covered espresso beans) for back up.  Just because I had a good ride this time, next time I could need more fuel/help.  First time drinking chocolate milk during ride, won't be the last.

I’m still not sure I got the “rando” experience.  Although I rode at night, I was not sleep deprived.  Rather, for me the 400 felt more like a long ride.  The scenery, and destinations kept me going.  It was a little quite at times in our group and in my head, and I imagine there were some moments of introspection from me and my fellow group riders.

My goal was to stay with the front group.  I slowed it down a couple of times, and that was good.  For example - I did not go with John on Chileno Valley Headwind Road, and later on at Safeway we talked about how was all out there alone combating the winds.  Do not be alone in Evil Headwinds if you can help it.

I am definitely looking forward to more rando fun, riding my bike, riding farther.  I especially looking forward to the SFR Adventure Series, the Golden Gate 1000, trying a tandem with my 4 year old daughter, joining a Fleche team.

Finally,
Thanks to all for the advice and camaraderie along the route – especially Robert, Jason, William, Jesse.  All helped me ride well, and have a good time.

Jeremiah

C. Duque

Apr 25, 2013, 4:28:55 PM4/25/13
to Jeremiah Johnson, San Francisco Randonneurs
Hey Jeremiah, thanks for the report, I liked your name in the results table to it.

You should contact Brian K. I think he is trying to put together a team of adult/child (tandems) for the upcoming Dart http://www.sfrandonneurs.org/dart.htm. No idea if he is still looking for team members or not but it sounds like a great idea to me. I can't remember if you meet Brian when you did LRLR a few years back. Anyhow here is Brian's post:

I also mix cycling and wine but lately have been drinking a little less because I was getting cramps on almost every ride over 70 miles if I drank a few glasses on the days before a ride. Beer seems to be ok :)  I had one at the Hopland control and it went down nicely.

Carlos

This message is from the San Francisco Randonneurs list at sfra...@googlegroups.com
Search the archives at http://groups.google.com/group/sfrandon
For SFR's schedule and general information, visit http://sfrandonneurs.org/

C. Duque

Apr 25, 2013, 4:40:30 PM4/25/13
to Jeremiah Johnson, San Francisco Randonneurs
That should be "I linked you name..."  oh yes and the link: http://www.sfrandonneurs.org/results.htm
Carlos