some Two Rock 200k finish control snapshots

Greg Merritt

Feb 6, 2010, 11:09:13 PM2/6/10
to San Francisco Randonneurs
I took some pictures between roughly 16:15 and 18:00 today in between
checking folks in at the Two Rock 200k today:

http://home.nannynannybooboo.com/bike/20100206_sfr_two_rock_finish/

Short story from many of the riders: a nice day out after a rainy
start. I'm looking forward to ride reports!

-Greg

Philip Morton

Feb 7, 2010, 5:49:13 AM2/7/10
to San Francisco Randonneurs, Grizzly Peak Cyclists
This is a longish report. I have tried to write about things I learned
and observations I made. There's always the 'delete' key. Is there
anything I should have left out?

This was my first Brevet since 2007, when I had a dry 200K and
300K with Davis bike club. I don't think yesterday was wet enough to
be a real SFR brevet.

Still it was different from the GPC rides where a 30% PoP usually
cancels. We got to see what the 'Flooded' signs are all about.
There's something inspiring about being closer to dripping
redwoods and most-covered bay trees. That's where green
comes from. Think Emerald Isle.

Rob, you were right, there are people who ride at my pace.

I recently decided that pushing big gears doesn't work well if you
stop at stop signs and traffic lights, so I'm gearing down when
I ride in town. On recreational rides I try to keep my legs turning
easily even if the gear is so low I'm going ridiculously slowly. That's a
good way to ride to complete the course. Starting slow meant that
relatively speaking, I got stronger.

Talking of gear, bringing waterproof pants was the right decision.
You need them if you're wearing jeans, but not if it's Spandex.

Even with the rain it was warm enough to deter me from putting a
shower cap over the helmet.

Wearing a wind vest under the heavier waterproof jacket is probably a
mistake. It traps sweat, and high tech jerseys get cold and clammy.

Topeak Road Morph is not for everyone. It's certainly not for me,
unless I can figure out how to prevent it from flexing at the hinge
when you put your foot on it. Any clues about how to stabilize it
would be gratefully received.

I was pretty much off the back all the way into Petaluma. No discount
at Peets for wearing a their purple '40' jersey.

After Petaluma I corralled Jim into a two person paceline into a fierce
headwind that was trying to keep us from reaching Valley Ford.
Although I was trying to keep from spending too much time off the bike
at the rest stops, it takes a while to eat a cup of clam chowder. Thanks
to the Valley Ford Store for that.

Then I was slogging up Hwy 1 from Valley Ford towards Tomales.
Just before the top of the rise before you drop down to
Whittaker Bluff/Fallon Two Rock road, there was pile of sleeping piglets -
between the roadway and the fence. I stopped and circled to
make sure it wasn't an illusion. Then I had thoughts about letting
The Authorities know - on the assumption that they were
feral ones. Hmm, I wonder what feral piglet pancetta tastes like.
Sorry I didn't have a camera with me.

At Pt. Reyes the weather was clear enough that I took off the vest
and rain jacket so that the jersey could warm up and lose some
unwanted moisture. The layers went back on at the start of
White's Hill, which is when Wyatt and Nancy passed me.

I ate enough to keep fueled as far as Nicasio, but stopped eating
after that. I put my flagging energy down to getting near the
end of the ride. Memo to self: Read the cue sheet and mark
necessary fuel stops on it. The last food I ate was at Pt. Reyes Stn.

So I crawled on into the finish at 7:15, and turned my
soggy card in to Rob, along with the all-important receipts, which
were sort of legible.

Wyatt and Nancy owe us the story about how they persisted and
finished the ride.

I had a good time, and will be back for more. With rack, Ortlieb
(waterproof) pannier and full sized fenders.

How much should we spend at the control points to get the receipts?
It seems cheesy to me to spend just a few pennies for a coke or
something like that.

Finally, how can I get a wool jersey? Apparently SFRs are synthetic these
days? Is there a way for Grizzly Peak Cyclists to design offer wool
jerseys?

-phil

Rich Fisher

Feb 7, 2010, 11:19:43 AM2/7/10
to Philip Morton, San Francisco Randonneurs, Grizzly Peak Cyclists
Phil,
Ask Wyatt about the pump. He used to have one which he modified &
dramatically improved.

Rich

jim g

Feb 7, 2010, 8:43:54 PM2/7/10
to pmar...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs, Grizzly Peak Cyclists

Rob Hawks

Feb 7, 2010, 11:57:16 PM2/7/10
On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 2:49 AM, Philip Morton <pmar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rob, you were right, there are people who ride at my pace.

Yep, and you hooked up with a great companion for the tail end of the
ride. Last year I did the 2nd half of the Davis overnight brevet with
Jim G.

> After Petaluma I corralled Jim into a two person paceline into a fierce
> headwind that was trying to keep us from reaching  Valley Ford.

I've done this route 4 times now and every time there is a headwind on
that stretch. I'm not sure I'd call it fierce and while a headwind on
saturday, I think it provided two benefits: the extra work helped keep
me warm and the wind plus sun helped dry me out.

> Although I was trying to keep from spending too much time off the bike
> at the rest stops, it takes a while to eat a cup of clam chowder.  Thanks
> to the Valley Ford Store for that.

Marshall Store has a chowder that is 10 times better, but I still got
the chowder at the VF Market.

> Then I was slogging up Hwy 1 from Valley Ford towards Tomales.
> Just before the top of the rise before you drop down to
> Whittaker Bluff/Fallon Two Rock road, there was pile of sleeping piglets -
> between the roadway and the fence.  I stopped and circled to
> make sure it wasn't an illusion.  Then I had thoughts about letting
> The Authorities know - on the assumption that they were
> feral ones.  Hmm, I wonder what feral piglet pancetta tastes like.
> Sorry I didn't have a camera with me.

I saw the sow as I rode past, and to be honest my thought was "geeze
that is one sick looking cow"

> So I crawled on into the finish at 7:15, and turned my
> soggy card in to Rob, along with the all-important receipts, which
> were sort of legible.

I managed to rescue the card and receipts so all is good Phil.

> Wyatt and Nancy owe us the story about how they persisted and
> finished the ride.

That was one of the best stories about the ride. I have to admire the
determination to complete the ride and they arrived at the finish all
smiles. Well done!

> How much should we spend at the control points to get the receipts?
> It seems cheesy to me to spend just a few pennies for a coke or
> something like that.

I think any amount is fine, and the important point is be friendly
while there. We may put the next cyclist through there at a
disadvantage if we act impolite.

> Finally, how can I get a wool jersey?  Apparently SFRs are synthetic these
> days?  Is there a way for Grizzly Peak Cyclists to design offer wool
> jerseys?

Phil,

Plans are underway for an updated and much improved SFR wool jersey.
Stay on the SFR list and you're bound to hear about it.

rob hawks