Rides to Populaire start on offer from E Bay

Andrew Larson

Jun 20, 2013, 10:31:07 AM6/20/13
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Have 3 spots departing Oakland Sa morning.

Early bus, as my son and I are working start control...so if you get an offer involving :30min more sleep you should by all means take it. (Or...just pretend its a 400k!)

If more than one of you respond, I'll leave it to you to figure out a common meeting point reasonably close to 24/580 as multiple pickup stops won't be on offer given the early hour. Front fenders will need to be removed b/c fork mount roof trays will be carrying the bikes.

Cheers,

Andrew

Greg Merritt

Jun 20, 2013, 12:14:16 PM6/20/13
to San Francisco Randonneurs
I'll beat a dead horse with a one-line poem: "8am start means sleep
and BART."(*)

Hope springs eternal. Sure did like the 8am start of the first SFR
Populaire I rode! :)

-Greg

(*) Or, heck, even a 7:30am or 7:15am start......

Rob Hawks

Jun 20, 2013, 12:37:46 PM6/20/13
to Greg Merritt, San Francisco Randonneurs
Greg,

Thanks so much for posting this gripe every time we have a populaire.

rob

This message is from the San Francisco Randonneurs list at sfra...@googlegroups.com
Search the archives at http://groups.google.com/group/sfrandon
For SFR's schedule and general information, visit http://sfrandonneurs.org/

Klguzik

Jun 20, 2013, 1:00:47 PM6/20/13
to rob....@gmail.com, Greg Merritt, San Francisco Randonneurs
Lol, I'm usually on board with a later start for a shorter ride, but this year I lobbied for the earlier start time.
I'm in charge of getting all you riders fed at the finish (it's gonna be great!), and my daughter's big dance recital is that night.

See, dancing trumps sleep every time. ;-)
Kimber

Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G Touch

Rob Hawks

Jun 20, 2013, 1:07:02 PM6/20/13
to Klguzik, Greg Merritt, San Francisco Randonneurs
So Greg,

Just so you know, we can start at 8am if you want. All it will cost you is the post ride picnic. Should I get to work making the change?

rob

Alice Stribling

Jun 20, 2013, 1:16:52 PM6/20/13
to Rob Hawks, Klguzik, Greg Merritt, San Francisco Randonneurs
I want to hear more about the food.

EAT TO RIDE, RIDE TO EAT. :)

Alice

Alice Stribling
www.alicestribling.com

Dr Sketchy's Anti-Art School.
www.drsketchyssf.com

Jenny Oh Hatfield

Jun 20, 2013, 1:22:20 PM6/20/13
to sfra...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the ride, Andrew!

Cheers,

Jenny

Greg Merritt

Jun 20, 2013, 1:31:42 PM6/20/13
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Well, I suppose I'm nothing if not predictable. :)

Thanks, Kimber!

-Greg

Robert Prinz

Jun 20, 2013, 1:45:29 PM6/20/13
to Rob Hawks, Klguzik, Greg Merritt, San Francisco Randonneurs
I get that maximizing the available daylight is more important that accommodating transit users for SFR rides, but just for the record I think 7:30am starts would be a great compromise when possible. The first BART train gets to Embarcadero at 6:30am on Saturdays, and the bike ride from there to the bridge should take no more than 1/2 hour meaning riders would arrive by 7:00am to get checked in. As it is there are probably some riders who will still be taking that train this weekend and arriving at the start right at 7am, which puts the volunteers in a difficult position to check a bunch of people in all at once just as the ride is getting going.

I do the early morning transbay bus, myself, but with a limited number of bike spots and drivers that aren't always bike-friendly it can be unreliable and I have been bumped in the past, which is a not-so-fun way to start the day.

-Robert

Robert Prinz

Jun 20, 2013, 2:56:35 PM6/20/13
to Bryan Clarkson, Rob Hawks, Klguzik, Greg Merritt, San Francisco Randonneurs
I'm taking a different bus, Bryan, but before 9am on weekends the drivers are supposed to let you on board with your bike if the racks are full and there is space on the bus. Here's the relevant info you can reference if someone tries to deny you anyway:

-Robert

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Bryan Clarkson <bryan.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
Out of curiosity, how many are planning on taking the AC Transbay 800 bus from downtown Oakland at 5:38? Just trying to get a sense of bike rack availability.

Thanks!

-Bryan

--
Bryan Clarkson

Greg Merritt

Jun 20, 2013, 3:30:33 PM6/20/13
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Interesting -- info I've read previously has indicated that bikes
beyond the first two are allowed on-board on transbay allnighters at
the discretion of the driver. I haven't had a problem with this
taking the transbay allnighter to SFR events -- in fact, I usually get
to bring my bike on board, as the rack is usually full -- but have
always had this as a concern.

I've considered signing up for this service...

https://us.drive-now.com/how-it-works/?L=2&language=en_US

...and using it for Oakland->SF one-way car rentals for SFR events.
Surely you could do the transbay trip within the 30min/$12 minimum
rental in the wee hours of the morning on a Saturday. (Er, add the
bridge toll, too.)

Hm, never mind...they might have eliminated their downtown Oakland
locations. Well, might be good for some folks!

-Greg

Greg Merritt

Jun 20, 2013, 3:32:48 PM6/20/13
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Wait! There's "Lake Merritt Tower 155 Grand Ave, Oakland, CA 94612."

$39 per year, $12/30minute minimum rental.

-Greg

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Greg Merritt <greg.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've considered signing up for this service...
>
> https://us.drive-now.com/how-it-works/?L=2&language=en_US

Bryan Clarkson

Pierre

Jun 21, 2013, 1:46:09 AM6/21/13
to sfra...@googlegroups.com
Have 1 spot departing Rockridge. Fenders OK. I can pick you up close to 24/580 as well. You would be on your own for the return trip. Pierre.