SchoolTool 1.0 Released

Tom Hoffman

Apr 30, 2009, 10:13:20 PM4/30/09
to edubunt...@lists.ubuntu.com, Support list for open source software in schools., sf-uk...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy to announce the release of SchoolTool 1.0. The old-timers
know it has been a long and winding road, and this is just one
milestone along the way.

Overview of features: http://book.schooltool.org/htmlhelp/features.html
Release Notes: http://book.schooltool.org/htmlhelp/jaunty-release-notes.html
Installation: http://book.schooltool.org/htmlhelp/setup.html

Now the fun *really* begins.

--Tom

Mamading Ceesay

Apr 30, 2009, 11:17:37 PM4/30/09
to sf-uk...@googlegroups.com
2009/5/1 Tom Hoffman <tom.h...@gmail.com>
Congratulations on persisting and getting this far, I'm one of those old-timers so know exactly what you are talking about.

All the best,
Mamading.

Chris Puttick

May 1, 2009, 3:38:36 AM5/1/09
to sf-uk...@googlegroups.com
Wow! When SchoolTool (re)started, I was still working in Central
Manchester City Learning Centre. On my second job since then! (In
fact, I note sadly that I've been gone so long from the CLC that they
have almost entirely regressed to an MS stack :( )

SchoolTool was always going to be a challenge. Interestingly the UK
climate may be about ready to look at an alternative, with the
mainstream solution still causing issues (a fact that never ceases to
amaze me - both that these issues continue, 5 years on, and the
decision makers still persist in using said solution...) and with more
schools that are free to make their own decisions, SchoolTool reaching
1.0 status might just be the catalyst for change. Well, I can hope ;)

Congratulations for 1.0! Undoubtedly has been a lot of hard work
getting there :)

Chris

2009/5/1 Tom Hoffman <tom.h...@gmail.com>:
--
My employers website: http://thehumanjourney.net - opinions in this
email are however very much my own and may not reflect that of my

Documents attached to this email may be in ISO 26300 format:
http://iso26300.info

ga...@scholarpack.org

May 1, 2009, 4:13:50 AM5/1/09
to Schoolforge-UK MIAS

>Interestingly the UK
> climate may be about ready to look at an alternative, with the
> mainstream solution still causing issues

State controlled schools will never be able to change unless:
1/ The government bins the requirement for a census 3 times a year or:
2/ The MIS supports the census and CBDS/CTF requirements and from 2010
the new Workforce census.

Any MIS with development teams outside the UK are not likely to
include support for No.2 and the government is not likely to do No. 1.
Hence we may well be stuck with the sub-optimal situation. For
interest the MIS forum at Edugeek is usually a good place to view the
pain caused by the proprietary systems.
Regards
Garry