Upcoming Slow Food inspired events in our community!

Slow Food Spokane River Hall

May 10, 2010, 3:39:05 PM5/10/10
to sf-spokaneriverinfo
Join SFSR for our 4th Annual Urban Chicken Coop Tour on Saturday, June 12th from 9:00AM to 1:00PM

Slow Food Spokane River will be pecking around the South Hill this year for our 4th Annual Urban Chicken Coop Tour.  We’ll scratch around at 3-4 backyard coops of different sizes and styles to help you hatch ideas for designing a coop of your own!

Once again, you can complete the tour via foot, bicycle or carpool.

After the tour, gather back together for prizes, egg eats and to get to know fellow egg-ceptional chicken lovers!

Cost : $10  Buy tickets at:  www.brownpapertickets.com

For more information see attached flyer or contact Erika at dekr...@msn.com or 509.951.7431.

Please help us get the word out about this event by forwarding this email and/or posting the attached flyer.  Thanks!!

Slow Food Youth Workshop at Quillisascut Farm School of the Domestic Arts

Date: Aug 5-11, 2010

What: A week long Slow Food Youth Workshop at Quillisascut Farm. While at Quillisascut participants of the workshop will be immersed in a working farm experience that includes caring for goats, poultry and honeybees. Students will also learn about gardening with a focus on species recognized by RAFT and the Slow Food Ark of Taste. They will participate in cheese making with farm fresh goat milk. All at the farm will cook meals together using the fruits, vegetable and meat raised on the farm.

 Along with hands-on farming and cooking activities there will be daily discussions that help build a value system based on Slow Food’s principles that food should be "good, clean and fair" and why GMOs are a risk to the biodiversity that is needed to maintain sustainable food systems.

 · Observe nature’s operating systems: soil, insects, plants, livestock humans (entwining  the soil food web and the socio-economic food web)

· Getting started with gardens and small livestock

· How to take knowledge of food and food systems to an urban environment

· College dining services and options for schools to buy locally

· Opportunities to access land for farming

· Resources available for finding internships in the Northwest and further abroad

· Building our food communities

· Social Justice

· Food and Culture

 Young people desperately want to find a connection with their food. How can they be part of the movement and find satisfaction wherever they are, be it on school campuses, urban settings or rural farms? Together we will discover how to develop these essential connections.

The Slow Food Youth Workshop at Quillisascut is open to 12 participants. Participants must be between the ages of 18 and 29 to qualify as a youth. They need not be Slow Food members.

Cost: $355 includes  course materials and instruction, farm tours, food and lodging (transportation not included)

For more information  contact: Lora Lea Misterly

Applications due June 1, 2010

2010 coop tour flyer.pdf