chrome toolbar by @cartercole

Nick Gerner

Feb 1, 2010, 12:19:14 PM2/1/10
to SEOmoz API
This is posted on behalf of cartercole from
http://www.seomoz.org/blog/seomoz-free-api-and-enough-power-to-build-open-site-explorer#jtc103416

ok i have most of the data pulling...
canonical,metadescription,metarobots,pagetitle,metakeywords(i know its
ignored but why not pull it)and i even have it looking at the alt text
of images in anchors (which it uses as anchor text) but i ran into a
problem... i can make the api calls with javascript (i found a
implementation of the HMAC-SHA1 hash in javascript) the problem is i
dont see all the data coming back for the domain trust in the json...
i think i need to be passing the right bit flag in the Cols parameter
but i seem to be doing something wrong... can i get some help with
this? im @cartercole

Nick Gerner

Feb 1, 2010, 12:29:02 PM2/1/10
to SEOmoz API
Awesome!

First, instead of embedding your secret key into the toolbar, you
could include a pre-signed authentication token with an expiration
really far into the future if you prefer.

I'll get your account upgraded to full access as soon as I can.

As for the other metrics, mozTrust isn't included in the free API, so
you won't be able to get that without signing up for the paid package
(and neither will users that get this toolbar). If you're going to
distribute this, you probably wouldn't want to expose your paid API
key in the toolbar, since you'd be responsible for all the charges.
It'd be pretty easy to abuse your account.

What we do with our toolbar is have a page at www.seomoz.org that
returns a pre-signed authentication token. The toolbar hits that page
every 24 hours (sending the user's SEOmoz cookie). If they're PRO,
they get a token that's good for 24 hours. This gives them access to
all the metrics. If they're not, they get a different 24-hour token
that gives them access to just the free metrics. You can take a look
at how we're doing this in the mozBar:
http://www.seomoz.org/mozbar

If I were you, I'd start with just what's in the free API. That way
you can distribute the toolbar to anyone. That gives some options on
what to do next:
* have a config option that lets anyone put in their paid API key if
they're paying for it
* you or anyone could implement the logic I describe above to get
more metrics for a smaller audience

--Nick

On Feb 1, 9:19 am, Nick Gerner <n...@seomoz.org> wrote:
> This is posted on behalf of cartercole fromhttp://www.seomoz.org/blog/seomoz-free-api-and-enough-power-to-build-...

carte...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2010, 4:24:16 PM2/1/10
to SEOmoz API
i made the code where it can automatically pull a users api key if
they have an account and load it so it will use their account for
making requests. cool on the trust metric ill just show what default
api gives me. how do you get the magic cookie to pull pagerank? thats
been a hard one for me... id like to include it but it may be to hard
to implement

how should i publish this? with a youmoz post?

Nick Gerner

Feb 9, 2010, 4:12:50 PM2/9/10
to SEOmoz API
Carter,

We chatted offline about this a bit, but you're free to submit a
youmoz post (following all the normal submission guidelines), post it
on your own site, or post it here. If it works out well we're quite
likely to include it in the community submission section of the api
wiki:

http://apiwiki.seomoz.org/Sample-Code

--Nick

On Feb 1, 1:24 pm, "Carter.C...@gmail.com" <carter.c...@gmail.com>