Redirect From Old Ecommerce Site To New Ecommerce Site

Wallaby

Mar 12, 2012, 4:10:31 PM3/12/12
to Google Search Engine Optimization SEO Google - MSN - Yahoo
I have an eCommerce site that was recently moved from one host to
another. It was also moved to a completely different shopping cart
therefore the structure and URL are different.

The move took place 12 days ago but has not been indexed for the new
pages. All searches reveal the old URL which now longer exist so I am
getting very little traffic and a lot of 404's.

I don't have access to the old host (hence the move) to create
redirects.

I was thinking maybe giving some new pages URL the same as the old
database and redirecting to the new page but the old URL also include
\item_84\page-url.htm

Any ideas please? I'm open to any and all constructive ideas

thanks

husse...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2012, 4:49:53 PM3/12/12
to se...@googlegroups.com
Great question, let us know if you resolve it. My only suggestion may be to put googlebot do not follows on the old urls if you can access it via ftp, then link up the new urls on the new site. Alternatively try 301redirects, but again u will need access. Hackit?jk!
1-877-516-8176
C: 613-400-0959
www.hmscommunications.net

Daniel

Mar 12, 2012, 4:55:20 PM3/12/12
to se...@googlegroups.com

You don't need access to the old host to set up a redirect. If you are using windows server you would use iis 7 URL rewrite module 2. Or programing it into the code behind or routing engine. If you using another server type than you would need to create what ever master file that server looks for.

You wouldn't want your shopping cart pages indexed at all. They would be unique to each person.

If you meant your product pages than either duplicating the old URL or using a 301 permanent redirect to the new URL is the best practice.

asim ahmad

Mar 12, 2012, 5:07:23 PM3/12/12
to seo group
I would recommend trying to match your previous urls as close to possible then create a new sitemap and submit that...thats all google really needs!

> Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 13:10:31 -0700

> Subject: Redirect From Old Ecommerce Site To New Ecommerce Site

Darren Hallinan

Mar 12, 2012, 5:13:22 PM3/12/12
to se...@googlegroups.com
using the .htaccess file redirect the old urls to the new urls.

just google "htaccess redirect" and you will get the info you need

Lukasz

Mar 13, 2012, 9:40:32 AM3/13/12
to Google Search Engine Optimization SEO Google - MSN - Yahoo
Most eCommerce platforms have built in 301 redirects. Check your
eCommerce platform.

If that does not work you can do it manually with .htaccess file.
http://www.dailyblogtips.com/how-to-setup-a-301-redirect/

danny

Mar 13, 2012, 6:25:56 PM3/13/12
to se...@googlegroups.com
nothing you can do but wait. All permalinks that you had on each page will be diffrent if changed and thus not showing you a 404 make-sure-all-your-permalinks-are-like this and with absolutely no caps.
But if your page has been back linked and has back links pointing your way, you should have no problems gaining your positions in SERP
Make sure that all permas are exactly how you left them, the 404's could be this <

Daniel

Mar 14, 2012, 11:44:39 AM3/14/12
to se...@googlegroups.com
If you do use a bot file with nofollow then you will lose all of the old page info like age or URL and page rank. You would need to use a 301 redirect. Like others said there are several ways to do it it all depends on the tools and access level you have. But putting a bot file to not follow would be like starting over from day one and is not the way to solve this.

danny

Mar 14, 2012, 2:55:17 PM3/14/12
to se...@googlegroups.com
Wrong, dont listen to this guy, you will not lose your ranking PR in any way shape or form, matter fact you can put up that 1 page and see your rank, I would tell you if it would grow however, keep content on it or a strong backlink pointing towards the website. 1 edu pr 3 or above will maintain all your keywords at number 1. If you competitor has 2.edu backlinks, get3 .edus to push the competitor below your website. if you need .edu backlinks send me a messegae, Im sure we can have your home page where it belongsa, as far as 301's they arnt that efficient to google, in fact google hate redirection, ask anybody here. But google will tolerate it, but with its own hidden agenda that we will never know.

Wallaby

Mar 20, 2012, 2:46:44 PM3/20/12
to Google Search Engine Optimization SEO Google - MSN - Yahoo

Thanks everyone for your replies.
This is what I have done to get out of doo doo. I added ErrorDocument
404 /index.php to .htaccess
What that does is points all bad url to the home page. This got rid of
all 404 errors but it does not help with permanent redirects.

I want to do a bit more.

The old url and the new url are completely different because of
different databases. I have no access to the old server because the
host reseller did a runner :) Any suggestion of accessing the old host
server is out of the question.
Because the url's are different, I cannot do a straight rewrite rule
so I need to be a bit more creative but am having syntax problems.

The site is jewelry and categorized as necklace, bracelet, earings
etc.
I am looking for a way to take any file that has one of those category
names in the url and redirect it to a specific url. For instance, an
old url with the word "earring" in it would redirect to http://myurl/earrings.php

What I have tried is,
Redirect ^.*(earrings).* $ http://myurl/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=103_104
[R,NC]

What this SHOULD do, is collect all characters then the word earrings
then any other characters and send them to a category list for
earrings. The problem here is that it wants rewrite those characters
into the new url.

I want to discard those characters and only use the word earrings.

Anyone got good htaccess knowledge?

thanks for your help

Coryon Redd

Mar 20, 2012, 3:20:06 PM3/20/12
to se...@googlegroups.com

Please tell me more about your edu back links.  I have several link building clients that could benefit.

Coryon

danny

Mar 20, 2012, 3:41:05 PM3/20/12
to se...@googlegroups.com
.htacess is realy eay to do, just read on it and try doing simple 301's 302's for fun just to see if you can do it. .htaccess is very easy and is what controls google bot for you and tells it what to do

danny

Mar 20, 2012, 4:55:32 PM3/20/12
to se...@googlegroups.com
search for this on google. Drop my link ..... and start looking for .edus to leave a comment backlink to however, look very hard and you will find a way to create the .edus | you just need to learn how to search for it

Daniel

Mar 20, 2012, 5:53:04 PM3/20/12
to se...@googlegroups.com

You should always try to build your own sites. Using other people's databases and logic gets you into situations where you have no control.

I know little about Linux but when you redirect to the home page your should log the referring URL so you can make a 301 redirect for that specific URL. Are you using 301 or 302 to redirect to the home page?

Coryon Redd

Mar 21, 2012, 12:00:17 PM3/21/12
to se...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.  Can you give me an example or two or an article that gets into a bit more detail?  I have a variety of clients in different fields so I can focus my chances on the ones with the best fit for edu linking.  Some examples could really help me out.

Coryon Redd
CEO

danny

Mar 21, 2012, 12:35:37 PM3/21/12
to se...@googlegroups.com
please let daniel explain. he's on the right track.

Onlylinux

Mar 21, 2012, 1:40:39 PM3/21/12
to se...@googlegroups.com
Dear OP,

I think you have to sit tight and wait, this happens , I have seen in past where Google take bit longer time to index new url's. If you have used 301 redirects from old domain to new one, every thing will be restored soon.

One question, did you changed the address at webmaster tools? if not do that, this helps a lot. You can complete steps  here at Google's support center Moving your website.

Hope this helps.

Steve Arun
http://www,va4business.com

danny

Mar 21, 2012, 5:33:38 PM3/21/12
to se...@googlegroups.com
Well thats true, but wait untill google indexes the website, and sit back and relax. Your new URLS if they do not contain the exact permalinks they are considered broken. Let Google index your new permas" . If you have backlinked your ecommerce site then you should be ok. What i mean here is, if your anchor backlink is still pointing to your $ site, then wait again for indexing and heres a trick I do when I get 404's. I find all my backlinks pnted to my $ site and re ping them every 1-3 days... not every day because you might delay Google indexing or piss him off lol Pinging is not as crucial as indexing, find a good indexer, and you will see big results. I have created my own indexer, but that I will not mention here.

Daniel

Mar 21, 2012, 6:18:28 PM3/21/12
to se...@googlegroups.com

http://www.seomoz.org/learn-seo/redirection

I redirect for an honest reason is not a bad thing. Matt Cuts knows more than anyone about Google and SEO. He has covered 301 when they are right and wrong. 301 redirects are used for many reasons. Good ones are fixing caps issues and adding WWW or removing it. They also help for adding trailing slashes.

They are there for a reason. If you need to move a site and to get people to the correct page.

People who think they are experts used to use then to avoid losing page rank so Google takes off a small percentage when you do it.

Doing nothing is stupid and getting fake linkbacks is worse. Be honest and write good content. Consider building your own site so you control every aspect.

If you are still having issues Google will likely be looking at you in a negative light because they are being set every where.

If page A matches page B and you do a 301 from A to B why would Google hate you? If your page B is nit even close Google is going to think you are tricking people and are going to knock you down.

You need to take care to redirect everypage to the correct new page. Or make sure that you are using the same URL as you were before.

This backlinking is good after. But you need to get your site straight first. If you don't let Google know you moved the page then you will lose everything and if you move it with a 301 and the referring page is not similar to the new page Google is going to wounded why you did it.

danny

Mar 21, 2012, 7:28:09 PM3/21/12
to se...@googlegroups.com
you know since im in a good mood the answer you really are looking for is | Google both recognizes upper case and lower case letters in a permalink structure. you want to try to do a 301 redirect to those URLS that are either uppercase letter structure or mixed. Google 301 redirect, and you may learn beyond of what you are looking to achieve. This works, and get to work! lol