Changing domain name and duplicate content

kareem bahrawy

Aug 20, 2013, 9:45:43 AM8/20/13
to se...@googlegroups.com
I had a blog with a domain name called "justdevelopwebsites" and created some posts on it but it was expired about a month ago and I'm thinking of coping the old website content(posts and design with some modifications) to a new domain . Would it be considered a duplicate content? Is there a way to tell google that I am changing my blog domain name?

Also any advices will be appreciated. Thanks.

David Yang

Aug 20, 2013, 10:21:21 AM8/20/13
to se...@googlegroups.com
Your previous domain is quite important for Google. If someone visits your content via the previous searched results, he may see an error page. It's better to take the domain back and park it on your new website for a while.

Kind Regards,

David Yang

Disclaimer: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 11:45 PM, kareem bahrawy <karee...@gmail.com> wrote:
I had a blog with a domain name called "justdevelopwebsites" and created some posts on it but it was expired about a month ago and I'm thinking of coping the old website content(posts and design with some modifications) to a new domain . Would it be considered a duplicate content? Is there a way to tell google that I am changing my blog domain name?

Also any advices will be appreciated. Thanks.

Colin King

Aug 20, 2013, 10:34:20 AM8/20/13
to se...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 2:45:43 PM UTC+1, kareem bahrawy wrote:
I had a blog with a domain name called "justdevelopwebsites" and created some posts on it but it was expired about a month ago and I'm thinking of coping the old website content(posts and design with some modifications) to a new domain . Would it be considered a duplicate content? Is there a way to tell google that I am changing my blog domain name?

Also any advices will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Kareem,

Yes it certainly would be considered duplicate content and you therefore need to be careful.

Almost certainly Google will already have indexed the pages on "justdevelopwebsites" and if they then found other identical pages they would ignore them (i.e. NOT index them) because they don't want the same posts appearing twice under different guises.  Ironically then you might find that your "old" pages were in the Google index and your "new" pages are not!

It is likely that the pages on "justdevelopwebsites" will have acquired some PageRank and ideally you need to transfer this to your new site - it would be a pity to just lose it!  The way to do this is with 301 permanent redirects.  This has the effect of redirecting anyone who types in one of the "old" URLS or who follows an "old" link (say from Google Search) to your "new" page and at the same time transfers any link equity to your new pages.

Hope that helps,

Colin

Jay Bale

Aug 20, 2013, 12:38:37 PM8/20/13
to seo1
That is a good post by Collin. I would follow that kind advice.

Jay

Jay Bale SEO
Jay Bale and Associates
Google Ecommerce Development
Group Manager, Google SEO 1
122 S. Main Suite 290
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1925 USA
Cell: 734-646-7694
Jay...@Gmail.com
JayBale.com

 This message is being sent by Jay Bale & Associates. It is intended exclusively for the individuals to which it is addressed. This communication, including any attachments or any other form of media, may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential, and/or sensitive. By opening and/or viewing this message, you agree not to disseminate this information to anyone else. This message is protected by applicable legal privileges and all rights, regarding this message, are reserved by Jay Bale & Associates

kareem bahrawy

Aug 21, 2013, 7:06:24 AM8/21/13
to se...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your replies, so as you say the best solution is to buy my old domain again for say 6 months and redirect all old pages to the new domain pages... 6 months will be enough for google to change its indexes to my new domain pages right ?

kareem bahrawy

Aug 21, 2013, 7:11:23 AM8/21/13
to se...@googlegroups.com
One more thing. I searched google for my old domain name and it's not there any more does that mean google removed it from it's indexes? And what if I bought it again would that make a difference?

Colin King

Aug 21, 2013, 9:45:02 AM8/21/13
to se...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kareem,

Are you sure that the pages you wrote were ever indexed by Google in the first place?  If they have never been indexed then you have nothing to worry about - just go ahead and create your new blog and forget about the old one.

Likewise, if your original pages were indexed but are not in the index now then I wouldn't worry.  Google could not consider your "new" pages to be duplicate content if they have nothing in their index to compare them with!

Take the URL of one of your "old" pages and put it in the address bar of your browser - if the page isn't displayed then you can be sure that it no longer exists.

Hope that helps,

Colin

kareem bahrawy

Aug 21, 2013, 9:53:45 AM8/21/13
to se...@googlegroups.com
Hi Colin,

Thanks for your quick reply.
I searched google with the URL of one of my old pages and nothing came up (just the facebook page I created but I can delete it). Does that mean I can now go ahead and move all the old content to my new domain and not to worry about google blocking me or something because of duplication?

Colin King

Aug 21, 2013, 1:18:13 PM8/21/13
to se...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kareem,

I would expect that because your earlier domain has "expired" there is no danger of now creating anything that might be deemed by Google to be duplicate content on your new domain.  I must confess though that I am not ABSOLUTELY sure - maybe someone else in the forum can step in with a further assurance.

Many thanks,

kareem bahrawy

Aug 21, 2013, 2:01:03 PM8/21/13
to se...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Colin you really helped a lot and I'm gonna take my chances and move directly to the new domain.