Why suddenly my site ranking is gone?

Luna

Aug 15, 2013, 2:58:53 PM8/15/13
to se...@googlegroups.com
its been 2 months my site http://www.fourseasonsgutterpro.com.au ranking is going down. actually i don't understand why? because we used to be on top 4 but now its all gone.
the most ridiculous thing is that some time keywords like "gutter guards", "leaf guards" ranking is going up and after few days ranking is gone down.why this up and downs is happening.
can anyone tell me why is this happening?

Colin King

Aug 16, 2013, 2:03:19 AM8/16/13
to se...@googlegroups.com
 Hi Luna,

The experience I have had with our own sites is that this roller-coaster type of ranking is extremely common on relatively new sites and indeed, on new pages within established sites.  You sometimes hear people talk about a "Honeymoon period" and it seems that Google often rank new sites highly for a few weeks to gage the reaction to them.  After this initial high ranking the sites and pages fall back in the rankings and then begin a slow climb back up again.

Again, my own experience is that it takes about a year of doing the right things for a new site and new pages to reach their "correct" position in the rankings and after that the ups and downs are much less tumultuous!

All of which is assuming you have a relatively NEW site.  If you have an established site (say a year or more old) and your rankings have suddenly fallen back then you have most likely succumbed to a change in the Google algorithms.  Let us know how old your site is.

Best wishes,  Colin

luna chakraborty

Aug 16, 2013, 1:36:55 PM8/16/13
to se...@googlegroups.com
Hi Colin,

Thank you so much for your reply.i really appreciate it.
my site is almost 8 years old.

Thanks
Luna

Thanks
Luna
SEO Professional.
Team Manager
Univex Solutions
skype: univex.luna

Colin King

Aug 17, 2013, 3:15:12 AM8/17/13
to se...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:58:53 PM UTC+1, Luna wrote:
Hi Luna,
The fact that your site has been up-and-running for 8 years almost certainly means that for one reason or another Google are not valuing your site as highly as they once did.  If you have not changed your site substantially then the reason for the devaluation can only be that Google’s method of valuing sites (their algorithms) have recently been changed.   Nobody outside of Google knows the exact nature of the algorithms but my top 3 suggestions to make Google look more kindly upon you are “Inbound Links”, “Freshness” and “Specificity”.  A few notes about each follow…

INBOUND LINKS
Your site has been going for 8 years and still only has a PageRank of 2 and that suggests that there are only a few “Good” sites linking to you.   It could even be that you have recently suffered a penalty because you have “Bad” sites linking to you.  If you have not done so already then it’s important to setup and keep a watch on Google Webmaster Tools – that’s where Google will tell you if they are unhappy about something on your site.

If you can provide really good, useful information on your site about your speciality subject (not overly commercial) then it is much more likely that other “Good” sites will link to you.  Google takes this as a clear sign that your site is trustworthy with resultant better rankings.  Have you thought about running a blog?  A blog that is “promoted” on social media sites is flavour of the month for building inbound links from trusted sources!

FRESHNESS
Google are keen to ensure that “redundant” and little-used sites are purged from their rankings or at least significantly demoted.  If no pages have been added to your site recently then you may have fallen foul of the sections of the Google algorithm that deal with “freshness”.  Here again, a blog on your site (or even just a new page dealing with a specific subject every couple of weeks) might work wonders.

SPECIFICITY
Your site has relatively few pages and because of this each page is relatively non-specific.  This means that Google gives you LOW priority in the rankings for MANY different terms and what you want is the opposite!  My feeling is that it is preferable to rank in the top 5 positions on page 1 for just a single key term than it is to rank on page 5 for 100 different terms.  The hard truth is that people just don’t visit page 5 in the SERPS let alone trust those sites!

The solution to specificity is to determine exactly what products and services you can offer and then write a page for each one.  On each page you need to convince visitors (and Google) that you are the expert in this field.  Using your in-depth knowledge of the subject tell visitors what the problems are and how to overcome them; show them solutions you have and can provide; show them pictures of “Before and After”; explain why your system is better than anyone else’s and most importantly of all, demonstrate that you empathise with their situation and you can make their lives better!

FINAL THOUGHT
Google are becoming better and better at determining what makes for a “good user experience”.  If you focus on providing more and better information to potential customers then Google will increasingly reward you for it.

Hope that helps,

Colin

Reg Charie

Aug 18, 2013, 1:52:10 PM8/18/13
to se...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luna.
Google changes their algos all the time and your site might have fallen to these changes.
Look at the use of the keyword "gutters" on your index page. There are 30 repetitions of it in around 600 words.
Ask yourself if your readers need to see it repeated as often as it is.

Look at your inbound link profile.
You have a lot of links from non-relative pages like http://www.ourscenetv.com/articles/one-million-moms-boycotts-dancinc-with-the-stars-chaz-bono
http://www.nokidhungry.org/blog/news/2012/12/cory-booker%E2%80%99s-food-stamp-challenge

And look at your meta tags. Your keywords tag has over 25% repetitions of the keyword "gutter".
Google thinks that more than 3 repetitions is spam.
Also, FYI, the meta tags are "information about information" and should ONLY repeat what is ACTUALLY on the page.

The exit popup is probably a problem also.

Contact me in Skype, (vre-crash) if you would like to discuss your SEO options to regain your top positions.

Good luck.
Reg

luna chakraborty

Aug 19, 2013, 2:10:29 PM8/19/13
to se...@googlegroups.com
Hi Colin,

Thanks for this beautiful information and i will try to implement them as soon as i can and i will work with only one keyword at a time.
in my case can you please suggest me what should i do apart from this.

Thanks
Luna