Re: Two different domains: Duplicate content problem

Craig Elie

Apr 11, 2013, 2:55:48 PM4/11/13
to se...@googlegroups.com

You should have 301 redirected it

On Apr 11, 2013 10:46 AM, "Sunny WebSeo" <jsun...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All experts,

I have two domains live on web - xyz.com & abc.com. Both are pointing to same website so creating the issue of duplicate content. when i am searching random content snippet in Google, It shows me abc.com in search results. But mu original domain is xyz.com. I want xyz.com to appear in search results.

I cannot apply meta noindex tag in abc.com.

So what I have done- I closed the domain abc.com so it is no more live on web.

Will it make appear xyz.com in search results for the same content ?

Will it solve the problem of duplicate content ?

Please let me have clarification on this issue

Thanks in advance

Jay Bale

Apr 12, 2013, 9:24:31 AM4/12/13
to seo1
Hello
Just shut down the URL that you no longer want and the algorithm will automatically correct the issue you speak of. The active domain will not follow and replace the old domains as they die off over the next few weeks, within the SERPS.

It may take some time depending on the level of penalty you received and your crawl rate. I would go to webmaster tools and ask that both sites be crawled as soon as they are positioned and the dying URL has been parked at the registrar. Expect several months before any real traction begins.

Best,
Jay Bale SEO
Ann Arbor, MI
Group Manager

--
Jay Bale SEO
Jay Bale and Associates

 This message is being sent by Jay Bale & Associates. It is intended exclusively for the individuals to which it is addressed. This communication, including any attachments or any other form of media, may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential, and/or sensitive. By opening and/or viewing this message, you agree not to disseminate this information to anyone else. This message is protected by applicable legal privileges and all rights, regarding this message, are reserved by Jay Bale & Associates

Craig Elie

Apr 12, 2013, 3:57:37 PM4/12/13
to se...@googlegroups.com

I would not shut down the old url.  I would 301 redirect.  It will help with seo as well as help get your domain indexed.

Jay Bale

Apr 15, 2013, 10:58:22 AM4/15/13
to seo1
I think in many cases everyone is right. It is about getting the duplicate content off.

In most cases a 301 is the best option when letting a site down to replace another. In issues such as duplicate content, parking the domain or killing all the content seems to work faster in concern to how long the algorithm will wait to re index the situation completely.

Either way will work just fine.

Best,
Jay Bale