WebDriver 2 Is Broken with Firefox 11

tgao

Mar 19, 2012, 4:51:02 PM3/19/12
to Selenium Users
Today my Firefox got automatically updated from 10 to 11. Then all my
WebDriver-based tests are broken.
OS: Widnows XP
Broswer: Firefox 11
WebDriver: selenium-api 2.20, selenium-firefox-driver 2.20

Error Message:

org.openqa.selenium.firefox.NotConnectedException: Unable to connect
to host localhost on port 7055 after 45000 ms. Firefox console output:
*** LOG addons.xpi: startup
*** LOG addons.xpi: Skipping unavailable install location app-system-
local
*** LOG addons.xpi: Skipping unavailable install location app-system-
share
*** LOG addons.xpi: Ignoring file entry whose name is not a valid add-
on ID: ...\anonymous2291254236330480710webdriver-profile\extensions
\webdriver-staging
*** LOG addons.xpi: checkForChanges
*** LOG addons.xpi: No changes found

It looks like that Firefox 11 regards the name of the webdriver add-on
as invalid.

B P

Mar 20, 2012, 2:04:03 PM3/20/12
to Selenium Users
Similar story here. Firefox updated itself to FF11 but I was using
Selenium Server 2.13.0 which broke with the same stack trace.
Upgrading to Selenium 2.20.0 didn't help me so I'm guessing that the
Selenium version doesn't matter and that if you've used WebDriver
before FF11, it is broken now. If there were some way to reset
Firefox (profiles? preferences? config?) to a state where WebDriver
has never operated it before (virgin state) maybe it will work again.

Mike Riley

Mar 20, 2012, 6:06:22 PM3/20/12
to Selenium Users
Because of how Firefox seems to break things with every version I
specifically disable it checking for updates. I also store the setup
files for every version from 3.6.22 (or whatever the latest one is for
the 3.6 line) and the highest minor updates for 4.x and higher, so I
can always set up a system with all the older versions if I need to.

It always takes a while after a release before native events are
supported for a new version. If you look at the Changelog file you
will see that it took until 2.19.0 to support them for Firefox 10.

I think the people at Mozilla need to have a reality check. This
rapid changing of major versions is causing a lot of breakage, and not
just for Selenium. People that make various add-ons are going to get
tired very soon of having to issue "catch up" versions just because
they released a new major version (often with little functional
changes).

My $0.02 on it...

Mike

B P

Mar 20, 2012, 7:43:53 PM3/20/12
to Selenium Users
Just to clarify something. Using Selenium 2.13.0 on FF10 did work.
Then FF10 updated to FF11 and Selenium broke with the same stack
trace. Selenium 2.20.0 fixed THAT problem for me, but I cannot use
2.20.0 due to problems with the FirefoxDriver, caching, and back-
navigation weirdness.

This is why I guessed that any pre-existing Selenium will break from
F10 to F11 (Windows only I guess) and that it must have something to
do with a config, preference, or something.

Alvin Lin

Apr 12, 2012, 5:51:53 AM4/12/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Is there an issue open for this at Selenium's project page?

Mark Collin

Apr 12, 2012, 9:42:54 AM4/12/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

What version of WebDriver?  2.20.0 did not support Firefox 11

Shaba K

Apr 12, 2012, 10:30:25 AM4/12/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
All,

I am on WebDriver 2.20 & on FF 11 ...
C# ,Nunit
It works well

Am i missing something from the lot ??

Mark Collin

Apr 12, 2012, 10:38:54 AM4/12/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

2.20.0 was released before FireFox 11 therefore there is no guarantee it will work.

It may work in some situations, and it may fail in others.

Shaba K

Apr 12, 2012, 10:41:27 AM4/12/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mark :)