Creating a browser automation standard

Simon Stewart

Mar 2, 2011, 10:31:13 AM3/2/11
to selenium-developers
Hi everyone,

I guess this is one of the few places where I don't need to write an
introductory paragraph about why creating a standard for browser
automation is a Good Thing :)

With the recent release of the OperaDriver and the imminent release of
the new ChromeDriver (which is contained with the Chromium project's
source) now seems like the perfect time to take the next step towards
one of the long-term goals of the project: creating a standard for
browser automation. The focus of this standard will be to provide an
API that can be used to automatically test web applications.

The plan is to use the WebDriver APIs to create an IDL, with the
remote webdriver as a reference implementation. We'll be working to
improve the documentation of the various methods, turning them from
the fairly loose javadocs we have now into something more concrete.
Our existing tests are going to be used to help define in an
unambiguous way how each method is meant to behave, and the
documentation will refer to these.

The aim is to provide and document mechanisms that allow for the
standardized API to be extended in company and vendor specific ways.
This will make it possible to explore new functionality that might be
added, and allow vendors to add unique functionality (such as the
ability to test browser chrome)

Naturally, the plan is to do this work out in the open, so anyone
who's interested can keep track of what's happening and have a voice.
For now, we'll be working here, but I suspect that we'll end up
creating a separate list for this work. I'll be posting followups over
the next day or so linking to the initial work.

Cheers,

Simon

Dave Hunt

Mar 2, 2011, 12:51:05 PM3/2/11
to Selenium Developers
Awesome! :D

Dave.

Paul Grandjean

Mar 2, 2011, 12:53:28 PM3/2/11
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com, Dave Hunt
Simon, this is really interesting stuff, and I'll be following it closely.

Paul

Awesome! :D

Dave.

Rivlin

Mar 2, 2011, 1:55:26 PM3/2/11
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com, selenium-...@googlegroups.com, Dave Hunt
Really very cool

Sent from my iPhone

Charley Baker

Mar 2, 2011, 1:48:54 PM3/2/11
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
I'm definitely interested in this as well.

Cheers,

Charley

Jim Evans

Mar 2, 2011, 3:01:07 PM3/2/11
to Selenium Developers
I'm on board, let me know what I can do to help.

Jari Bakken

Mar 2, 2011, 6:35:08 PM3/2/11
On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Simon Stewart <simon.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The plan is to use the WebDriver APIs to create an IDL, with the
> remote webdriver as a reference implementation.

Even though it's strictly speaking not a browser API, I guess it would
make sense to use WebIDL [1] for this, which should be familiar to
vendors. Would be happy to help with this if needed. I've done a Ruby
parser/generator for WebIDL [2] before (used to do generate
watir-webdriver's pseudo-DOM classes), which could be of some use as
well.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/
[2] https://github.com/jarib/webidl

Simon Stewart