Selenium PHP WebDriver

Alexey

Apr 7, 2010, 4:22:23 PM4/7/10
to Selenium Developers
Hello, I have read a lot about current WebDriver implementations for
Se 2.0 and came with another GSoC proposal - It could be possible to
migrate (not to rewrite from scratch!) existing Java WebDriver
functionality to the PHP language by using Quercus. "Quercus is Caucho
Technology's 100% Java implementation of PHP 5 released under the Open
Source GPL license. " as says Caucho's webpage at http://quercus.caucho.com/,
so it is possible to use both - Java and PHP constructions in single
file.

Using this technology could allow PHP developers to use existing
WebDriver abilities with additional advantages -
1. Java guru could help with anything that they know about WebDrivers
itself, because of zero needs to use "foreign" languages such as PHP,
and
2. PHP developers can try to learn simple Java constructions and
overall programming techniques.

Another benefit from choosing Quercus - using Java powers to ease PHP
weaknesses, e.g. multithreading (not poor fork() implementation), NIO
socket pools, existing libraries, least but not last - overall speed
increase.

Like I mentioned in my previous mailing-list post - I have extensive
Java knowledge, and before last 3 years of Java programming I
developed on PHP since 2003, so I believe both these skills could help
me successfully implement PHP WebDriver for Se 2.0.

Patrick Lightbody

Apr 8, 2010, 12:29:20 PM4/8/10
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Alexey,
Good idea! I suggest you submit a second proposal for GSoC with this idea.

Patrick