Selenium RC ABAP client and ABAP export format for Selenium IDE

Gregor Wolf

Jul 30, 2009, 5:14:55 PM7/30/09
to selenium-developers
Hello Selenium Developers,

due to the lack of integrated testing tools all SAP Web UI's (BSP -
Business Server Pages, WebDynpro ABAP and SAP CRM WebUI) I've started
to implement a Selenium RC client implementation in ABAP and also
created the export script for Selenium IDE. ABAP is SAP's own
programming language running on the NetWeaver Web Application Server
ABAP. It provides also it's own implementation of Unit Test's called
ABAP Unit.

Selenium RC ABAP client

Due to the concept of ABAP to have two blocks which define and then
implement a class, I've created two XSLT Files to generate the ABAP
class for the Selenium RC client. You can download them at
http://www.computerservice-wolf.com/download/selenium-abap/iedoc2abapdef.xml
and http://www.computerservice-wolf.com/download/selenium-abap/iedoc2abapimpl.xml.
Togehter with the iedoc.xml they will produce the code available also
at http://www.computerservice-wolf.com/download/selenium-abap/ZCL_SELENIUM_CLIENT.abap.
To compile it the file you need the exception class from
http://www.computerservice-wolf.com/download/selenium-abap/CLAS_ZCX_SELENIUM_ERROR.slnk.
This file is in the SAPLink format which is a Project available at
http://code.google.com/p/saplink/.

ABAP export format for Selenium IDE

For the implementation of the ABAP export format for Selenium IDE I've
based my work on the Python export. It is still work in progress but
also available at http://www.computerservice-wolf.com/download/selenium-abap/abap-rc.js.
It creates a complete ABAP Unit test out of a Selenium IDE recording.

You can watch a screen cam with the Selenium RC ABAP client in action
at http://www.computerservice-wolf.com/download/SeleniumV2.wmv.

Please let me know how I can continue to improve my implementation and
perhaps get it included into the standard distribution.

Best regards
Gregor Wolf
https://weblogs.sdn.sap.com/pub/u/2345

Tarun K

Jul 30, 2009, 11:53:22 PM7/30/09
to selenium-developers
Very Interesting.

This would open channels for selenium in a different domain. I am sure
many would be interested in this.

~ T

pgrandje

Jul 31, 2009, 8:20:23 AM7/31/09
to selenium-developers
Hi, I don't use SAP so I wouldn't be able to offer feedback, but I do
think this is great you're doing this.

It seems like not much development is happening on the IDE at the
moment, I think the orig dev is busy on other projects I guess, but
there is interest out there on improving the IDE and it's something I
hope to contribute to myself a bit later.

I'd encourage you to at least submit your improvement to Jira so we
retain a record of your knowledge. Also there's a patch process
somewhere which I haven't used yet. Perhaps you can submit your
exporter code as a patch for future code integration. Anyway, at
least put your changes in Jira,

thanks

P---

gyrm

Jul 31, 2009, 10:34:58 AM7/31/09
to selenium-developers
Thanks for this!

I too have no experience with ABAP. Does the client driver code need
to be compiled? If so, is a free compiler available?

As long as the implementation is working, and you have clearance to
share the code :) I don't see any reason why we can't include it.

Haw-Bin

On Jul 30, 5:14 pm, Gregor Wolf <gregor.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Selenium Developers,
>
> due to the lack of integrated testing tools all SAP Web UI's (BSP -
> Business Server Pages, WebDynpro ABAP and SAP CRM WebUI) I've started
> to implement a Selenium RC client implementation in ABAP and also
> created the export script for Selenium IDE. ABAP is SAP's own
> programming language running on the NetWeaver Web Application Server
> ABAP. It provides also it's own implementation of Unit Test's called
> ABAP Unit.
>
> Selenium RC ABAP client
>
> Due to the concept of ABAP to have two blocks which define and then
> implement a class, I've created two XSLT Files to generate the ABAP
> class for the Selenium RC client. You can download them athttp://www.computerservice-wolf.com/download/selenium-abap/iedoc2abap...
> andhttp://www.computerservice-wolf.com/download/selenium-abap/iedoc2abap....
> Togehter with the iedoc.xml they will produce the code available also
> athttp://www.computerservice-wolf.com/download/selenium-abap/ZCL_SELENI....
> To compile it the file you need the exception class fromhttp://www.computerservice-wolf.com/download/selenium-abap/CLAS_ZCX_S....
> This file is in the SAPLink format which is a Project available athttp://code.google.com/p/saplink/.
>
> ABAP export format for Selenium IDE
>
> For the implementation of the ABAP export format for Selenium IDE I've
> based my work on the Python export. It is still work in progress but
> also available athttp://www.computerservice-wolf.com/download/selenium-abap/abap-rc.js.
> It creates a complete ABAP Unit test out of a Selenium IDE recording.
>
> You can watch a screen cam with the Selenium RC ABAP client in action
> athttp://www.computerservice-wolf.com/download/SeleniumV2.wmv.

Gregor Wolf

Aug 1, 2009, 6:53:32 AM8/1/09
to selenium-developers
Hi
> I too have no experience with ABAP. Does the client driver code need
> to be compiled? If so, is a free compiler available?

The ABAP Code is compiled inside the SAP NetWeaver Application Server.
A trial version is available for Download at:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/nw-downloads

But the standard case I think would be that a company which has a SAP
license will use it on their Development Systems to do the testing.

> As long as the implementation is working, and you have clearance to
> share the code  :)  I don't see any reason why we can't include it.

It's all my own work based mostly on the Selenium RC Python
implementation. But could you giuide me what tests I can run for the
generated code and the Selenium IDE Code generation to verify it's
correctness and completeness?

Best regards
Gregor

Gregor Wolf

Aug 17, 2009, 3:53:47 PM8/17/09
to selenium-developers
Hi P,

> I'd encourage you to at least submit your improvement to Jira so we
> retain a record of your knowledge.

I've created two issues in Jira:

Selenium RC ABAP Client Driver
http://jira.openqa.org/browse/SRC-737

and

ABAP export format for Selenium IDE
http://jira.openqa.org/browse/SIDE-343

hope that will kick off the process.

Best regards
Gregor

Patrick Lightbody

Aug 17, 2009, 10:58:25 PM8/17/09
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Gregor,
That's great. But don't be afraid to check in a bug us from time to
time to make sure it gets the right attention. And as always, issues
with patches that cleanly apply and test cases always get priority :)

Patrick

Gregor Wolf

Aug 18, 2009, 1:15:22 PM8/18/09
to selenium-developers
Hi Patrick,

> And as always, issues
> with patches that cleanly apply and test cases always get priority :)

I would love to contribute a test case for all the Selenium
functionality. But I wasn't able to find an example for that for the
other Selenium RC Client Drivers in the repository. Can you point me
to a good example to start with? Is there an webpage design for that
use? Please provide me some guidance.

Best regards
Gregor

Patrick Lightbody

Aug 25, 2009, 12:39:15 AM8/25/09
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
We don't have any ready to use documentation, but feel free to look
through the source of either the Java RC client driver or the
server-coreless module. If there isn't anything in there and you're
feeling up to writing a new test case, that'd be nice too :)

Gregor Wolf

Sep 3, 2009, 4:23:40 PM9/3/09
to selenium-developers
You can watch a recording of my one hour presentation at the Virtual
SAP Community Day 2009 about this topic at https://sap.emea.pgiconnect.com/p38584219/