Sri Lanka takes protecting Buddhism to the International Level

crdesilva

Jun 22, 2010, 11:23:43 AM6/22/10
to Secular Sri Lanka Discussions
Sri Lankan Prime Minister D.M. Jayaratne has said that he has decided
to take action over the conduct of the Buddha Bar restaurant chain and
intends to inform the leaders of the countries in which these bars are
located to take action against such places.
Source: http://www.dailymirror.lk/index.php/news/4530-alert-over-buddha-bar-hq.html

Prime Minister D.M. Jayaratne is also the Minister of Buddha Sasana
and Religious Affairs in Sri Lanka and the Sri Lankan constitution
might say that the government should protect Buddhism and so on, but
is it our business to interfere things happening overseas?

Related links:
http://indi.ca/2010/06/buddha-bar-brouhaha/
http://www.buddha-bar.com/

Dharmapala

Jun 22, 2010, 3:10:53 PM6/22/10
to secular-sri-la...@googlegroups.com, Senaratne2
http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/6135605-taking-liquor-and-dancing-before-buddha-statues-sri-lanka-to-take-action
I posted this news report in another website so that other people will also
come to know the caliber of our leaders.
Dharmapala

> --
> group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/secular-sri-lanka-discussions?hl=en

Hemantha

Jun 23, 2010, 12:44:50 PM6/23/10
to secular-sri-la...@googlegroups.com
I am moving your question to the public forum for wider attention.

Muditha, this is not an answer to your original questions, but focus on one topic in your email. Homosexuals in Sri Lanka seems to have a relatively better social environment than many other places in our geographic region. Looks like sri lanka has changed a lot since we were kids... at least Colombo region seems to be changing...That region accounts for a significantly large population... See the 'Colombo Pride' video on front page of today's Sunday Leader. http://www.thesundayleader.lk/ or, video directly at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIV-I3AKBn0&feature=player_embedded I think Secularists everywhere can help/support these minority groups to gain their civil rights and much needed respect in the larger society. They will also support our interest in promoting secular governance. It appears Sri Lanka has been following 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' type of 'attitude' all over the country on this issue; they were not extremely anti-gay in the past as much as western christian nations...Things can change for worse if conservatives tighten their grip. A collective liberal secular voice may be a win-win for all minority interests in the long term... I am inclined to believe things are changing for better; so the radical fundamentalists becoming more vocal and louder ! :) >> For example, I grew up in a world where homosexuality was never discussed (Sri Lanka/home/school (except for making fun of fellow class mate)) and then I came to US. First of all I don't have any problem with someone's sexual preference. My problem with myself is even after being immersed in this culture for the last 11 years, when I meet a new person (man or a woman), I still think of them as heterosexuals. My mind is not programmed yet to consider all the possibilities. I work in a department where only 9 full time employees work. My deputy director is a lesbian. I remember one of my co-workers telling me that and I felt like my co-worker was testing me. Anyway how does this relate to secular topic. Are we too judgemental on people who are not used to see irreligious/non-religious people? For example Nalaka Gunawardana's essay on out website, he was being called by a nurse as "such a Buddhist name" or something similar. Are we too harsh on the nurse? When I read that article first on groundviews, I was mad at the nurse. Come to think of it I am no different than she is. I don't voice it out or don't quite think that way. M

Prasad Mapatuna

Jun 24, 2010, 1:51:46 AM6/24/10
to secular-sri-la...@googlegroups.com
I am not replying to the main topic here but a side comment in
Mudith's original mail. I understand Muditha's point that we all have
prejudices and preconceptions and its just that we may feel that some
of our prejudices are more acceptable than some others that we look
down upon. I get the point. However, this is where we need to make
value judgments.

>> For example Nalaka Gunawardana's essay on out website, he was being called by a nurse
>> as "such a Buddhist name" or something similar. Are we too harsh on the nurse?
>> When I read that article first on groundviews, I was mad at the nurse. Come to think of it I am no different than she is.

If it is about niceties of making everyone happy and also maintaining
"I do not offend anybody" type of stance (which is a noble stance
BTW), I agree that we are being too harsh on the nurse by saying
he/she is having a world-view that belongs in the dumpster of the
history. However, if we want to be change-agents who want to transform
the society, we cannot care too much about such niceties, I guess. We
sometimes may need to harshly point out that we want to discard
certain archaic values, and want to adopt better ones. So we may need
to call out that the Nurse in question need to change her ways.

BTW, How do you feel about someone commenting "that sounds like a low
caste name"? Do we want to be nice to an outdated bigot who looks for
caste differences to feel superior?

Tharindu Roshantha

Jun 25, 2010, 5:29:34 AM6/25/10
to secular-sri-la...@googlegroups.com
Rosanna the executive director of Equal ground will be delighted to hear from you. they organized the event. i went for the 2008 events. it was fun.
equal...@gmail.com
http://www.equal-ground.org

there are two more LGBT groups that i know of.
1. companions of the journey
2. woman's support group

equal grounds is more like rich gay elites
companions of the journey got lot of transsexuals and cross dressers
woman's support group is all about lesbians

even though i am a big supporter of gay rights.. i will not work with any of those people.i have my own reasons. but i encourage you to talk to them and see.

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 10:14 PM, Hemantha <heman...@hotmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Tharindu R. Magallagoda

Blogs : http://achchaaru.blogspot.com
        : http://chaarikaa.blogspot.com
        : http://atalkingpic.blogspot.com

Muditha D Senarath Yapa

Jun 25, 2010, 8:47:54 AM6/25/10
to secular-sri-la...@googlegroups.com
My Original question was
Since I was brought up in a straight, straight, straight world I have a mind prejudiced to take any new person I meet as straight. Similary if one is brought up in a Buddhist, Buddhist, Buddhist world, or a religious, religious, religious world wouldn't they be prejudiced too.

Most Sri Lankan people like most Americans are like "toads in wells"; their own separate wells. They think what they know is the whole world. So if one assumes one's religion is buddhism without asking should we be too harsh on them.

Prasad answered this a little bit. My point is if we start getting mad at people for their prejudices (even to an outdated bigot) we may end up pissing off lot of people. Tolerance can't just be tolerating good/mellow/ethical things. World tolerance probably enclose "outdated bigots" too, because I think the word outdated just indicate that they are living in their own well. Education even a good long conversation may end up doing some good.
--------------------------------
Muditha D. Senarath-Yapa

Jun 25, 2010, 9:55:08 AM6/25/10
to Secular Sri Lanka Discussions
I am a supporter of gay rights myself, for the simple reason that they
are a minority that need help. Also, the gay issue is something that
forces people to rethink their assumptions about how the world works.
It is an exercise that stretch our conciseness. Accepting that gays
are part of the society whom should be able to live with dignity
amongst us, is a big step in the correct direction of human
progression.

However, due to the reasons, perhaps similar to that of Tharindu (not
sure what Tharindu's reasons are though), I like to stay away from any
direct involvement, specially due to the fact that while associated
with SSL in public, any gay connection might be used against us by
people who already misunderstand what SSL stands for. Those who
misunderstand SSL are very likely to use the widespread homophobia to
stir anti SSL sentiments. Therefore I suggest that SSL should stay
away (a tactical avoidance) from having connections with too
controversial groups, in the interest SSL goals.

On Jun 25, 2:29 pm, Tharindu Roshantha <mihis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rosanna the executive director of Equal ground will be delighted to hear
> from you. they organized the event. i went for the 2008 events. it was fun.
> *equalgro...@gmail.comhttp://www.equal-ground.org
>
> there are two more LGBT groups that i know of.
> 1. companions of the journey
> 2. woman's support group
>
> equal grounds is more like rich gay elites
> **companions of the journey got lot of transsexuals and cross dressers *
> woman's support group is all about lesbians
>
> even though i am a big supporter of gay rights.. i will not work with any of
> those people.i have my own reasons. but i encourage you to talk to them and
> see.
>
> *

wild...@aol.com

Jun 25, 2010, 10:45:05 AM6/25/10
to secular-sri-la...@googlegroups.com
I think this fear of criticism from opponents of SSL (who are likely to criticize SSL anyway, regardless of merit) is something the group should not worry about too much.  There need not be any official position taken by the group re: any other matter outside of the secularization issue.  However, re: the gay rights issue - should be supported, in my opinion - if/when the time comes for us to take a stance re: that issue.  In the meantime, we should be open to keeping in touch with all groups that are working to make Sri Lanka better/improve the human rights situation for all - including traditionally oppressed minorities such as gays & lesbians.

- Sujewa

--
Invite your friends and family to join this discussion group:

http://groups.google.com/group/secular-sri-lanka-discussions/members_invite

Hemantha

Jun 25, 2010, 10:56:58 AM6/25/10
to secular-sri-la...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tharindu,  I will inquire and will inform them about this group.  Some may want to join our group.  They all may not support SSL cause though we support civil liberties.
As a group that maintains professional conduct, we are concerned about the civil rights of such minorities in Sri Lanka, not an affiliation with their stereotypical image, socio-cultural trends and life styles.  I think the gay stereotype image that the majority straight people developed in conservative societies has religious/cultural  roots and elements embedded that need to change over the long term.  It is important that we at SSL build an image that the GLBTs feel most welcome here while we represents a completely different sociopolitical issue.

--
Invite your friends and family to join this discussion group:

http://groups.google.com/group/secular-sri-lanka-discussions/members_invite

Hemantha

Jun 25, 2010, 11:23:35 AM6/25/10
to secular-sri-la...@googlegroups.com
Agree with Sujewa - no need to worry about too much... We should support gay rights, provide an atmosphere at SSL for a publicly gay person to feel most welcome in this group without any discrimination.  So far we have not seen a publicly open person here;  an attitude that should change over the long term.  In that sense we have to be expressive about that welcoming attitude, otherwise one cannot be a secularist in the deepest sense, at least I feel.  Buddhist Regime is not anti-gay as much as the gay bashing Catholic Church or Mosque.  Arthur C. Clark moved to Sri Lanka because Sri Lanka was more gay friendly according to him, than the Christian UK during his youth!  :)