Re: [sebhc] Finally got a Z-90 computer

Message has been deleted

Carroll Waddell

Jan 20, 2008, 8:27:32 AM1/20/08
to se...@googlegroups.com
Andrew Lynch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I finally got a Heath/Zenith Z-90 computer. I meant to get an H-89 and I
> did buy one on Ebay but it was damaged in shipping and UPS returned it to
> the sender as part of the damage claim process.
>
> To help fix the H-89, I bought a Z-90 for spare parts. Since the H-89 is
> gone for good, I've decided to repair the Z-90 instead. It is actually in
> pretty good shape.
>
> I am starting to assess for repair the Z-90 and thought I'd update the SEBHC
> group and provide some details of what I am doing. Also ask for some advice
> and any pointers before I do something dumb.
>
> There is no structural damage on the Z-90 and when I power the system up,
> the terminal appears to work in "offline" mode. I can type letters on the
> keyboard and they appear on the screen. The video is reasonably stable and
> clear. The computer does NOT give any sort of power up message.
>
> The main CPU board appears to be dead but that is no surprise. I would like
> to start fault isolating. I believe the problem is in the main CPU board
> but I would like to confirm that theory.
>
> My plan is to first take a lot of digital photos which I did this evening.
> Then remove all the cards from the CPU board and see if that helps.
>
> The Z-90 has three peripherals attached; a serial card with three serial
> ports, a FDC controller based on a WDC 1797 attached to a Tandon TM100-2A as
> best I can tell, and a 16K RAM card with a socket cable jumper to the CPU
> board.
>
> It appears that the only connection between the main CPU board and the
> terminal board is through a serial link. Is that correct?
>
> Since the main CPU board is the primary suspect, what I'd like to do is take
> it out of the circuit and see if the rest works as it should. The plan is
> to confirm the "Z-19 terminal" portion still works by attaching the serial
> port from the terminal board directly to one of the serial ports in the back
> and communicating with a laptop.
>
> Are the serial port plugs compatible with the terminal board serial line
> plug on its back? They look similar but I notice the serial line plug on
> the back of the terminal board has an extra black line.
>
> I have fixed other vintage computers (Horizons, Vector Graphic, homebrew,
> etc) before and I have an oscilloscope, logic probe, and VOM. I have
> downloaded some of the Z-89 and Z-90 documentation and will be reviewing the
> schematics.
>
> The Zenith documentation looks really good. I wish all vintage computers
> were so well documented!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Andrew Lynch

You're right about the serial connection being the only connection. I've
repaired 2 H-89's that I bought. Both had the same problem. Supply
voltages. Both CPU boards had blown tantalum caps, and one had melted
the land pattern coming in from the power supply connector. That's where
I'd start.
Carroll

dwight elvey

Jan 20, 2008, 12:26:20 PM1/20/08
to se...@googlegroups.com

> From: lyn...@yahoo.com
>
> Hi,
>
> I finally got a Heath/Zenith Z-90 computer. I meant to get an H-89 and I
> did buy one on Ebay but it was damaged in shipping and UPS returned it to
> the sender as part of the damage claim process.
>
> To help fix the H-89, I bought a Z-90 for spare parts. Since the H-89 is
> gone for good, I've decided to repair the Z-90 instead. It is actually in
> pretty good shape.
>
> I am starting to assess for repair the Z-90 and thought I'd update the SEBHC
> group and provide some details of what I am doing. Also ask for some advice
> and any pointers before I do something dumb.
>
> There is no structural damage on the Z-90 and when I power the system up,
> the terminal appears to work in "offline" mode. I can type letters on the
> keyboard and they appear on the screen. The video is reasonably stable and
> clear. The computer does NOT give any sort of power up message.
>
> The main CPU board appears to be dead but that is no surprise. I would like
> to start fault isolating. I believe the problem is in the main CPU board
> but I would like to confirm that theory.
>
> My plan is to first take a lot of digital photos which I did this evening.
> Then remove all the cards from the CPU board and see if that helps.
>
> The Z-90 has three peripherals attached; a serial card with three serial
> ports, a FDC controller based on a WDC 1797 attached to a Tandon TM100-2A as
> best I can tell, and a 16K RAM card with a socket cable jumper to the CPU
> board.

Hi
 The Z-90 is mostly identical to the H-89. There are slight differences in
the firmware. It seems it has the softsectored controller. Good and
bad. Most of the library we have for the 89 is hard sectored. Still,
CP/M is easier on the 90 with softsectored.

 As mentioned by Carroll, get supplies up first.

I have a method for finding blown tantalums but most don't understand
it but it is quite effective at finding short. I can describe it but until
one does it a few times, it is different than most expect.

 The connection between the two is just the serial.
Dwight

Message has been deleted

Carroll Waddell

Jan 20, 2008, 1:38:56 PM1/20/08
to se...@googlegroups.com
Andrew Lynch wrote:

> [...]

Someone told me how to diagnose the CPU board. You take the screws out
that hold it in the card frame, then lay the bottom of the CPU board on
top of the CRT, and put the screws back in the top of the CPU board
through the card frame. That lays the CPU board flat on the top of the
CRT. The cable connecting the CPU board to the terminal board in short,
but it will reach (barely). Once on top, you can use a scope to check
signals on the board. When I diagnosed the ones I had, I removed all but
16K of memory chips, and got that working first, then kept adding 16K
until I got to 64K. You will have to use the configuration guide to know
how to set the jumpers on the board.
Carroll

Carroll Waddell

Jan 20, 2008, 1:40:16 PM1/20/08
to se...@googlegroups.com
Andrew Lynch wrote:

> [...]
PS. Swaptronics is a good diagnostic tool. When I used to diagnose large
IBM mainframes, I used "swaptronics" a lot.
Carroll
Message has been deleted

Peter

Jan 21, 2008, 12:52:18 PM1/21/08
to SEBHC
Andrew,

I have read all. I will recommend to remove the serial, floppy and 16K
memory board. YOU HAVE TO SET THE VARIOUS DIP SWITCHES FOR THIS
CASE !!! (write down at first the settings) - Keep in mind that you
have to select the correct memory size - in case you are removing the
chips - you need for the initial setup (H: prompt) ONLY 16K! In case
you don't get the H: with this minimum, you should check the addresss-
and data bus with the scope, if there is any activity. May be that one
or more of the lines are pulled low or high because of a faulty bus
buffer (74ls245, 74ls244, 74ls373 ???). There also two or three PALs
(programmed logic arrays) which differ with the part number according
to the part-number of the monitor ROM ! Read in the manual the various
chip numbers (customer specific - PALs and EPROMs) with the various
jumpers on the board. The first H88/H89 had eproms with 3 supply
voltages (+5,+12,-12V) and the later issues had single supply (+5V).
Check the wire jumpers on board in accordance to the EPROM types.
Concerning the 16K memory board for having total 64K you should notice
that the cable connection uses one of the ram sockets on the cpu
board!!! If you want ONLY 32K you have to remove one of the ram-chips
on the 16k board and you have to put it in the socket on the cpu
board.

REDUCE THE HARDWARE TO A MINIMUM! The system MUST come up to the H:
prompt with only 16K ram and without all intercaces (serial, floppy,
16k upgrade to 64k). In my time as technician in the Austrian Heath/
Zenith representative I had made all repairs on h8, h/z89/h90, z100
and I managed ALL faults. Only once I had a faulty CPU (Z80), but
PALs, memory chips and standard logic devices can become fault. The
supply voltages +5, +12 and -12V can easily be checked and then you
should check the reset on the cpu, the conditions on the address and
data-bus.

Good luck ... will watch your comments here
peter
On 21 Jan., 06:02, "Andrew Lynch" <lync...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
Message has been deleted

Peter

Jan 21, 2008, 2:55:38 PM1/21/08
to SEBHC
Andrew,

Congratulations! A faulty CPU is rare, but in your case okay ... May
be that its a 4 MHz CPU instaed of a 2 Mhz ? ... anyway ... you found
it ... now you can proceed ...

peter

On 21 Jan., 20:27, "Andrew Lynch" <lync...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
Message has been deleted