The Krazy Bird In Northgate

Walter C. Scott

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97

---------------------------- Summary ----------------------------
On Fri, 14 Mar 1997 18:19:49 GMT, alle...@scn.org (SCN User)
responded to a query from another person as to the "Krazy Bird"
in the Northgate area. Alley Cat added the question: "do they
serve lunch now." In addition Alley Cat wanted to know what `food
from sunny climes" equates to.

The Krazy Bird is NOT open for lunch at this time. If they offered
a good and affordable lunch, in terms of what most people could
afford, they would not have enough space to seat customers.

This is a good restaurant lacking decent publicity. Such may explain
why few understand what "food from sunny climes" happens to mean. The
phrase, of course, refers to the motif of the restaurant and the food.
In regard to the former: there are a lot of tropical plants throughout
the restaurant. The decor accommodates the notion of life in "sunny
climes." In regard to the food: it is a mixture of in-house creations
which are intended to present the flavor of Tex-Mex/Southwestern,
Italian and more generally Mediterranean foods, as well as items which
might imply a tropical origin of some sort. But not quite. Many
selections on the menu, for example, may look to have an origin in one
area of the World or another. When you taste that item, you realize
the recipe is several steps apart from the conventional.

BEWARE OF THE FOLLOWING: Due to the tropical plant life, the
restaurant is kept rather warm -- possibly too warm for some people.
The bar area may not be sufficiently separated from the dining area.
Thus, non-smokers may not enjoy that circumstance on a busy night.
Noise may also be a factor when a major sporting event is provided on
the television sets in the bar. This restaurant is not to be
frequented often unless one expects to pay more for their meal than
they would in some well-known and economical eateries. A modest dinner
for two can easily cost $30 while the better options would reach or
pass the $40 range.

Service is prompt and even meticulous. Servers are friendly. For some,
servers may seem to be TOO friendly. (i.e. servers appearing to hover
as explanations are offered concerning the nature of the restaurant
and its cuisine while the server attempts to get acquainted on some
level with the customer) The food, although expensive, is worth the
price.

Bottom line: The Krazy Bird is generally a nice restaurant. However,
it appears as though most would do well to reserve visits for special
occasions.

Walter Scott

--

Please, NO solicitations or other items of junk E-Mail are welcome
at this address!

bc...@scn.org

Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97
to Walter C. Scott

Thanks for the summary... I was wondering what that place was like! BTW
are you the owner?

Walter C. Scott

Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97

---------------------------- Summary ----------------------------
On Fri, 14 Mar 1997 18:19:49 GMT, alle...@scn.org (SCN User)
responded to a query from another person as to the "Krazy Bird"
in the Northgate area. Alley Cat added the question: "do they
serve lunch now" and asked about Krazy Bird's cuisine. Walter
Scott replied by indicating the Krazy Bird is not open for
lunch, and then provided a review of the restaurant.
On Wed, 26 Mar 1997 00:46:05 -0800 bc...@scn.org asked if Walter
Scott is the owner.

Walter Scott is not the owner of the Krazy Bird restaurant, and is
in no way associated with the Krazy Bird restaurant.

Fringe Ryder

Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97

bc...@scn.org wrote:
: Walter C. Scott wrote:
[a very favorable and accurate review of Krazy Bird snipped]
: > Service is prompt and even meticulous. Servers are friendly. For some,

: > servers may seem to be TOO friendly. (i.e. servers appearing to hover
: > as explanations are offered concerning the nature of the restaurant
: > and its cuisine while the server attempts to get acquainted on some
: > level with the customer) The food, although expensive, is worth the
: > price.
: >
: > Bottom line: The Krazy Bird is generally a nice restaurant. However,
: > it appears as though most would do well to reserve visits for special
: > occasions.
: >
: Thanks for the summary... I was wondering what that place was like! BTW
: are you the owner?

I'm pretty sure he's not the owner, and his review matches my experience.
My girlfriend and I hit Krazy Bird last weeek. I was pretty timid about it
- from the signs, I expected a fast-food flame-broiled chicken place - but
it's very nice, good service, popular, and had good food. The steaks are
flavorful, but a bit fatty. Portions are generous. Full liquor service.
We'll go back again. (And ues, prices ran $40 for two.)

Erik Selberg

Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97

fri...@netcom.com (Fringe Ryder) writes:

> : > Service is prompt and even meticulous. Servers are friendly. For some,
> : > servers may seem to be TOO friendly. (i.e. servers appearing to hover
> : > as explanations are offered concerning the nature of the restaurant
> : > and its cuisine while the server attempts to get acquainted on some

> : > Bottom line: The Krazy Bird is generally a nice restaurant. However,

> : > it appears as though most would do well to reserve visits for special
> : > occasions.

> My girlfriend and I hit Krazy Bird last weeek. I was pretty timid about it

> - from the signs, I expected a fast-food flame-broiled chicken place - but
> it's very nice, good service, popular, and had good food. The steaks are
> flavorful, but a bit fatty. Portions are generous. Full liquor service.
> We'll go back again. (And ues, prices ran $40 for two.)

Well, my girlfriend, I, and another friend ate their last night
(Tues), around 9ish. The service was pretty poor, especially
considering there were four waiters with about as many busy tables. We
ordered the Texas Egg Rolls, which were good, albeit very salty (they
use onion _salt_ instead of onion powder). We had ordered drinks along
with the appetizer, and they only came after we had nearly finished
the egg rolls. We also had to ask for water.

The dinners came out fairly quickly once ordered, and the waiter did
step up in service --- probably because he or someone else heard our
muttering. Portions were generous - I had the Calypso Chicken Salad,
which was just _HUGE_. Total bill for the three of us was a bit over
$50.

-Erik

--
Erik Selberg